C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl wrap on interior Corvette leather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Paulzy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vinyl wrap on interior Corvette leather?

Greetings,

(I know this sounds crazy) but, I was wonder how vinyl wrap would work to cover and protect the lower door leather from entrance foot scuffs or to hide old ugly leather? What are the problems it could cause the leather? It may look weird, but if suitable on leather it must be better than those ugly plastic door protectors?

On your own first hand experiences, please tell me you experiences?

Please feel free to offer brand name, costs, vendors, pics, product work-ability, problems, positives, etc.

Note: "Please, I am soliciting responses from only those who have personal experience in this matter. Please don't pontificate on matters of inexperienced opinion."

Thanks Paulzy
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

No experience but I would think that any sort of adhesive anything would actually damage the (fake) leather if you tried to remove it. Honestly, seat covers would be your best bet or just browse some used car parts and find low mileage seat for replacement when/if you sell the car.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

The leather has to breath if you put a wrap on it the leather will be damage really fast. That is if you are talking about a wrap like glue that like on the cars like xpel… Now if it is plastic it will be good over it.. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 01-18-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

You seem to be talking about the lower part of the door by the speaker and storage nook. That's hard plastic. Not leather. Wrap it in whatever you want. You won't hurt it.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:34 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
You seem to be talking about the lower part of the door by the speaker and storage nook. That's hard plastic. Not leather. Wrap it in whatever you want. You won't hurt it.
Agree, but you would not want to put a plastic wrap over the speaker grille. That would "muffle" the speaker and probably sound terrible.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:07 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by FireRoc
Agree, but you would not want to put a plastic wrap over the speaker grille. That would "muffle" the speaker and probably sound terrible.
I'm not sure why anyone would think I meant wrap the speaker grille...
Old 01-18-2019, 04:16 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Whrn I grew up in the 60s and 70s people used to put clear vinyl on their car seats to protect them. Why would I want yo protect my nice leather seats to protect them for guy I sell them to? I would rather enjoy them myself thank you. Btw...grandma put vinyl slip covers on her furniture too......again she saved the furniture for the peson she sold them to.

​​​​​
Old 01-19-2019, 09:23 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gliot1
Whrn I grew up in the 60s and 70s people used to put clear vinyl on their car seats to protect them. Why would I want yo protect my nice leather seats to protect them for guy I sell them to? I would rather enjoy them myself thank you. Btw...grandma put vinyl slip covers on her furniture too......again she saved the furniture for the peson she sold them to.

​​​​​
I completely agree!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Paulzy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not talking about covering leather car seats. I'm talking about what appears to be fake or simulated leather on the lower door! I also never suggested covering the speaker grill!

It's unfortunate that the individuals that commented on my post never took the time and consideration to read the information contained there within. They just rambled on about their sorted history about their grandma.

Everyone seems to have an opinion, even when it's irrelevant.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:14 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulzy
I'm not talking about covering leather car seats. I'm talking about what appears to be fake or simulated leather on the lower door! I also never suggested covering the speaker grill!

It's unfortunate that the individuals that commented on my post never took the time and consideration to read the information contained there within. They just rambled on about their sorted history about their grandma.

Everyone seems to have an opinion, even when it's irrelevant.
Welcome to the magic of the internet. I call most of it "anti-social media". This site has more good content than most. And bold font probably not needed...
Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

OP I think you will be the first if you choose to try and protect this area. Please let us know/see your results.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

OP - There are many cars that are delivered to the Dealer with exactly the kind of protective covering that you describe over door panel surfaces exactly like our Corvettes. My guess is that you can wrap without any problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Vinyl wrap on interior Corvette leather?

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrap on interior Corvette leather?