C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rate my fuel install

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 09:59 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Rate my fuel install

First time doing fuel line work so I'm curious what you think, on if it looks right or not. For the intake side of the fuel rail, I had to use a 90 degree fitting off the FPR as a straight line and 45 degree was hitting the distributor. Surprised TPIS didn't account for that better... I went with the 90 down and then a 45 adapters to get it to go down and then point back out the other side, under the distributor. I went with PTFE line with fragola fittings. Goal was to keep things away from the header, look decent and be functional. This if for my miniram swap.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:16 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I have to say nice. They look exactly like the lines I made for my 87. I like the PFTE because they are less bulky than standard . I went with them because I was running E85. Probably not needed but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Imo, not enough zipties to be considered a "proper" install. (kidding of course, looks mint)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:59 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

looks awesome. needbto do a ptfe install. where did u get lines and fittings?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks good, have you pressure tested it? There is a fitting in the top picture that looks like the line is a little crooked but very possible im just seeing things.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 AM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Originally Posted by Space387
Looks good, have you pressure tested it? There is a fitting in the top picture that looks like the line is a little crooked but very possible im just seeing things.
I haven't yet as I ran out of time for the day. Plan to this weekend. I know the section you are talking about (the 90 degree fitting). Their is a little bit of an angle right off of it but it is pretty minimal. It was pretty bad at first so I added the 1 inch extension fitting to reduce the flex. I have another 1 inch extension that I can add if needed. Should I add it before pressure testing to be safe? I wanted to keep the fitting numbers down as much as possible to reduce the risk of leaks. I initially tired a 45 degree fitting their but it was pushing the hose real close to the header, thus the current set-up with the 90 degree.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 AM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
looks awesome. needbto do a ptfe install. where did u get lines and fittings?
I got them at Summit Racing. I saw several other vendors but they were MUCH cheaper so I was nervous about quality. Figured with fuel lines I didn't want to take the risk so I went with what I thought was at least quality products. I got 10 feet of line (which was more than I needed) and all the fittings. Spent about $300 but if I didn't have the extra fittings it would have been about $200. I just bought a bunch of extra stuff just in case so I wasn't waiting for parts if things didn't line up well. Figured I'd use the extra's at some point anyway down the road in this car or another.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:08 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

it looks great, i like the braided hoses. just keep in mind heat makes fuel hot and vapor lock an engine. they appear to be quite close to that valve cover in the one pic but it might just be the pic angle, aside from that awesome
Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by bud40oz
it looks great, i like the braided hoses. just keep in mind heat makes fuel hot and vapor lock an engine. they appear to be quite close to that valve cover in the one pic but it might just be the pic angle, aside from that awesome
Have you looked at the stock lines ? Under the motor mount, up the front by the AC and water pump. Way more heat there.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Yeah, one reason for doing this was to get rid of that 30 year old hose that is in the middle of the hard lines there (it was getting old and brittle) and to get it away from my headers. The hard lines only had about a 1/4 inch gap between them and the headers by the number 2 cylinder pipe. The fuel lines at the valve cover is about 3 inches away (at the closest point). I'll double check though. If anyone sees anything else to check, I'm all ears.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 PM
renegade69
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Vapor Lock is non existent with the pressure the fuel is at with fuel injection (40 psi plus). Years ago at 5 or 6 psi, vapor Lock was an issue with fuel lines and heat. The stock fuel line in my 1986 is about 1/4 from the passenger side header.
Miniram Install and fuel lines looks good, doing mine as soon as I get my heads back from the shop. Can't wait for Winter to be over.....
Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

On a high pressure system you should be running above the vapor pressure of the gasoline so it shouldn't* vapor lock. Plus being a return system with the pump in tank it can't happen. However, keeping the fuel away from hot things is still generally good practice. So I'm gonna agree here.

*$#it happens though. I've seen tpi engines boil the fuel in the rails and have a hard start condition though. When you key off and the line pressure drops then yes. It can happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Rate my fuel install

Quick Reply: Rate my fuel install