C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 E-Force Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Joe Link
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 E-Force Build Questions

My 2006 LS2 is completely stock right now, but that’s about to change. I’d like to get some input on the best path for me going forward. Being that this is my daily driver, I have a low tolerance for risk and bad manners. Sitting in the garage at the moment is a set of Kooks LT headers, a set of Kooks catted x-pipes, and a low mileage Edelbrock E-Force 549hp kit. My original plan was to install these (myself), have it tuned, and call it good with my ~450rwhp.

Researching this a bit more I see that it’s highly recommended I buy and pin an aftermarket harmonic balancer and Racetronix fuel pump harness. After looking at the procedures for the HB job it looks like it wouldn’t be much more work to install a cam ‘while I’m in there’. Due to complexity and cost, if I do decide to install a cam I’d go with the LS9. What can I reasonably expect to see by swapping this cam with the stock LS2 cam (considering my other modifications)? By adding this cam will I need larger injectors and/or a replacement in-tank pump if I continue to run the larger (549hp) pulley?

It seems that if I do need to upgrade the fuel system regardless, I might as well run the smaller (599hp) pulley. Dropping the fuel tank for a replacement pump is something I’d likely have to pay to have done, but it seems like the way to go versus one of the other ‘band aid’ solutions (such as a BAP). If I do go through the trouble of installing the cam, the smaller pulley, and the fuel system upgrades, what can I reasonably expect for RWHP? At this point am I going to be near the power capabilities of the E-Force system, or is there still room to grow (and how)? Basically I’m trying to see whether the HP gains are worth the cost and trouble over my original plan of just running the 549hp kit as is
Old 01-17-2019, 07:02 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Get the 599 pulley along with a BAP and Racetronix harness. It's a proven combo. Install it correctly and you won't have any fuel troubles.

Get Pat G to spec you a cam that fits your needs. An LS9 cam is cheap....that's about its only attribute. You need to change the valve springs anyway, so you may as well get a cam that's worth the time and money it takes to swap cams.

I'm guessing you'll be in the 575ish hp range with long tubes, mild cam, and the 599 pulley. You can certainly go up from there, but you're somewhat limited. If you want a whole lot more, stop right now, and get you a centrifugal blower. Whole lot more upside to them. At mild boost on a daily driver, it's hard to beat a TVS though.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Joe Link
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Get the 599 pulley along with a BAP and Racetronix harness. It's a proven combo. Install it correctly and you won't have any fuel troubles.

Get Pat G to spec you a cam that fits your needs. An LS9 cam is cheap....that's about its only attribute. You need to change the valve springs anyway, so you may as well get a cam that's worth the time and money it takes to swap cams.

I'm guessing you'll be in the 575ish hp range with long tubes, mild cam, and the 599 pulley. You can certainly go up from there, but you're somewhat limited. If you want a whole lot more, stop right now, and get you a centrifugal blower. Whole lot more upside to them. At mild boost on a daily driver, it's hard to beat a TVS though.
I appreciate the feedback, thank you. I'm really nervous about a BAP after reading so many horror stories across the net. Being as risk adverse as I am, I'd much rather run the stock cam, 52lbs injectors, and 549hp pulley than risk the BAP cutting out and grenading my engine. Do you think the BAP risks are blown out of proportion? I was under the impression that I wouldn't have the change the valve springs for an LS9 cam. If I do that may be more work than it's worth for such a small upgrade...
Old 01-18-2019, 07:49 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Link
I appreciate the feedback, thank you. I'm really nervous about a BAP after reading so many horror stories across the net. Being as risk adverse as I am, I'd much rather run the stock cam, 52lbs injectors, and 549hp pulley than risk the BAP cutting out and grenading my engine. Do you think the BAP risks are blown out of proportion? I was under the impression that I wouldn't have the change the valve springs for an LS9 cam. If I do that may be more work than it's worth for such a small upgrade...
I think a lot of the horror stories came before folks knew how to properly wire in a BAP using a Racetronix harness. Lots of folks use them with no problems today.

I'd be more worried about using the stock (and probably tired) LS2 valve springs. You can have Cammotion grind you a nice cam with .550 lift (or less) on both sides. Cost is about $250 more than a new LS9 cam. Ask them if they would run the stock LS2 springs with their cam or an LS9 cam. Any cam grinder is going to recommend changing the springs even running a .550 lift cam. Especially with forced induction. If you do go custom grind, I highly recommend buying $35 worth of Pat G's wisdom. I've always found his cam recommendations to be spot on. He'll give you a valve spring recommendation too. So, custom cam and springs will cost $450ish more than just replacing the cam with an LS9 cam. With better springs, you can spec the cam with .610ish lift. More power. That's why you're doing all of this....right?

There may be only one replacement spring from GM for LS2,3,&9's. That doesn't mean that all those springs were the same coming out of the factory. Likewise, GM only has one replacement fuel pump for LS2,3,&7's. It's an LS7 fuel pump. All fuel pumps weren't LS7 pumps on new naturally aspirated C6 Vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 E-Force Build Questions

Quick Reply: LS2 E-Force Build Questions