Default 95 horn doesn’t work.

Is there a relay in this year?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:16 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Brown
Is there a relay in this year?
you'd have to check wiring diagram(s) but I'm pretty sure there is. I had to replace the horn button harness on my '96 last year, very flimsy plastic design, easy to see why it failed. Not too hard to do but you have to deactivate the airbag in order to unbolt it which will expose the horn buttons and connectors.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Tom Brown
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
you'd have to check wiring diagram(s) but I'm pretty sure there is. I had to replace the horn button harness on my '96 last year, very flimsy plastic design, easy to see why it failed. Not too hard to do but you have to deactivate the airbag in order to unbolt it which will expose the horn buttons and connectors.
thanks for the quick response.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I replace my horn harness as well last summer not really a big job
Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Both my horns died about 10 years ago had to replace with some generic ones from local auto store...been fine since. Might want to test your horns first with 12v to be sure.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:56 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It's probably the horns. Take them off and have a 12v source to test them. Soak them with wd40 or a penetrating oil for a few days and keep playing with them. Eventually they may come back to life. Their was an adjusting screw that I removed and put back and played with that also . Good as new but took a little effort and a lot of patience.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Wildride
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I first posted this back in 1999 and at least once a year afterward! The "search" function doesn't seem to work that well so here it goes again!:

"Apparently horn problems are very common on the C-4 and in particular with the 1990 and later.

I will try to walk you through this, but it is being done from memory so please bear with me. What is mentioned here is mainly specific to the 1990 or later C-4. Prior to 1990 a different design was used.

I am assuming that you have checked and cleaned the electrical connections at the horns themselves and checked the fuses.

Many people have reported corrosion in the horns themselves. The cure is either replacement or squirting penetrating oil or WD-40 into the horn. I have never had to try that so I can’t vouch for its effectiveness.

The operation of the horn relay can be checked with 98% reliability by following these steps:

1. Roll down the windows.
2. Turn the ignition “Off”.
3. Exit the car.
4. Lock the doors.
5. Reach in through the window and “Unlock the Door”
6. Attempt to start the car.

If when you try to start the car and the horn goes off, the horn relay is okay. To reset the alarm and to be able to start the car, lock the door with the key and then unlock it with the key. The horn relay is a DPST relay that works either from the horn buttons or the security system.

There are several problems I have found that seem to come up with the horn buttons,
1. The Buttons themselves are made of a plastic that seems to deteriorate over time. This plus the normal (and abnormal) pressing on the buttons causes a little "nipple" inside of them to break. This nipple's purpose is to press down on the brass contacts underneath it and complete the circuit. No nipple = no contact = no horn.
2. There is a wire (one only) that goes between the brass contacts and the hub of the steering wheel. At the end of this wire is attached a plastic spring loaded male bayonet fitting that is inserted into a female socket in the steering wheel hub and twisted into place to hold it. This plastic bayonet fitting and/or its socket will also give up after time and separate causing an intermittent contact or no contact.

Solutions:

1. The horn buttons are available from GM for about $6.95 each. PN
12506007 and 12500608. There are two ways to remove them from the steering wheel.

A. Using a dull thin blade slide it along the hub side of the button feeling carefully for the catch that latches the button to the wheel. There are two on each side-total four, you only have to find and release two on one side of the button.

The top one is about 1/2-3/4' down from the top of the button and the bottom one is about 1/2-3/4" up from the bottom of the button. When you locate each catch, push in (toward the center of the button) gently on it while lifting the button. You have to do this twice-top and bottom on one side. The button should then pop off.
I have mine discretely marked so the catches are easy to find. You may want to do this to them after they are off.

B. The second way means removing the airbag. Disconnect the battery. Pull the fuse controlling the airbag. At the rear of the steering wheel spokes are imbeded two torx screws (size T-27 ). Unscrew these two screws and then GENTLY lift off the airbag. I advise being off to one side of the steering wheel while doing this as an improperly handled airbag can be dangerous. (These things are shipped all over the country without problem but I would rather be cautious). BE SURE THERE IS NO ELECTRICAL POWER AVAILABLE!!!!
After the airbag is removed, the buttons, contacts and wires are easily accessible.

2. If the wire/bayonet socket is defective the solution is a little more involved. The airbag must be removed as above to get to the wire.

To the best of my knowledge replacement sockets are not available and the GM solution is to replace the steering wheel hub assembly. VERY EXPENSIVE and a lot of labor.

But there is hope. Using a piece of stiff plastic (1/16" Plexiglas sheet works fine or cut up an old AOL CD) cut it into a U shaped piece that fits flat into the hub around the hub retaining bolt and with a very narrow slot that the horn wire was fed (but not wide enough slot to allow the bayonet socket to come through) over the socket. This piece will hold the bayonet socket in place. The plastic piece is held in place by a very short bolt (1/2") that is screwed into one of the bolt holes that are used for a steering wheel puller. DO NOT use a long bolt as it may hit the internals underneath the hub causing short or other problems.

I hope the description makes sense. A picture (if I had one) would make it very clear.

It seems that many people have problems with the horns on their C-4. I hope this helps resolve some of the problems.

References:

General Motors Corporation Parts and Illustration Catalog 1984-90 Chevrolet Y (Corvette)

General Motors Corporation 1990 Corvette Service Manual

Alldata Corporation 1990 Chevrolet Corvette V8-350 5.7L Service and Repair CD"

I hope this helps and please let us know how you make out.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 horn doesn’t work.

Quick Reply: 95 horn doesn’t work.