C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

People who DD their Z...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default People who DD their Z...

People who DD their Z...

Tell me 3 best "things" or features of the car that you enjoy while DDing the car

Tell me 3 "worst" things or features about DDing the car..

If I bought one, I would DD it.. so just looking for input

Thanks

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-18-2019 at 03:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HorsePowerObsessed (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Wildwildwest
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Best:
1 - Overall comfort (seats, control layout, technology, adjustable exhaust, magnetic ride) all make for a Jeckel/Hyde experience...quiet, smooth, docile when you want it, and race car when you want it...truly best of both worlds in one car
2 - Seemingly effortless power at minimal throttle positions
3 - Overall handling and responsiveness
4 - if I could have a 4th...it just looks kick ***

Worst:
1 - Tire/road noise...very noticeable. Ok when radio off, but with radio on it completes with bass and becomes annoying
2 - Hard to get in and out of if your trying to minimize rubbing and wear on seat bolsters
3 - Seat memory/egresss setting that periodically decides to not work and/or requires specific seat distance from full back is just a stupid problem to have.

Overall, I have no regrets deciding to use as DD and the miles of smiles I have every time I drive it are far greater and have not diminished over 4 months and 1300miles of ownership.
ZR1Bob (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Worst: ingress and egress, center AV stack (2015) is slow, low seating position, not great in bad weather

Best: Great ride and drive, big trunk, and its a convertible!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:55 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildwildwest
Best:
1 - Overall comfort (seats, control layout, technology, adjustable exhaust, magnetic ride) all make for a Jeckel/Hyde experience...quiet, smooth, docile when you want it, and race car when you want it...truly best of both worlds in one car

Worst:
1 - Tire/road noise...very noticeable. Ok when radio off, but with radio on it completes with bass and becomes annoying
2 - Hard to get in and out of if your trying to minimize rubbing and wear on seat bolsters
3 - Seat memory/egresss setting that periodically decides to not work and/or requires specific seat distance from full back is just a stupid problem to have.

Overall, I have no regrets deciding to use as DD and the miles of smiles I have every time I drive it are far greater and have not diminished over 4 months and 1300miles of ownership.

I certainly agree entirely with this assessment and would add that I always get a lot of looks an compliments where ever I go with it, even though the body style is now 5-6 years old. I added DynaMat to the rear of the car which lessened the tire noise but it is still very noticeable. And getting in and out is indeed a bit problematic, especially for us old guys. And pretty soon with my wife in the car I will need to take off the roof and get an engine hoist to remove her. And I still love the car--16,000 miles including two 2,500 mile trips.--Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 01-18-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Best:

Worst:

Totally agree!!! I did add the DSC controller and it significantly improved the overall ride quality without giving up handling.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:38 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Definitely a fantastic car and you absolutely can daily drive it. I'd say the only "bad" part would be getting in and out (especially in a tight parking space) but other than that it's all great. I actually made a video about this exact topic you may want to check out!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:29 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

I DD my '16 Z06 - 2 years and 22,000 miles so far. I honestly don't normally notice the road noise but since it's my DD, I've not driven another car with better sound proofing. My backup vehicle is an '05 Tahoe for reference. I tend to listen to audiobooks on my commute and, when using CarPlay, I don't have any issues with the audio being drowned out by road noise. When I'm using BlueTooth, that's a different matter. All my music has been downloaded using Apple Lossless so the bit rate is much higher than a normal MP3/4 so you also need less volume.
I love the comfort of the car - coming out of work and seeing it waiting for me is worth any compromises.
Visibility is a bit more challenging than other cars - I have the Z07 package but did remove the "clear" wickerbill from the rear spoiler. Don't need the extra down force for street driving and it increases rearward visibility, especially in the evenings. With the mirrors properly adjusted, I don't have much of an issue with visibility - just make sure to turn your head to ensure no one is in your blind spot before changing lanes.
HorsePowerObsessed (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:55 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

I drive mine at least 3-4 days a week and I agree with most of the above
Pros
1. Put the car in tour mode and is will rival most sedans for smoothness of the ride. I did change my tires to MPSS AS3+ for cold weather driving and that made a slight improvement as well
2. Cant rival the power and handling in a DD street car. The sound can be tuned how you like it
3. For a sports car the abiltiy to pack two sets of golf clubs or a couple small/med suitcases is nice. Can road trip for a couple weeks without problem.

Cons
1. For bigger guys like me (6'/250#) getting out in tight spaces can be a challenge at times
2. Factory brake pads make way too much dust/mess of the wheels. Swapped those out shortly after taking possesion
3. Weak performance of the heated/ventilated seats. Half the time can barely feel any heat
Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I daily mine as much as weather permits here in Oregon. I don’t drive it in the rain as it’s not fun. However the ride,power and looks make it an amazing drive. I don’t have anything negative to say about it. Even the M7 is perfectly streetable in rush hour traffic.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Rsharpatx
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Daily Z06

i have had mine since 11/6/18 and in a just a couple months I have put 6300 miles on her.

The Bad - Memory seats that seem to have a mind of their own. Some rattles in the interior that intend to bring up at next oil change. Sometimes the blue tooth has a mind of its own.

The Good - well your in a corvette Z06!!! I have been impressed actually with driving in sub par weather. I have had a many of 30 degree days pouring down rain. I just throw her in weather mode and you pretty much have to drive it like an idiot before it will spin. Touring mode and the ride is surprisingly comfortable. I regularly make 200+ mile trips and it is as comfortable if not more comfortable than a couple CTS’s that I have owned. Sunny days and a curvy road = living the dream.

The best part - is the smile and pure laughter I get from every time I mash on the throttle. But this is my dream car so I am biased 🤗
HorsePowerObsessed (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsharpatx
i have had mine since 11/6/18 and in a just a couple months I have put 6300 miles on her.

The Bad - Memory seats that seem to have a mind of their own. Some rattles in the interior that intend to bring up at next oil change. Sometimes the blue tooth has a mind of its own.

The Good - well your in a corvette Z06!!! I have been impressed actually with driving in sub par weather. I have had a many of 30 degree days pouring down rain. I just throw her in weather mode and you pretty much have to drive it like an idiot before it will spin. Touring mode and the ride is surprisingly comfortable. I regularly make 200+ mile trips and it is as comfortable if not more comfortable than a couple CTS’s that I have owned. Sunny days and a curvy road = living the dream.

The best part - is the smile and pure laughter I get from every time I mash on the throttle. But this is my dream car so I am biased 🤗
Agreed on everything!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:02 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Best:

Worst:

I think this sums it up nicely. I initially had SC2s on the car, but replaced the with PSSs in December. Made a nice improvement in road noise and ride compliance. The car still tramlines a bit but not as much as with the SC2s. Also, couldn't agree more about the seat memory egress setting. I ended up changing the egress so the seat is fixed and just move the steering wheel all the way up and in. Was having egress issues probably a third of the time I got in the car.

Mike
Old 01-19-2019, 02:35 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer
I think this sums it up nicely. I initially had SC2s on the car, but replaced the with PSSs in December. Made a nice improvement in road noise and ride compliance. The car still tramlines a bit but not as much as with the SC2s. Also, couldn't agree more about the seat memory egress setting. I ended up changing the egress so the seat is fixed and just move the steering wheel all the way up and in. Was having egress issues probably a third of the time I got in the car.

Mike
Everyone having issues with the seats... Try this video

https://youtu.be/1cPQWIHFDdE
Old 01-19-2019, 04:45 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

If you swap out for the Michelin AS3+ tires (tirerack.com) the road noise is significantly reduced and you get to hear the supercharger, engine and exhaust much better. You also save yourself a lot of stress on damp, wet or cold roads.

Exit mode on seats/steering wheel is highly recommended. Key is to NOT let the seatback touch the bulkhead behind the seat in ANY programmed setting INCLUDING exit mode. If you do, the system goes nuts.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:49 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The drivers seat bottom bolster on left hurts my leg and thigh. Having seat cushion made to resolve this issue.
z51vett
Doug
Old 01-19-2019, 06:53 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
Everyone having issues with the seats... Try this video

https://youtu.be/1cPQWIHFDdE
The link isn't working for me, but I'm assuming it's a video that would have told me that I habe to get the seat up off the travel limit switches for proper operation. I previously adjusted the seat up and forward for egress to try to fix the problem, but it seems to be getting worse lately.

Mike
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Best and worst reasons for daily driving isn't much different between the Z51 I had and the Z06 other than the smile on my face every morning and afternoon is much bigger with the Z06.

You could argue too much power, pretty much the case for the street, and tires cost more for the Z06 but that comes with the territory.

Others have mentioned tire noise but I've only had Vettes for my DD's since '93. C4,5,6 and two C7's so I'm immune to it if it's there.

The new Michelin AS 3+ tires are great for the Z if not tracking it and you drive in cold and/or wet weather.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 01-19-2019 at 10:39 PM.
intensifi (01-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To People who DD their Z...

Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 PM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

I travel a lot for work and so I can't say I truly "DD" it and I've only had mine since 11/3/2018 and 1720 miles....

But:
1: Torque....this car is so easy to drive around....even starting in 3rd gear isn't a problem. Need some acceleration to get around someone? Just push the pedal.
2: AS3+ tires are fantastic for anything under 60 degrees. No ackerman effect hopping even below freezing and lots less tire noise...it's downright quiet inside compared to my other vehicles. Great in the wet, too.
3: All the goodies...my other cars are more spartan, so the seat heaters, nav, bluetooth, driving modes (wet works great to keep you not going off the road sideways!) and more...
4: As mentioned...add a 4th...the looks....I love seeing this car.

1: I don't get to drive it enough!
2: Gassing it up...sometimes you find a pump that it's just not happy with and it takes a while of slow pumping to get it filled up.
3: Finding decent parking...so many places like using smaller painted spaces now and I prefer to have some space between me and the next car...long doors on the Corvette and people who can't park in the first place.

It's headed with me to Daytona for the Rolex on Wednesday morning! If all goes well about 1,800 miles in less than a week!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Minor thread hijack.
For those of you with intermittent memory seat issues.

Follow this exactly. It worked for me. This video has been on this forum many times. Don't forget to raise the steering wheel to set the exit setting for easy exit and entry.

Last edited by Keppler; 01-20-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 PM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

That's something I've not had an issue with is the memory seats. Always carry the FOB #1 and discovered that if you haven't set the parking brake and have the car off before opening the door, it just doesn't work. You can move the seat if you have to hop out of a running car and back in, moving the seat back when you get out (or use the EXIT button), and once back inside hold the #1 (or #2 depending on which setting you want) and get back to where you were. I'm also 5'9" and don't need the seat all the way back in normal driving, but I do like it all the way down and mine works well...except when I don't follow directions. Every time I think it didn't work for some reason, I can trace it to my getting the door open before putting on the parking brake or similar.

Quick Reply: People who DD their Z...