C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get the road hazard tire 'n wheel for 5 years for for $842+ Tax?

Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Default Should I get the road hazard tire 'n wheel for 5 years for for $842+ Tax?

Also covers cosmetic damage to the z06 rims if I scrape or hit the curb. Unlimited uses and zero deductible at any chevy dealer. Worth it?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Shop around. I purchased a 5-year, tire/wheel policy for $540, when I took delivery of my new '18 from Mike Furman at Criswell. It's already paid for itself in the 1st year with 1 replaced rear tire, and 1 repaired front.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:11 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 303 Posts

Yep, get it now, one bent wheel will pay for it.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

My policy is zero deductible and offers full coverage ONLY if you take it back to the selling dealer. That happens to be OK with me since I live close to Criswell and have my car serviced there.

However, on my first puncture, I explored getting it replaced at a closer dealer, and the insurance company said there would be a co-pay of about $100. They suggested taking it to the dealer who sold me the policy.

Ask questions about that before you buy.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2019 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yaupon (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
My policy is zero deductible and offers full coverage ONLY if you take it back to the selling dealer. That happens to be OK with me since I live close to Criswell and have my car serviced there.

However, on my first puncture, I explored getting it replaced at a closer dealer, and the insurance company said there would be a co-pay of about $100. They suggested taking it to the dealer who sold me the policy.

The one Im quoted is good at ANY chevy dealer or ASE repair shop nationwide but also covers cosmetic damage to the black wheels if I curb them, etc.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

OP, I sent you a PM.

Foosh, I also bought mine from Criswell for my Grand Sport. They saved me 300 bucks over a quote I got from another often used dealer here. The warranty for the Grand Sport, and Z06 wheels and tires is a bit more for the obvious reasons. Also, I think that dealer looking for the co-pay may have been scamming you. I was also told the warranty is good at any Chevy dealer.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-18-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Rayland
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

desibaba;

No, If you carry collision on your auto policy? you may be able to claim wheel damage, less your deductible.

*You may by duplicating your insurance. *

Please contact your Insurance Agent, and verify your exposure to tire & wheel damage.

Many thanks,

Ray
Old 01-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
OP, I sent you a PM.

Foosh, I also bought mine from Criswell for my Grand Sport. They saved me 300 bucks over a quote I got from another often used dealer here. The warranty for the Grand Sport, and Z06 wheels and tires is a bit more for the obvious reasons. Also, I think that dealer looking for the co-pay may have been scamming you. I was also told the warranty is good at any Chevy dealer.
Rebel,

No it wasn't the dealer, it was the insurance company who told me that. Yes, it's good at any dealer, BUT they said it is only guaranteed to cover full cost at the selling dealer. That's because they have an agreed upon price with Criswell that will not necessarily be honored by any other dealer.

The insurance company also said you'd have to file the claim yourself at another dealer, whereas Criswell handled all the paperwork on both my claims. I was in and out both times at a total cost of $0, without even having to talk to the insurance company. I found all of this out, when I called the company when the first puncture occurred, and they sent me claim forms to fill out. The person I talked to said I'd be smart to take it back to the selling dealer, so I did.

It kinda reminds me of medical insurance and "preferred provider" rates.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 908 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Rayland
desibaba;

No, If you carry collision on your auto policy? you may be able to claim wheel damage, less your deductible.

Please contact your Insurance Agent, and verify your exposure to tire & wheel damage.

Many thanks,

Ray
Ray - this is good advice, I will be asking with our agent soon.

Also, I was told by the dealership that the wheel & tire package does not cover chrome wheels. Anyone else hear this?

Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Rebel,

No it wasn't the dealer, it was the insurance company who told me that. Yes, it's good at any dealer, BUT they said it is only guaranteed to cover full cost at the selling dealer. That's because they have an agreed upon price with Criswell that will not necessarily be honored by any other dealer.

The insurance company also said you'd have to file the claim yourself at another dealer, whereas Criswell handled all the paperwork on both my claims. I was in and out both times at a total cost of $0, without even having to talk to the insurance company. I found all of this out, when I called the company when the first puncture occurred, and they sent me claim forms to fill out. The person I talked to said I'd be smart to take it back to the selling dealer, so I did.

It kinda reminds me of medical insurance and "preferred provider" rates.
Well crap, I'm going to have to have a long talk with the guy at Criswell. Going back to them is out of the question for me. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:58 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rayland
desibaba;

Many thanks,

Ray
Be careful of making claims on your insurance. Even the roadside assistance that they offer is considered a claim. Too many claims = Premiums goes up.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Well crap, I'm going to have to have a long talk with the guy at Criswell. Going back to them is out of the question for me. Thanks for the tip.
Well, look on the bright side, it's still cheaper than any tire/wheel policy I've ever purchased, and it will cover the majority of the cost, which is a hell of a lot better than eating the whole thing yourself.
Rebel Yell (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Well, look on the bright side, it's still cheaper than any tire/wheel policy I've ever purchased, and it will cover the majority of the cost, which is a hell of a lot better than eating the whole thing yourself.

So true brother.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,449 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Just an insurance policy, and the general rule is you never insure what you can afford to cover yourself. I have never done any kind of maintenance insurance policy on any car. I would have never come out ahead on any one car or the sum total of all of my cars on these policies. If you can afford a Vette you can afford to repair it, if not maybe buy a Honda Civic. When I bought my Vette they tried to sell me regular coverage, wheel coverage and remote coverage which would have cost me total about $4k. I can do a lot of repairs for $4k.......unless car repairscwill bankrupt you, roll the dice. I used to sell these insurance policues and they are good money makers......it always benefits the seller and they more buyers they get the more they make. Thry dont sell these for your benefit but because the dealer and policy company make good money with them. Yes if you damage one wheel you might break even. I have had loads of cars and never damaged a wheel to break even. Oh and btw wheels can be totally repaired like new for about $300.....
Old 01-18-2019, 04:55 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 556 Posts

Shop around. I purchased a 5-year, tire/wheel policy for $540, when I took delivery of my new '18 from Mike Furman at Criswell. It's already paid for itself in the 1st year with 1 replaced rear tire, and 1 repaired front.
Lucky you, I paid $773.00 for the 5-year, tire/wheel policy back in May 2018 on my brand new 2019 Z from Mike back then Unless you have a Stingray and your tires are different from the Z

Last edited by mdolandese; 01-18-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:08 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 605 Posts

^^^ I would suspect that the GS and Z policy would cost more, since there is a greater likelihood of them getting bent based on all the posts here.

Last edited by lakemg; 01-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:50 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I had to be TALKED into the wheel and tire policy....3 tires later I am glad the finance mgr succeeded.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Sandi587
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took the policy for my car offered by McMulkin. Don’t remember the exact price, but I have used it for three new tires. It has paid for itself and I still have another two years on the policy. To me it was cheap insurance. Especially as where I live there is all kinds of crud in the roadways.
Rebel Yell (01-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get the road hazard tire 'n wheel for 5 years for for $842+ Tax?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I get the road hazard tire 'n wheel for 5 years for for $842+ Tax?