C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Loose glass on rear view

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Loose glass on rear view

As part of my winter interior renovation I want to do something about my rear view mirror which is really annoying on the highway. For lack of a better description the glass is ever so slightly loose in the plastic housing. On the highway that means a slightly vibrating screen and blurry view of what is behind me.

The screw holding ding the mirror isn’t loose. The swivel isn’t loose. It is the glass in the housing. I confirmed the case by tapping on the mirror which I was able to observe the vibrating glass and hear a slight rattle.

Its a 94 with the map lights in the mirror.

Common problem? Easy fix? Anyone have one of these apart?

My wife’s Subaru does the same damn thing. Hers is an aftermarket mirror with an lcd screen for backup cam. Drives me nuts, but she doesn’t seem to mind.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:17 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Never seen that before, but the only thing I can think of to fix it is to wedge something between the mirror glass and the housing. Maybe you can find something thin and black, shove it in like a shim and trim it off.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:59 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My preferred "fixer" in such case is black RTV. Just work a little in between the mirror edge and the surround.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:30 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Editing because top half of my post disappeared. Basically, took mirror out and identified 3 possibilities. The two halves aren’t coming apart without breaking things so I did my best diagnosis from what I could see with the lights popped out.

The first possibility is the 2 ball sockets. Not the case for me though, these are very tight.

Next is the “hinge” pivot point for the day/night lever. This is a plastic on plastic hinge. I feel a tiny tiny bit of play here but since I can’t get this thing apart without breaking it there’s nothing I can do about it. So the plan is hoping this isn’t the issue. I did notice that it has more play flipped in one position vs the other. Since I drive this car almost exclusively during the day my solution may be to put it in the night position and then adjust the mirror so I can see properly for day driving - again if this is the problem at all.

The last item, it looks like the glass is bonded with glue to some plastic - only in the center section. On the right side of the mirror that bond has let go and there now exist a gap of about a millimeter. The other side still looks to be bonded but it’s possible that the bond is broken and the pieces are just still touching. Below pic of the area where the bond is broke. Couldn’t get a good angle for the other side, just too many wires in the way and not enough hands to snap a pic and hold things just right.

The plan is to drizzle some JB weld into the gap area and hope for the best. Regular JB weld tends to be a little runny while curing and I’m banking on that so it runs down into the tiny gap. I’m not sure this is the problem or not but it’s all I could try. I’ll find out in the spring.

Last edited by jmgtp; 02-23-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

JB Quick is my 2nd "fixer" around my Vette, good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose glass on rear view

Quick Reply: Loose glass on rear view