C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] C2 questions; beginning shopping advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 12:49 PM
scubadds
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 questions; beginning shopping advice appreciated

New guy here, sorry to start with a long-winded post; but I feel some detail may be relevant;
I have had/restored cars from a '65 Fastback, '67 fastback, defender 110, defender 90, early 911, fj55, etc ...
Presently working on a '72 Scout ii- 6.0/4L80 LS on a Rotisseried Body and I also have a '79 diesel survivor Scout ii to drive while the other is apart.

Strongly considering getting out of one Scout and getting a C2.
I made a mistake when I bought the first Scout, in that I bought one that needed a good bit of additional work that is costing more now to fix (thus the frame off)
I vowed that next time, I would purchase a better starting place (or maybe one that is finished, which I have never done)
Before spending bigger bucks on a C2, I want to know exactly what I should get;

I am becoming a bit more of a purist, in that I like the cars to present the way they did in their day; Not digital gauges, overly trendy body mods, or changes that will eventually look great this year and then appear dated 5 years from now
I look at the motorcycle restomod craze as an example...years back the fatter the wheel the better- now Cafe racers are popular and the fat wheel bikes are "dated"

My first question relates to driveability of stock cars vs mildly updated C2's' I desire a stock looking car as much as possible inside and out but could see changing wheels/tires if needed

Is the driving experience much better with modern updates to suspension, brakes, maybe transmission (anything else needed) or is the 63-67 good enough as is to drive around town and enjoy (I don't forsee high-speed interstate use at the moment)

If mild upgrades are done (like disc brakes or suspension) does the contemporary wisdom that a '67 is "better" than a '64 still apply? From what I have been advised, I am not seeking a BB

I am also trying to see how much is reasonable to budget for a car. My opinion at the moment is that numbers matching doesn't really matter much to me. At least not to pay a ton a bunch more for. (especially if my first question yields an answer that modifications are warranted.

I am new to the C2 game, and wonder if my tastes will change (I do live a the beach area, but I am drawn in to the lines of the coup)

Is it unreasonable to try to get a '63 split window for a reasonable price (a subjective thing I realize) but I am not a $140k barret jackson bidder;
Is the '63 one of the things that "newbies" ask for and then they evolve their tastes into other models,

One last question that may be a sore subject- my body shop says they can convert a beat up '64 into a '63 Split window "clone"
I can see this one two ways
1, what the heck, its a '64 non numbers car, seems everyone adds a stinger hood onto non BB cars, or side pipes onto a '65-'65 what's the difference?
2, the '63 is only sought after because its more rare and stop chasing unicorns...

If you guys were in the market now for a C2 what would you guys look for?
I guess I am trying to see if I should/can spend ....say $40k and pick a decent C2 that needs some work; do some work to get her road worthy and enjoy the car and not fuss over it too much (and less stress spending less $)
or say save upa bit more spend $70k or more and maybe find a Split window, or a better, maybe numbers matching car? and keep it more original and maybe it will be worth more in the long run??
(trying to decide the best amount to spend to get into the game in the correct car)
Just picking a few numbers based on what I am seeing on a 500 mile craigslist search
Thanks for taking the time to read/decipher and I appreciate any thoughts or follow up questions.
Bryan
Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Stock C2s don't need much on the way of suspension upgrades, although a lot of the members in this subforum have done some great stuff with theirs. 65-67s have disk brakes and they're fine in stock form. Cheap effective upgrades include Borgeson power steering, a bigger front sway bar and addition of a rear sway bar.

If you're looking for a driver, look for an inexpensive one. 64 non original motor cars seem to be the best priced all other things being equal. 63 coupes are expensive. Its a personal choice whether the look is worth the premium. You'll also do well financially buying someone else's project in some stage of completion.

Others will chime in. Weigh all the comments.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

[[color=#000000]One last question that may be a sore subject- my body shop says they can convert a beat up '64 into a '63 Split window "clone"
I can see this one two ways
1, what the heck, its a '64 non numbers car, seems everyone adds a stinger hood onto non BB cars, or side pipes onto a '65-'65 what's the difference?
2, the '63 is only sought after because its more rare and stop chasing unicorns...
your body shop is correct

1 a non numbers car is a car that does not have its original born with engine.
2 most everyone is caught up in the one year only split back window

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 02-18-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:57 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default C2

If your budget is $40,000 for a driver you are looking at lower end of the spectrum that will require work. You need to be able to spend 55k with 5-10 in reserve for things that come up. Ditching a Scout or two will not get you there.

The last full project 63 coupe I saw was $58,000.....not sure where you are seeing these good deal 63’s you speak of.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The 63s are the most primitive of the C2 breed, they also were the start of an evolutionary journey - so they have drum brakes, AM/FM radios only in later cars, the weakest (and first) Muncies to go into Corvettes, half shafts the same... The panache is their claim to being the first sting rays and sporting the one year only fiberglass rear strip... Making a 64 into a 63 would prob increase a project's cost by $6K or more considering the rear window stainless and how far they go trying to make it look original... Not sure it would be worth it to me, but it might be to some....
Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 PM
keith ragan
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 52 Posts

Her is one you may want to look at, seems like a nice car for a fair price. https://www.racingjunk.com/C2-1963-1...ype=&search=co
The following users liked this post:
scubadds (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I think you would have to be very fortunate to find something in the low 40s that is ready to go especially a coupe. I think 50 - 70 for something "nice" is more like it. Geography will play a part also. Metro area prices are usually higher than shall I say middle America. You will certainly pay a premium for a '63 SWC. The idea of converting a '64 into a SWC IMCO is ridiculous. It seems like a high quality driver that appears mostly stock would suit you best based on your original post.
Good luck in your search. I'll also add take your time and have someone who is very familiar with these cars go with you to help you evaluate what you are about to spend your money on.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Have you ever sat in a C-2 coupe? If your location is at the beach as you say, could be hot a stuffy if in the souther US, you better think A/C as a needed option. You don't say anything about engine preference. Get yourself a couple of coffee table books on '63-'67 Corvettes and study up before you make any moves. Dennis
Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 AM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Scuba, I was kinda where you were. Own and have worked on a bunch of cars, but have always wanted a C2-mid year vette.... Ever since I was a kid Love the lines, history and style, look, all of it. I also have spent most of my adulthood racing and building cars as opposed to playing golf. Its what I like to do. My cars have been more mid 60's to early 70's is my sweet spot, although I have new stuff.

I went looking for a C2 about 3 years ago and first created a list of what I wanted. preferred color, coupe vs vert, 4 vs 5 speed, stock vs modified, BB vs SB, Disks vs drums, etc.... I also had a list of things which I cared less about (working radio, wipers, etc).

All of this is subjective and you need to build your guardrails. Then spend some time looking as truth is, there are a ton of vettes for sale, so you can be pretty picky.

I do say, however, like most cars, decide to spend the most you can comfortably budget as if you look long enough, you will find what you want, in the condition you want.

I tend to look for cars that have been pretty much all done, with the need for the little stuff (which still can be expensive), for for me if a car has been "frame off" and the frame, brake lines and chassis stuff has been re-done, that saves me months of work. Same with Paint. I like to paint, but with limited time, finding a car that has been painted and is of the quality I expect, saves me lots of time and money...

Wheels, brakes, PS, PB, new convert top, door panels, carpets, radio, and stuff like that is 1-3k per, not 15k for paint, 10k to pull chassis and re do etc... Its a cost benefit analysis.

Now all that said, I personally like cars that handle really well (better than factor, especially mid 60's american handling standards), stop well, big, modern brakes, goes like hell (I am a HP junkie) and looks nice.

I was not year specific in my look as most cars have been modified, and the differences in my opinion are subtle.

I also really ruled out a numbers matching, all original car for the reasons above, as I did not need to spend the money on something I would modify anyway. Truly correct cars are expensive and while they are right for that buyer who appreciates a truly original car, its not me.

I found that cars in the 20's and 30's are pretty much full rebuild cars, which means 2-3 years and 50-60k to make nice. 40k cars will still cost another 20K to get where I wanted. So I said lets look at 50-60k cars, as they typically have good paint, motor/tranny, some suspension/brakes done and at that price the PO took care to make sure the frame and birdcage (inner steel frame in the cockpit) was good. People asking 30-40 can get a way with substandard frames and bird cages, At 50-60 you can't.

3 years ago, I found a 65, new red paint, white interior, BB vert with a new top, painted and cleaned up frame (not a spot of rust), side pipes, disk brakes and such. It did not have power brakes and power steering or AC. Basically the bones of the care were great.

Its been an awesome car and a TON of fun to drive.

This winter I wanted to upgrade a bunch of stuff and make it ride/handle/stop more like a modern car, so I am putting in a new modern suspension, bigger disks with power, power steering and fixing the little stuff.

Having driven a car which already had these upgrades done, I can tell you, it transforms what is already a great great car.

Stock they run good, stop ok and handle well. Frankly, better than most any other cars of the era. But, compared to newer cars, they are still a ton of fun, but my early 911's run circles around them. After upgrading, these cars can run with 911's and other cars, comfortably all day and like you, I wanted a stock looking car, so my body and overall look of the car is still period correct.

So, I guess what I am saying is don't cheap out if you can afford not to, especially if you want to drive it soonish, and the right car is out there waiting for you.

Oh, and while I too LOVE the look of coupe's, they are hot and confined...... Verts are open, accessible and for me, ultimately more fun

This is just my .02 so you are getting what you paid for with my opinion and yes your mileage may vary.

Lots of great great folk on here with decades of experience who will weigh in with great insights.

Good luck in your search
Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 AM
scubadds
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!
There is a lot of good advice here.
This Friday I will go look at a local '64 Coupe. Owner has a '61 and '64 and passed away last year; All I know is it has "bigger" motor. So I know it isn't a numbers car. (I didn't want to grill the owner as I was a cold call about the cars)

Local shop has two C2's they are working on. One is Pro Touring and they are asking $130k, and the other stock C2 (not for sale) had the body off last week, but neither car has the interior in to sit in.
I am 6'2" and on the leaner side; so I think it might be tight but good.

I just threw out some ballpark numbers to give some talking points, but the follow-up comments are helpful. ( I saw a '65 Coupe around $48k, that seemed to be in good driver shape; 3.5 hours away; I am not 'ready" to hit the road just quite yet until I get behind a few local ones and really get a feel for what I like......
50-60k is doable, just need to reallocate some other "toy' funds. I just needed to find the "slot' to budget.
My general tendency is to be "all in'; the Scout ii I am building will be better than new be a long shot; I did the same with my boat and other cars...
I doubt the corvette wouldn't be the same way; so i might as well aim high from the start
Thanks!
I think A/C is needed;
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

In my opinion, later cars are not necessarily better cars. For instance, don’t get hung up on disc brakes. Unless you’re making several consecutive 100mph to zero stops, road racing, or spending a lot of time on steep mountain roads, you’ll never see the advantage of discs over drums. Drums stop just fine and you avoid the corrosion issue of stock disc systems. With that said, a split hydraulic system is a good brake change, for safety. A lot of the other so-called “advantages of later mid-years, were GM’s way of reducing costs, not necessarily improving the car...

Get notified of new replies

To C2 questions; beginning shopping advice appreciated

Quick Reply: [C2] C2 questions; beginning shopping advice appreciated