C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very odd situation, is this stop/start tech?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Very odd situation, is this stop/start tech?

I notice when turning my M7 does not allow me to throttle the gas. I press the gas and absolutely nothing is happening.

Been trying to figure out what this is even called but I have no idea. Maybe stop/start technology? I am absolutely baffled by the technology in the car that doesnt give me full control of the throttle with the gas pedal.

Someone please shed some light on this, I even turned on Race mode and it still does the same thing. Although I was not too sure on how to select the sub-mode in Track.. It doesn't confirm that I am in wet/dry/sport1,2/race so I don't know if it's even engaged.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by BullittEV
I notice when turning my M7 does not allow me to throttle the gas. I press the gas and absolutely nothing is happening.

Been trying to figure out what this is even called but I have no idea. Maybe stop/start technology? I am absolutely baffled by the technology in the car that doesnt give me full control of the throttle with the gas pedal.

Someone please shed some light on this, I even turned on Race mode and it still does the same thing. Although I was not too sure on how to select the sub-mode in Track.. It doesn't confirm that I am in wet/dry/sport1,2/race so I don't know if it's even engaged.
That ain't right, take it to the dealer
The following 3 users liked this post by KenHorse:
4thC4at60 (02-15-2019), owc6 (02-15-2019), VictorBarron (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

That's messed up. You've got a defect on your hands there. Chev. dealer time.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Yes, very odd. From your description, I would say something is broken.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 PM
BullittEV
Pro

It doesn't happen when taking turns, just when stopped and taking a sharp corner or something. But still sounds like that is very wrong.

It seems like some sort of throttle control to protect you from losing the back end

Last edited by BullittEV; 02-15-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Follow the advice of the others in the thread - have the car checked out by your dealer. It sure does sound like something is wrong.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 PM
BullittEV
Pro

I will ASAP. I've never used a factory warranty on a vehicle before- do I explain my issue and they are obligated to check it out? Should I just pay the $180 or whatever it is to just run an entire diagnostic?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 PM
accelerate1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will ASAP. I've never used a factory warranty on a vehicle before- do I explain my issue and they are obligated to check it out? Should I just pay the $180 or whatever it is to just run an entire diagnostic?
You pay nothing if your car is under your B2B warranty
Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Originally Posted by accelerate1
You pay nothing if your car is under your B2B warranty
Even if I had just bought the car? I can see a dealership having an issue with this, or even GM because the previous owner may have done something?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:57 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

Bulllitt:

"previous owner".....I had assumed this was a NEW car....as did a few others on here I think.

What year? How many miles?

She's definitely not behaving properly. If you still have the factory warranty...NOTHING should come out of your pocket as far as $ goes to get her looked at and repaired.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:46 AM
BullittEV
Pro

My fault then,

2017 Grand Sport 2LT
14,700 miles
delivered from West Palm Beach, FL -> San Diego, CA.

That's very odd, it really seems like some sort of restrictive throttle control because it only occurs when the wheel is tightly turned, im moving slowly (0-3mph) and I try and accelerate while still turning.. Still, it's weird and hopefully it's just some sort of control measure that was never turned off.

Wouldn't the factory warranty transfer over to me? Or can they call an issue because I am the 2nd owner? I dont really see the difference as the first owner could be in the same spot.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:34 AM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

If the previous owner "did something" to invalidate the warranty, the dealer will tell you. Otherwise, they will fix it or, possibly tell you that it is normal.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Just take it to the dealer (even though you seem hesitant to do so for some reason) as anything shared here for such an odd issue is going to be pure speculation.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 08:45 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Is your foot on the brake pedal too?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

No stop/start technology for the Vette... yet! Hopefully never. I agree that a visit to the dealership is required.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:32 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

There is no control on the car that would cause the condition you are describing. Just as others have stated take it to the dealer and get it repaired. Personally I have never heard of this problem. Are you giving it enough throttle that you can feel the pedal move? Very confusing so as stated visit the sevice dept.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:10 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Still under warranty. Take it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Very odd situation, is this stop/start tech?

Old 02-16-2019, 02:13 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

My fault then,

2017 Grand Sport 2LT
14,700 miles
delivered from West Palm Beach, FL -> San Diego, CA.

That's very odd, it really seems like some sort of restrictive throttle control because it only occurs when the wheel is tightly turned, im moving slowly (0-3mph) and I try and accelerate while still turning.. Still, it's weird and hopefully it's just some sort of control measure that was never turned off.

Wouldn't the factory warranty transfer over to me? Or can they call an issue because I am the 2nd owner? I dont really see the difference as the first owner could be in the same spot.
Bob Stall Chevrolet. Tell them you want Rose as your service advisor
Old 02-16-2019, 02:29 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

You can’t do donuts with this tragic condition, so get it checked out ASAP!

Good luck
Old 02-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Based on your some what vague description it sounds like there is something wrong with the car. There is no start/stop technology in a Corvette. If the car still has an active B2B warranty (less than 3 years since the In Service Date and less than 36K miles) the dealership will attempt to diagnose your problem. However, you need to provide a clearer description of the problem when you talk to the Service Advisor. Descriptions have to be meaningful and concise as the Service Writer interprets what you say and then writes it in as few words as possible on the repair order. Then the mechanic has to figure out what you are complaining about. Vagueness on your part leads to increased vagueness on the Service Advisers part which leads to WTF on the mechanic's part. That usually leads to No Trouble Found because the mechanic has no idea what you are complaining about.

You don't say anything about what else is happening with your car when this problem is occurring. Are there any indicators or messages showing up on the Instrument Panel of the Driver Information Center. Do you get a blinking Traction Control indicator?

You do know that all Corvettes will skip the front wheels sideways in very tight low speed turns due to the design of the car. This isn't a problem but a function of designing for performance. Wheel alignment, suspension design and the width/stiffness of the tires are all contributors to the skipping. This is all explained in the Owner's Manual.

When the skipping is happening the stability and traction control systems may inhibit throttle input to prevent loss of control. One test I an suggest that you run so you can know more about what is happening is to go to a large empty parking lot and start driving in a wide circle using the throttle to keep speed up. Then start tightening the circle and gradually spiraling the car toward the center as you maintain throttle opening as constant as possible. At some point the front wheels will start to slide and the car's stability system may start to limit throttle input. The Spring Mountain New Owner's school has similar exercises run on wet pavement that show how the car's stability systems limit slides in emergency situations. Remember the car can only go by what it's sensors tell it so has no idea whether a certain situation is an emergency or not.

If you want to use the Track Sub Modes you have to turn the **** on the center console to Track followed by pressing the ****'s center button twice in succession to get to the sub modes. Once in the Sub Modes you will see the Word Wet displayed in the DIC. You then turn the **** to display what you want on the DIC. Once you see it stop and do something else. Pushing the center button will toss all of your selections out the door. One thing to remember you will still have Stability Control in Wet, Dry and Sport 1 selections with some throttle dampening (how fast the throttle opens/closes). Sport 1 will not have any Traction Control but will still have PTM, Sport 2 will not have stability or traction control but will still have PTM and throttle dampening while Race will only have PTM.

If you want to turn off traction control you can leave the driving mode set to Tour and push the center button of the **** once. You will see the TC indicator on the instrument panel light up with a line crossed through it. If you want to turn off both traction and stability control then push and hold the center button until you see both TC with a line through it and Stability (car outline with squiggly lines with OFF printed under it lit. Then see how your car reacts. However, be careful since dropping the hammer with the steering wheel turned tightly and with TC and Stability Control turned off will loop the car faster than you can imagine.

If you are still getting some throttle limitation with everything turned off then you have a problem with the car.

Bill

Quick Reply: Very odd situation, is this stop/start tech?