Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Advice

Old 01-25-2019, 10:06 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Clutch Advice

After progressively declining shiftability in my C5Z track car over the last few months, followed by a dyno session today, I'm pretty sure my pilot bearing is dead (horrible noise getting moving from a stop). So, looking for suggestions for a replacement clutch kit.

Most specifically, looking for opinions on optimum performance/$. I'd like a lighter assembly than stock, but at the same time, don't want to pay $2k+. Don't need a ton of capacity; I run TT2/3 on a basically stock engine, so torque is < 380 at the wheels. The car pretty much only sees street driving if I'm testing repairs/mods, so street driveability is a secondary concern. Adding to the challenge is the fact I need to get everything replaced within two weeks, so probably means I'm looking for a complete balanced package (flywheel/PP/disc) off the shelf since I'll have limited ability to drive around town to machine shops getting stuff balanced with that turn-around time.

So, really looking for where the best, complete buy is. If I can get 80% of the performance of a 5.5", triple disc setup, but at 50% of the cost, I'd be very happy. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

In anticipation of needing a new clutch soon, I’ve done some research and settled on diamond stg1... stock-ish, but lighter billet steel fw with higher hp potential.

Best track option would be smaller dia, like 7.25” qm or triton but street/paddock drivability would suffer. And if no HP aspirations in future, stock ls6 would prob be very good low cost option. I’d shy away from aluminum fw though since heat could have an effect.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:45 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I have a Spec Stage 1 with aluminum fw and pp, 20# lighter than stock and very noticeable increase in acceleration. A little heavier than stock, but also a little more holding power. Lower MOI is easier on the syncros too. I recommend a new slave and remote bleeder line while you're in there. Don't forget to measure your clearances in case the slave needs shimmed.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Based on your use a stocker would be fine with zero issues. Clutch people are nuts. I have had more issues with quality clutch systems than just about anything else. Oem is a no brained. That’s what you need especially on a time crunch. I’m a racer and average a new clutch every 1 or 2 years so I have replaced them a lot.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:42 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

In light of all the people reporting trouble with the clutch pedal stocking to the floor (myself included) I don't think oem is a good idea.

I have an RPS BC2, it drives great but I'm not sure I'd recommend it yet. I've got a funny noise that I think is coming from the clutch itself. Not sure yet though.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:23 AM
hanseng1
Advanced

Appreciate the input.

I keep going back and forth between a QM 8.5” complete kit and just sticking with stock. Also seems my price objective is unrealistic unless sticking to stock, as replacing TOB and other stuff adds up quick. Given time crunch, needs to make a decision today to ensure I can get it in over the weekend.

Also have another, related question regarding dropping the driveline. Manual says drop and reinstall as one big chunk. However, I’m a bit concerned with reinstall trying to maneuver the TT attached to the trans. How do I separate the TT from trans while in the car? Simple as removing the shifter bolts in the tunnel prior to dropping?

Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a centerforce clutch and flywheel and couldn’t be happier. It’s lighter than stock, but takeoff is like stock and have had zero issues or problems. Definitely worth a look.

Other than that, stock seems like a great option.

Look at getting the quartermaster billet bearing sleeve for the slave cylinder to replace the plastic one. And a remote clutch bleeder, too.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:29 PM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've running an oem clutch and putting down similar torque numbers as you. I initially had the sticky clutch pedal and my temporary fix was with a tick master cylinder. Eventually when the clutch was swapped out, a new slave cylinder got rid of the sticky pedal for good. Also installed a remote bleeder for the slave cylinder and i bleed it after each event. I did inquire about an after market setup with a FW but was advised to stick with an oem setup for my use.

Last edited by DK83; 01-28-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I dropped in one piece (even left the rear subframe attached). I separated the TT to service and reinstalled the TT separate from the trans/diff/subframe. Went together very easy!

Originally Posted by hanseng1

Also have another, related question regarding dropping the driveline. Manual says drop and reinstall as one big chunk. However, I’m a bit concerned with reinstall trying to maneuver the TT attached to the trans. How do I separate the TT from trans while in the car? Simple as removing the shifter bolts in the tunnel prior to dropping?

Old 02-20-2019, 10:21 AM
hanseng1
Advanced

Following up on this, ended up going with a QM 8.5” (https://www.quartermasterusa.com/pro...clutch-kit-8-5). Engagement is pretty aggressive, but not impossible. Definitely feel the reduced weight; shifting much more immediate over stock setup.

One question for those with these types of clutches. Do you expect an increase in vibration at idle? I expected to hear some “chatter” at idle in neutral, but I also do feel some pulsation in the clutch pedal. QM told me no balancing was necessary, so I just threw it in. Don’t sense any unreasonable vibration once in gear and moving.
The following users liked this post:
Miguel S (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:58 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I think the price point and requirements are unrealistic given the corvette tax.

Contact Danny Popp for opinions given your situation, he may be able to help under the time crunch.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:59 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Following up on this, ended up going with a QM 8.5” (https://www.quartermasterusa.com/pro...clutch-kit-8-5). Engagement is pretty aggressive, but not impossible. Definitely feel the reduced weight; shifting much more immediate over stock setup.

One question for those with these types of clutches. Do you expect an increase in vibration at idle? I expected to hear some “chatter” at idle in neutral, but I also do feel some pulsation in the clutch pedal. QM told me no balancing was necessary, so I just threw it in. Don’t sense any unreasonable vibration once in gear and moving.
The noise is definitely normal. I've had a couple versions of the QM setups and they all rattle like crazy at idle. It's just the floater plate rattling around and it's nothing to worry about. I didn't pick up much vibration over stock, but I did notice you could feel a little more in the shifter than with a more stock-ish clutch. The slight pulsation that you fell when just resting your foot on the clutch pedal is normal.

Just make sure to winch the car on your trailer if at all possible. Slipping them when loading creates more wear in 30 seconds than a weekend of road racing.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:07 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't have a QM, and my 20# lighter setup didn't create a noticeable increase in vibration, but I suspect yours has a much lower MOI which will not mask individual cylinder events most noticeable at idle. I bet it flares a good bit when you first fire it up, does it hunt at all for an idle now too? I wouldn't sweat noise with a setup like this, it probably shifts like a dream at WOT.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Advice