Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trackside air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 01:48 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default trackside air compressor

Is there a way to us an inverter to power a trackside aircompressor? I think the answer is yes but it depends on math I do not know.

So at seems a 1/2hp compressor by most online charts consume 1000watts running and 2000 for startup. So does that mean a 2500watt inverter and you are good to go? Is it really that easy or have I missed anything?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:00 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

your good to go, it will take a lot of power though so make sure you have a big battery
Old 02-17-2019, 03:00 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Is there a way to us an inverter to power a trackside aircompressor? I think the answer is yes but it depends on math I do not know.

So at seems a 1/2hp compressor by most online charts consume 1000watts running and 2000 for startup. So does that mean a 2500watt inverter and you are good to go? Is it really that easy or have I missed anything?
I've got a lot of experience in this....the problem is direct drive AC powered air compressors have a huge inrush current issue on start up. The charts usually show a best case scenario....as the AC motors get hot and the inverters get hot, they become more of a challenge to create a successful start up. Inverters can work, but they have to be of a very high quality design with enough stored capacity and that usually means expensive. You also lose approximately 15% energy when converting from DC to AC via heat in the conversion of voltage....furthering the need for a quality inverter with plenty of reserve capacity.

Definitely run at least 4 gauge cable between the battery and inverter......bigger if there is a longer distance (example, battery under hood of truck and inverter in trailer). You also want to get the largest battery you can fit....200 Ah capacity would be a good starting point. Last thing, running the engine so a higher voltage comes into the system will also help as higher voltage helps with efficiency.

What exactly are your plans for the air at the track? Just tires or are you running air tools, etc?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:25 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I
What exactly are your plans for the air at the track? Just tires or are you running air tools, etc?
I want to do tires and run air tools for wheels. that is the biggest air consumer. Breakoff a tough nut now and then. run airtool ratchet because I'm lazy. I have compressed nitorgen to run airjacks and wheel gun on occassion. the nitrogen expense adds up and getting refills is just a hassle. But if i have to run a expensive inverter, 2 batteries in parallel, rig those to trickle charge them when the truck motor is running it may just not be worth it.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 PM
RocketRod
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going with a Milwaukee 1/2" cordless impact setup in the link below with a couple extra batteries

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...7152_200697152
The following users liked this post:
Rexracer77 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketRod
I'm going with a Milwaukee 1/2" cordless impact setup in the link below with a couple extra batteries

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...7152_200697152
That is the ticket, air tools need a stationary air compressor 4hp min.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 PM
kevinj0101
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll tell you another thing about running invertors that's a pain in the ***, not just the big inrush current of an AC motor, but the other side of the equation when the motor shuts off. Most invertors done have the ability to shed the excess current when a high load item, like a grinder, air compressor or whatever shuts off. The invertors will trip on high voltage or overload. Higher quality units can, but we're talking a decent chunk of change for this feature that frankly is not worth the effort when you can run modern cordless tools that are 90+% there power wise but 1000% there convenience wise. Not to try and deswade the effort or idea but for the money to properly set up a mobile sorce of AC power I'd rather run a compressed air tank for filling tires, and lithium battery tools for impact duty work.
The following users liked this post:
fatbillybob (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Nope I appreciate all the comments. I just always seem to have a dead battery and batteries seem to not hold charges well after about 1 yr of use. Who is making a reasonably light powerful good battery electric 1/2" impact for wheels? Who is making a small light one for 3/8" drive sockets?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:40 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Nope I appreciate all the comments. I just always seem to have a dead battery and batteries seem to not hold charges well after about 1 yr of use. Who is making a reasonably light powerful good battery electric 1/2" impact for wheels? Who is making a small light one for 3/8" drive sockets?
You have a pm.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:19 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I run this tool...which is unstoppable. I run it because I have a myriad of Dewalt tools that share the 20v battery. So that's mah big dawg.

Amazon Amazon

For the small jobs, small impact and wratchet, I use the milwaukee line like below

Wratchet (amazing tool and compact to get just about everywhere)

Amazon Amazon

Combined with this small impact because it shares battery with above

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 AM
synner
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazon Amazon

This one is a smaller body and medium range torque. It fits better into suspension areas than a full size which is nice. The smaller 3/8" one they have doesn't cut it for wheels.I have a plug-in impact for at home, if I need 700+ ft-lbs trackside then something has gone horribly wrong and I'd be needing hard parts to make a major repair that aren't with me anyway. I found with the full size unit it never fit in on the coilover and suspension arm bolts and then I'd end up doing it all by hand which pissed me off.

Last edited by synner; 02-18-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Probably all addressed above in different emails....but what I do when I'm running our "Full" Monte Carlo:
-Nitrogen tank (full size) in the trailer, yep, it can be a pain to refill but one bottle lasts me a season (for tires).
-Dewalt 1/2" drive impact, a driver, a drill and a shop vac (you know, for those agricultural excursion...), all 18v, with extra batteries

If we have the motorhome I plug the trailer into it for power, if we have the truck there's a 110v outlet that I can use to charge the batteries (same for radio batteries).

Many tracks have power, so I'll just plug the trailer into that if available, trailer has A/C as well.

There are probably better alternatives to the Dewalt stuff, I just happened to get a good price on the setup/batteries in a package deal.

I *used* to have a sizable air compressor that I'd bring with me, in the end it became to much of a PITA to deal with, that's why I went with Nitrogen.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 PM
kevinj0101
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's all really about what hassle you want to deal with, at home the air compressor and air tools get used the most, but on the road if I were to go air it would be a gas powered compressor. And a generator for a welder and AC power if I were to go that far. Honestly I use my mountain bike manual pump for tires now until I get a trailer, then it's going to be a fixed nitrogen tank.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

For tires I have a small air tank (no compressor) that holds ~125psi... I fill it at home off of my air compressor and use it it make small adjustments to the tire pressures over the day and to get things back to a street level for the drive home. It's nice not to have to worry about finding power, but it is limited to what it can do (and air tools wouldn't be possible).

At home I use a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 drive Mid-Torque impact driver for removing lugnuts., etc. I don't use it at the track (I'm not switching wheels there), but it would be the one I'd bring if I did. That said, I have the M12 3/8 impact as well, and while it works, isn't as effortless as the M18 Mid-torque version.

Milwaukee makes a M12 inflator if all you're looking to do is add air to tires, but I don't know how quickly it works (compared to an air tank) for quick adjustments.... and would use the same battery system as the M12 3/8 impact.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Just put a big bottle of nitrogen in your trailer. You can run air tools with it fill tires, etc. and its cheap.

Last edited by mgarfias; 02-19-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:51 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I use the Craftsman 19.2v series and it works good for me and its cheap.

If you are adamant about running a compressor:
1. Consider a gas powered motor
2. Use a dc powered motor instead of inverter.

Get notified of new replies

To trackside air compressor

Quick Reply: trackside air compressor