Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Switched Source

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Pete Schweaty
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default C6 Switched Source

Does anyone know if there is a switched source in the rear of a C6? I installed a backup camera yesterday and wired it to the reverse light. But now I am thinking I want to be able to turn it on whenever I want from the head unit. I would rather not run another wire from the rear of the vehicle up to the passenger footwell unless thats the only option. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:20 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

What kind of head unit are you using ? On my Pioneer, I can switch either the front or rear cameras on anytime I want from the head unit.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Pete Schweaty
Advanced

Kenwood ddx9704s. I can switch it to camera, but unless the reverse light is on, the camera isn’t powered. I thought I could wire it to an ACC source so that I can view it when the car isn’t in reverse.

Last edited by Pete Schweaty; 01-19-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:23 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty
Kenwood ddx9704s. I can switch it to camera, but unless the reverse light is on, the camera isn’t powered. I thought I could wire it to an ACC source so that I can view it when the car isn’t in reverse.
Sorry, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Kenwood's, my back camera comes on when in reverse, but I can also turn it and the front camera on when not in reverse from the head unit anytime I want, that's a feature of the Pioneer unit I have. I'm afraid if you connect a switched source to the wire you have from the reverse light to your camera every time you switch it on your reverse lights would also come on.

Last edited by madsonp; 01-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty
It is possible but you will have to run wires to the back and make a setup with a relay driven by the back up lamp source to power the camera when in reverse, then if you send a signal from another source (like a switch) the backup lamp wont go on.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 AM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
Sorry, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Kenwood's, my back camera comes on when in reverse, but I can also turn it and the front camera on when not in reverse from the head unit anytime I want, that's a feature of the Pioneer unit I have. I'm afraid if you connect a switched source to the wire you have from the reverse light to your camera every time you switch it on your reverse lights would also come on.
it's not a feature of the radio, it's just depends on how it was installed. I installed my kenwood and connected the switched source at the head unit. Most cameras come with a power wire integrated into the one video cable. You may just need to switch the connections at both ends without needing to run another wire.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Pete Schweaty
Advanced

Thanks for all the tips. Im just gonna wind up running it to the passenger footwell this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Switched Source

Quick Reply: C6 Switched Source