Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

BUYER BEWARE!!!! we have a scammer in our midst

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:59 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BUYER BEWARE!!!! we have a scammer in our midst

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

I purchased a differential from LMDNC5. He billed the unit as an RPM stage 3 3 rib differential. It even had an RPM tag on it. I drove to Arkansas to purchase the differential and trade my stock one, and upheld 100% of my end of the deal. When I got home and got the differential installed, with fresh fluid (according to RPM's website), I took the car for a drive and noticed and IMMEDIATE and very loud "whine" coming from the differential. After 20 miles of driving I put the car back on the lift and dropped the fluid and it was very metallic. Something is wrong with the differential. I pulled the differential out of the car and sent it directly to RPM. RPM gave me a call yeserday (Jan 17, 2019) and informed me that the differential was NOT an RPM diff and had no parts that they build diffs with. The clutches and bearings showed excessive heat, and the ring had not been set up correctly as there is a lot of scoring on the teeth and play.

Lee told me he purchased the differential, and that he had it in his supercharged c5 until the engine blew up. He told me that he had only put maybe 500 miles on it, along with some autocrosses, and was putting the car back to stock after blowing the engine.

Only after I contacted him did he change his story. Now he claims that he purchased the differential from another member on this forum. He now says theres no way to know how many miles are on it, as he purchased it second hand.

It's obvious that he KNEW there was a problem with this differential and LIED to me about it. He refuses to refund my money. Lee is a scumbag and buyers should be VERY AWARE of this situation when purchasing any parts from him. He cannot be trusted and will change his story.

I'm a man of my word. I have never/will never sell someone a junk part. This is not a situation where I ran the differential for an entire summer and beat the hell out of it, and now demanding money back. I installed this differential and IMMEDIATELY had issues. I contacted him directly to try to resolve this, but he would rather scam people out of money than do the right thing. Below you can find the pictures, directly from RPM that show the damage. This will end up costing me more than had I purchased their differential directly. Scumbags like this are what's wrong with the world today!

Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I wish you luck and hope you can resolve this issue. I have dealt with this user in the past but I had a very positive experience with him. Hope it works out for you.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:24 PM
LMDNC5
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15,'19

I told him I bought on the forum put it in my dedicated auto cross car and never had a problem.I also included a trans brace in the deal I dont know what he did installing it but it was in good shape. the RPM tag was on it when I bought it never thought any different because there were no problems
Old 01-18-2019, 04:35 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LMDNC5
I told him I bought on the forum put it in my dedicated auto cross car and never had a problem.I also included a trans brace in the deal I dont know what he did installing it but it was in good shape. the RPM tag was on it when I bought it never thought any different because there were no problems

that is is a bold faced lie. Just more of the same from this dude. He got what he wanted: a usable differential, and the price he was asking for. Scumbag
Old 01-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

I don’t know how you do things, but I was raised that a mans word is his worth. You’re worthless. I have given you the opportunity to do the right thing. I waited until I had RPM’s verdict before asking for a refund. The fact that it’s not even and RPM diff is what gets me the most. You slapped a tag on the differential and sold it to me as such. Either that or you got screwed, and passed it on to me. You said the differential was low mile, with about 500 miles on it. We had a 30 minute phone conversation about this.

You’re a liar. I hope you sleep well knowing you screwed over someone that would NEVER do the same to someone else.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 PM
LMDNC5
Drifting

I will sleep fine I did nothing wrong
Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 PM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Charris003

I don’t know how you do things, but I was raised that a mans word is his worth. You’re worthless. I have given you the opportunity to do the right thing. I waited until I had RPM’s verdict before asking for a refund. The fact that it’s not even and RPM diff is what gets me the most. You slapped a tag on the differential and sold it to me as such. Either that or you got screwed, and passed it on to me. You said the differential was low mile, with about 500 miles on it. We had a 30 minute phone conversation about this.

You’re a liar. I hope you sleep well knowing you screwed over someone that would NEVER do the same to someone else.
Do you have emails or PMs to show he is the scumbag you claim he is?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jpb1978
all done over the phone. However RPM is going to email me their findings.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

my problem is I don’t believe small claims court will even be a possibility as the transaction was done in cash. The only thing I can do is warn people of what kind of guy they’re dealing with.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

why would I have texted him this if he didn’t tell me this was a diff he got from RPM and had super low miles?

Last edited by Charris003; 01-18-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Charris003

all done over the phone. However RPM is going to email me their findings.

and here’s the fluid that came out of it after the test drive. Mind you I put brand new fluid in, obviously, and the car has a new clutch. There was no beating on the car. Fluid is RPM spec per their website (valvoling synthetic 75/90 with gm limited slip additive).

Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

This is just going to be a "he said, she said" kind of thing - I spent about an hour searching both of your forum history to see what I could find and I couldn't find the original seller of this fake RPM trans.

Charris003 - Thank you for letting us all know about your misfortune, it is a valuable lesson for all of us on how badly private transactions can go. However without more actual proof about the transaction, there isn't much else to be done or talked about really.
LMDNC5 - As an active member of this forum, I would think this transaction should have been handled better. I really find it strange you sold this as an RPM transmission with no paperwork, yet it was physically tagged as such even. It is possible you were a victim here as well, yet you don't seem to be acting like it is strange it turned out not to be an RPM transmission you bought previously.

The only reason I think this thread should continue is to get to the bottom of who falsely sold this trans as an RPM unit first, and if there was a way to verify it was an RPM unit without sending it to them for inspection.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jglassmaker
This is just going to be a "he said, she said" kind of thing - I spent about an hour searching both of your forum history to see what I could find and I couldn't find the original seller of this fake RPM trans.

Charris003 - Thank you for letting us all know about your misfortune, it is a valuable lesson for all of us on how badly private transactions can go. However without more actual proof about the transaction, there isn't much else to be done or talked about really.
LMDNC5 - As an active member of this forum, I would think this transaction should have been handled better. I really find it strange you sold this as an RPM transmission with no paperwork, yet it was physically tagged as such even. It is possible you were a victim here as well, yet you don't seem to be acting like it is strange it turned out not to be an RPM transmission you bought previously.

The only reason I think this thread should continue is to get to the bottom of who falsely sold this trans as an RPM unit first, and if there was a way to verify it was an RPM unit without sending it to them for inspection.

this isn’t a transmission. It’s a differential. It had the RPM metal band on it. My trusting nature, and Lee’s ability to lie satisfied me and I did the transaction.

Youre right, it’s he said-he said. The thing is: IM the one out another $1900... I have no reason to post this is I wasn’t scammed. The problems presented themselves IMMEDIATELY after I installed the diff.

I understand there are those of you that don’t believe me, or don’t believe him. Ask yourself: what motive would I have? Would I go through the trouble of sending the differential into RPM and paying another $2k to get $1000 back?! Would I have driven clear to Arkansas from Lincoln Ne to buy a differential if I would have been told it had unknown miles etc? Seriously... think about it.

This dude scammed me. My trusting nature has me holding the proverbial bag.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Not going to insert myself into this dispute but I am gonna say I have known Lee for years and find it hard to believe he would knowingly sell you a defective item. I am moving this to the transactions and feedback section where it belongs and you two can work it out or not.

One more thing, any more posts promoting violence or offers to commit such acts will result in a perma ban from the site.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I don’t know LMDNC5 but he should know that I for one will not risk purchasing anything from him. I’m not accusing him of anything deceptive but the apparent lack of concern for selling a defective and or deceptive part and not making it right speaks volumes. All my transactions on the forum have been first rate and it should be everyone’s mission to be fair with the people in our community. I have a pretty good idea of how I would handle this if I were involved but I wouldn’t ignore the unbalance of this transaction. Hoping you guys can work something out.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 PM
Charris003
Intermediate

Originally Posted by f6john
I don’t know LMDNC5 but he should know that I for one will not risk purchasing anything from him. I’m not accusing him of anything deceptive but the apparent lack of concern for selling a defective and or deceptive part and not making it right speaks volumes. All my transactions on the forum have been first rate and it should be everyone’s mission to be fair with the people in our community. I have a pretty good idea of how I would handle this if I were involved but I wouldn’t ignore the unbalance of this transaction. Hoping you guys can work something out.

unfortunately it it doesn’t seem there will be any “working” anything out. Lee has made it clear he doesn’t care, and isn’t a man of his word. The only thing I can do it attempt to warn people of the scam artist he is.

It seems as if the admins here may have his back and I, the one that was scammed, have now received a PM that essentially equates to a cease and desist.

What a sad world we live in where I am the one that I am the one that got scammed, yet because I’m not a “senior member” I’m being quashed.

All of this would have been resolved without bringing it to the forums attention had he done the right thing and refunded my money, or at least part of it.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:12 AM
Mojointn
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not acquainted with either party involved. I can see both sides because I have been on both sides. I sold a part that I know was good and was tested by the buyer before he paid. One week later he said it was bad. I ended up giving a partial refund just to settle the issue. I was also screwed on a fuel injection setup. After all the lies I have some pretty-expensive wall art. All I gained on that deal was life lessons. Sometimes on higher dollar items pay the extra money and buy from the manufacturer. At least you know you are getting what you pay for. As I was reading the post I saw mention of a transmission brace. I do not know true this is as I am not an expert by any means but I was told that if the brace is over tighten it will make the differential whine and can do damage. I do know there are a specific tightening sequence on these braces. That doesn't change the fact that you were under the impression you were getting an actual RPM differential. The seller may have thought he had a actual RPM unit. If I had it in front of me and saw the tag I would think it was legitimate part. It all boils down to whether or not you were (intentionally) deceived. If it was intentional wait on karma. I got to give recognition to the moderators on the forum. They do try to keep the scammers out.

Get notified of new replies

To BUYER BEWARE!!!! we have a scammer in our midst

Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 AM
LMDNC5
Drifting

I have never sold anything on the forum without disclosing what I knew about part. This differential was in good condition when it left my shop. What happened in the next month is out of my control. I do know he has no experience doing this because he did not even drain the rear end he brought me.Fluid was all over the back out his truck and he put mine in the truck and left with a trans brace that I gave him included at no extra cost. Because of bad weather in the area I offered him a place to stay in my home until storm passed. The threats that I have received from other forum members who are ignorant to any knowledge of transaction is uncalled for. I sold him a diff with a Rpm plate on it just as I purchased it. I used this in a dedicated auto cross car and never had any problems or noise.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I have never sold anything on the forum without disclosing what I knew about part. This differential was in good condition when it left my shop. What happened in the next month is out of my control. I do know he has no experience doing this because he did not even drain the rear end he brought me.Fluid was all over the back out his truck and he put mine in the truck and left with a trans brace that I gave him included at no extra cost. Because of bad weather in the area I offered him a place to stay in my home until storm passed. The threats that I have received from other forum members who are ignorant to any knowledge of transaction is uncalled for. I sold him a diff with a Rpm plate on it just as I purchased it. I used this in a dedicated auto cross car and never had any problems or noise.
if I understand the transaction correctly, you got his diff and cash on top for a RPM modified diff. If that is how you represented the diff, surely you can see the problem even if the diff performed well for you. Maybe you embrace the “buyer beware” philosophy?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Charris003
Intermediate

and the the story keeps changing... you originally mentioned that you might have a room, then said you have friends or family over. No worries, I wouldn’t have put you out like that anyways.

The differential was strapped down in my truck. I left the fluid in so that you could see that there was no metal in it etc.

no experience doing this? Hmm... you’re right: I have a 2 post lift in my garage because I have no experience working on cars.

Keep making excuses scumbag, you sold me a junk diff and you know it. I was very reasonable, in fact I didn’t even ask for any money back until I got the final work FROM RPM. Your stories keep changing.

Lee Douglas is a scam artist and should not be trusted.

Quick Reply: BUYER BEWARE!!!! we have a scammer in our midst