C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Gas Fumes Restomod

Old 02-16-2019, 01:52 PM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Gas Fumes Restomod

Recent build 62 restomod with LS3 engine parked in enclosed trailer (trailer vents semi closed) noticeable gas fumes. No Leaks.
Anyone install a EVAP System? If so please provided specifics.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

are you using a sealed or vented gas cap?
you are sure none of the injectors are leaking?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,512 Likes on 2,780 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

A fuel injected engine requires significantly more fuel tank venting than a stock tank can provide. If the engine is running perfectly or you did the install and know how it was vented, it maybe that the vent is open to atmosphere. The easiest way to address this, and how I’m doing it on the efi engine in my C2, is to get a fuel filter with a replaceable element, fill it with charcoal designed for fish tank filters and plumb it above the tank is the vent line. You can buy it loose at most pet shops or online. Works really well.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:40 PM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MelWff
Using a vented gas cap. Will check injectors. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you and much appreciated! Makes sense. Will try this out.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:43 AM
daz_au
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

What sort of fuel line was used ? Some of the braided lines are "permeable" and have been reported to smell.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

If you are using an aftermarket tank, ie: Ricks, Rock Valley: make sure that you plug the vent on the side of the tank. It's usually 3/8", and then run a vented cap.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:58 AM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by daz_au
What sort of fuel line was used ? Some of the braided lines are "permeable" and have been reported to smell.
Thank you for the valuable information. Will check with the builder.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 AM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mike coletta
If you are using an aftermarket tank, ie: Ricks, Rock Valley: make sure that you plug the vent on the side of the tank. It's usually 3/8", and then run a vented cap.
Thankful for your response and advice. Will check this out with builder.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 AM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MelWff
Okay, using a vented cap and no leaks. Thanks again for your input
Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I have an LS in my 66 goat. It has a very small vent in the filler neck, maybe 3/16" i.d. at most. I have a non vented cap. No issues with it just over 10,000 miles on it. I would look very closely at every pressurized fuel connection. The rubber o rings around the injectors, any connections on the fuel rail, and from the tank to the fuel rail. Find out what type of return line you have. Most that I know of use the Vette fuel filter that bypasses fuel back to the tank, check there as well. If your set uses a regulator check it as well. You should be able to find it by just turning on the ignition and letting it pressurize. Any oring so I've had leak at the injectors showed up easily. But they are also big leaks I would suspect you would have found them early on.

Last edited by Robert61; 02-18-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 AM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert61
I have an LS in my 66 goat. It has a very small vent in the filler neck, maybe 3/16" i.d. at most. I have a non vented cap. No issues with it just over 10,000 miles on it. I would look very closely at every pressurized fuel connection. The rubber o rings around the injectors, any connections on the fuel rail, and from the tank to the fuel rail. Find out what type of return line you have. Most that I know of use the Vette fuel filter that bypasses fuel back to the tank, check there as well. If your set uses a regulator check it as well. You should be able to find it by just turning on the ignition and letting it pressurize. Any oring so I've had leak at the injectors showed up easily. But they are also big leaks I would suspect you would have found them early on.
Great information. Will check out. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've driven two LS3 powered restomods and both smelled of gasoline. I was told the computer needed to be reprogramed for leaner running, since neither was running a catalytic converter. Both were recent completions and neither had been reprogramed.

BH
Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
I've driven two LS3 powered restomods and both smelled of gasoline. I was told the computer needed to be reprogramed for leaner running, since neither was running a catalytic converter. Both were recent completions and neither had been reprogramed.

BH
That's a crock.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:15 PM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer

BH
Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:22 PM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mike coletta
That's a crock.
Could you explain further your reasoning why this information is incorrect. Also since your a well respected contributor here what is your opinion
of Factoid's post above concerning plumbing in a filter with charcoal. Thank you for all your help!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

No cats on my goat and no gas smell.

No gold fish either! Lol

Last edited by Robert61; 02-18-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Fumes Restomod

Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Micoharp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Modern spark ignited engines are controlled to a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (14.7:1) under normal operating conditions. You do not run the engine rich under normal operating conditions because you would just be wasting fuel and generate a continuous exothermic reaction in the catalyst. You do not run the engine lean under normal operating conditions because NOx emissions cannot be reduced in a lean environment with a standard catalyst. Engines will typically only run rich for a short duration during engine startup/catalyst light-off and during WOT accelerations.

So…The rich operation needed during catalyst light-off could be eliminated if you do not have a catalyst. This is a relatively short duration (<1 minute) so hard to believe it would lead to too much of a gasoline smell. You would want to keep rich operation during WOT acceleration because this not only protects the catalyst but also provides greater power.
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 PM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Micoharp
Modern spark ignited engines are controlled to a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (14.7:1) under normal operating conditions. You do not run the engine rich under normal operating conditions because you would just be wasting fuel and generate a continuous exothermic reaction in the catalyst. You do not run the engine lean under normal operating conditions because NOx emissions cannot be reduced in a lean environment with a standard catalyst. Engines will typically only run rich for a short duration during engine startup/catalyst light-off and during WOT accelerations.

So…The rich operation needed during catalyst light-off could be eliminated if you do not have a catalyst. This is a relatively short duration (<1 minute) so hard to believe it would lead to too much of a gasoline smell. You would want to keep rich operation during WOT acceleration because this not only protects the catalyst but also provides greater power.
Thanks! Very informative explanation.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:34 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Micoharp

What he said......or the shorter Coletta version.....the computer is smarter than that. LOL.

As to charcoal filters, are you kidding me???? You either have a leak (raw gasoline), or you have a hole directly into the tank area. My experience has been that the evaporation of raw gas is what causes "fumes" in an enclosed area. I vented cap will not cause this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] Gas Fumes Restomod