C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arm Bushing Options vs Complete Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Control Arm Bushing Options vs Complete Replacement

Having my suspension and basically entire car rebuilt around a new engine.
Seems like the options for replacing control arm bushings are:

A) Buy poly/delrin bushings (noisy but cheap/albeit higher labor - still cheaper than B)
B) Replace all control arms ($$$) as the OE bushings are not available stand alone and you must buy assembly

I thought there here was a rebuilding service but if not, who sells ALL OEM C5 control arms (front/back) here on the forum at a reasonable price ?

Thanks for any input guys,
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

After your build, what are you going to use it for?
Spaggs
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm going through the same thing. I decided to say, eff it; gonna get LG to put in spherical bearings and call it a day.

Edit: In LA, considering how big your potholes are ... I might personally want to stick with something softer, like poly. I don't think new rubber is worth the cost.

Last edited by gimp; 02-07-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

I will use it for street only. That’s the downside of poly, the noise regardless of the amount of lube......I will probably use the polys for my sway bars (I already bought a complete Energy Poly Bushing kit before I decided/was convinced by builder to not use it for my specific application). Not Racing.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I've got poly on everything and street drive most of the time. What makes it feel stiffer are my Bilstein Sport shocks. If you do go with poly, make sure you use lube specific to poly bushings.
Spaggs
Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Will do and thanks !

It is actually closer to $700 per corner to replace all the of the arms ft/rr with OE and the Dorman stuff is so cheap on the other hand, I am afraid to use it.

If only the OE bushing were made available!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek
It is actually closer to $700 per corner to replace all the of the arms ft/rr with OE and the Dorman stuff is so cheap on the other hand, I am afraid to use it.
And even if you do spring for what is supposed to be OM, there isn't any guarantee that the new will be as good as the original. Several sources indicate that the sensation of a rougher ride with polyurethane bushings tends to lesson over time. I would imagine Delrin being harsher than polyurethane -- poly stiffness tends to be around 85 on Shore A, and Delrin is 90 on Rockwell M, so different the scales don't overlap at all.
I see Prothane has a full suspension kit for $85, including the appropriate lubricant. I've also seen mention that their black polyurethane incorporates graphite to help with noise -- not possible with the red.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

I saw that, I ordered red and they actually sent the black to the shop.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Are those plastic sway bar end links? Going to upgrade those while you're in there? And is that an upgrade trans over to the side? Regardless of which way you go, do fill us in on the final outcome, so those of us bound to reach the same impasse know how it worked out for you.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Go with option "C" AFEpower (formerly pfadt) graphite impregnated poly kit. much quieter than energy suspension...ect...Its what I'm going to go with.....

https://afepower.com/afe-power-470-4...rm-bushing-set
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Default SuperPro Advanced Polyurethane Bushings

Has anyone had any experience with the new synthetic bushings by SuperPro? Someone on the C4 Forum happened to mention them as being much more compliant than normal polyurethane bushings but more durable than rubber. I also see that Summit has been carrying them for a variety of applications. (At Summit you'll need to search using Super Pro vs. SuperPro)

There's an excellent video her describing their functionality.SuperPro Bushings - The Best Suspension Bushings For Your Car (Advanced Polyurethane Bushings)

GUSTO
Old 02-13-2019, 08:13 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by asroff
go with option "c" afepower (formerly pfadt) graphite impregnated poly kit. Much quieter than energy suspension...ect...its what i'm going to go with.....

https://afepower.com/afe-power-470-4...rm-bushing-set
$560??

Wow!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 AM
fmvette9
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Another option is to buy a used set of low mileage control arms.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Another option:
https://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?f...&SubGroup=1995
There is a post somewhere on the forum regarding these.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
$560??

Wow!
expensive but worth it... I cut and pasted the discription......

aFe Control is proud to release the PFADT Series, Poly Control Arm Bushing Kit, for the C5 & C6 Corvette. OE factory bushings are known to deflect more than a 1/4" inch in turns which equates to almost 1 degree of lost camber and unpredictable handling. The aFe Control Poly Control Arm Bushing Kit, will solve this, by virtually eliminating bushing deflection, while still maintaining a quiet, comfortable ride, suitable for street use. The kit includes, lightweight, hard anodized 6061-T6 aluminum sleeves, specially grooved, graphite impregnated bushings, snap rings, and all hardware necessary for a complete installation. You will appreciate the 2 piece design allowing for a much easier installation, than 1 piece designs. The aFe Control kit even includes rear, lower shock mounts, setting it apart from the competition.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by ASRoff
expensive but worth it... I cut and pasted the description...…

will solve this, by virtually eliminating bushing deflection, while still maintaining a quiet, comfortable ride, suitable for street use.
I'm sure that these bushings DO eliminate all deflection, but on the street, you need a little deflection, in order to deal with the bumps, ruts, and expansion strips that you WILL have to deal with. Race tracks don't have these issues.
The following users liked this post:
Rasmann (04-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:28 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

WOW, check out these replacement assemblies at a fraction of the price for our cars.
Is this legit ?

After a lot of research I found these.....any experience ?
They appear “better” than stock based on description, guarantee, etc.... but who knows.

After some cursory research they seem pretty legit and in-line with aftermarket picking off OEM parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Control Arm Bushing Options vs Complete Replacement

Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

WOW, check out these replacement assemblies at a fraction of the price for our cars.
Is this legit ?
“Mevotech”
After a lot of research I found these.....any experience ?
They appear “better” than stock based on description, guarantee, etc.... but who knows.

After some cursory research they seem pretty legit and in-line with aftermarket picking off OEM parts.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:33 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Most online do not reference the mileage and/or condition of bushings.
I have looked at ALOt of used ones online obviously.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:13 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm sure that these bushings DO eliminate all deflection, but on the street, you need a little deflection, in order to deal with the bumps, ruts, and expansion strips that you WILL have to deal with. Race tracks don't have these issues.
then you should probably stick with rubber... after a little shopping around I found the kit for $465

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushing Options vs Complete Replacement