C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Handbrake operation no effort on parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 03:21 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake operation no effort on parking brake

Hi guys took my 1988 c4 for its mot failed mainly on the handbrake / parking brake little or no effort when brake tested passed on foot brake.

can anyone advise on the following(it has brake cables going to rear brake caliper levers it's not drum disc with handbrake shoes )

i know it it sounds dumb how do you operate the handbrake lever correctly to apply and then release the brake ?

the lever has no resistance and is floppy unless you hold the button in then lift up the park brake lever
let the button out lever flops down ?

how do you release ?

finally any tips on stripping to check and set up handbrake adjustment

thanks alll

its nearly on the road now last hurdle 😂

Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Its been a number of years since I sold my '91 but as I recall......pull lever all the way up and then push in the button and while holding button in push lever down all the way. Now you might want to wait until another member confirms procedure as I said this is all from memory.

Sorry can not answer your other questions.

Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Thanks for that I tool the seat out and handbrake cover so I could see how it works.

i just need to understand how to adjust the handbrake at the brake calipers .

i stripped all the back brakes to check everything is great newish pads nothing seized the handbrake levers in the calipers all free.

i found the little adjuster grub screw on the rear of the calipers they where very tight managed to get them out freed up greased refitted and turning nice.
i tried to understand the manual but it's not very clear.
ps mines a1988 c4 .
it says something like assistant press brakes till pads just stop you from being able to turn the brake disc by hand .
then what do you do keep it in that position and wind the grub screw in till it presses onto the back of the inside brake pad ?

also I put handbrake off and down and linked up the the two holes one on handbrake and other on the pawl

the problem I can see before I make any adjustments is the arms on the calipers have to move a lot before the brake pads touch and apply oressure to the disc.
again before any adjustments with the hand brake pulled up fully it couldn't move the levers far enough to put pressure on the pads against the rear disc/ rotor

so if anyone can advise the correct adjustment procedure in simple terms I'm sure I can do it and I'll have a handbrake lol 😂

it needs one👍
Old 01-17-2019, 12:38 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Dickens
Hi guys took my 1988 c4 for its mot failed mainly on the handbrake / parking brake little or no effort when brake tested passed on foot brake.

can anyone advise on the following(it has brake cables going to rear brake caliper levers it's not drum disc with handbrake shoes )

i know it it sounds dumb how do you operate the handbrake lever correctly to apply and then release the brake ?

the lever has no resistance and is floppy unless you hold the button in then lift up the park brake lever
let the button out lever flops down ?

how do you release ?

finally any tips on stripping to check and set up handbrake adjustment

thanks alll

its nearly on the road now last hurdle ��

Not sure about an 88 but I have owned an 85 and a 95, and it should be the same. To set the brake lift the handle up (don't touch the button) until you feel resistance. The brake light should come on and you should not be able to push the car. To get out of the car, leaving the brake on, push down on the handle, without touching the button; the brake light should still be on and you can now crawl out of the car. To release, pull the handle up as far as you can, then depress the button and hold it in while lowering the handle. Brake light should come off.

If the light goes on but the brake doesn't hold, you need to adjust as per the FSM.

Last edited by markKlein; 01-17-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Thanks that is how it seems to work 👍
Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 PM
braeburn22
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The parking brake on the 88 - 96 is very different from the pre 87 and post 97, the parking brake effectively locks the caliper, to set the brake you should firmly press the brake pedal then firmly pull up the parking brake handle, after pushing the button in, the level is selfadjusting, however the calipers may need adjusted to reduce the free play, this is done by adjusting a small aleen grub screw on the back side of the calipers, effectively you want to reduce the gap between the lever on the caliper and the pin that pushes on the brake piston.
the brake pads must be parallel and in good condition for the adjustment to be successful.
Most years I have ended up renewing the pads to get the parking brake to pass.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Thanks Braeburn for the reply
just to be clear should I adjust the free play at the handbrake levers before pressing the foot brake down holding it down and pulling the handbrake or do press brake pedal pull handbrake then adjust at calipers
thanks a lot 😁👍
Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM
braeburn22
Instructor

You need to adjust the calipers first, the brake press is for setting the handbrake when you use it, don't pull the lever too hard as the cable is held in a plastic cog and the brake lever is now only available used as the part is discontinued.

If the lever on the caliper is misadjusted you can pull the level as hard as you want and the brakes will never hold
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM
braeburn22
Instructor

Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Default Handbrake woes continue

I think I've found the cause of my handbrake issue.
where the cable comes out of the sill from the handbrake it goes across the car to the right hand side caliper if your looking at the car from the rear. Before it goes across the car it mounts into a bracket I think somebody has had a go at the bracket before as you pull on the handbrake the bracket flexs to much so the effort on the handbrake lever arm on the left hand caliper isn't enough .

i will try to attach an image but I can't seem to make it attach it uploads but when I close the picture it's not on my post .

i hope it makes sense. if any anyone can help by posting a pic of what the bracket should look like and it's position i would have something to work from to fabricate a bracket to keep the handbrake cable mounting secure and rigid.

basically it's the first bracket the cable is attached to before it crosses the reat of the car I'm 99% sure if I fix the bracket handbrake will work

ill try to attach image now

thanks 🙏
Old 01-19-2019, 02:20 PM
braeburn22
Instructor

That bracket is there on my 1989 too, it appears to be spring to maintain tension on the front cable.
When the free play is correct at the calipers it takes very little movement to get the parking brake to hold.
The level should fully apply the parking brake in 3 - 5 clicks.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM
braeburn22
Instructor

The brackets for the left and right hand cables must be solid as they work by pulling against each other the apply the brake.
the brake is also affected if one side or the other is significantly out of adjustment.
However the front cable needs the spring loaded bracket to maintain the tension in the parking brake handle.
The design is very unusual as it is designed to allow the brake to be applied the the lever can go back down.
The pre 87 C4 the parking brake handle was in the way of getting in and out, that is the reason for the redesign.
It is worth changing the rear cables as if the cables are linked or frayed it will adversely affect operation.
Everything has to be perfect for the brake to work.
This is why they went back to the drum in disc design for the C5.
I have considered looking for alternative rear calipers as I am sick of the constant adjustment required to keep the parking brake effective.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:16 AM
bp308
Intermediate

Support Corvetteforum!

I don't have a problem with my parking brake setting, but when I release it I can turn the rear wheels, but with a lsight drag. Is that how it should be, or do I need to looen the cable a little bit?

Get notified of new replies

To Handbrake operation no effort on parking brake

Quick Reply: Handbrake operation no effort on parking brake