Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to make a racing seat more comfortable on a long drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:59 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Trying to make a racing seat more comfortable on a long drive

Hello guys,
I am looking to go to Road America in September this year. I live close to montreal, so we are talking about a 16 hour drive to there. I do not have a truck, so it will be done with my car.

I have installed a OMP FIRST-R Racing seat in my car. In general, it is very comfortable and I love it (so much that I miss the side support when I get in other cars), but after about 3 hours, I start to develop pretty bad pain in the back of my thigh close to the knees, and in the rear of my *** (but not in my back). I tried to remove the front cushion while the pain was there, but I didn't see much of a difference. I am 6'2" 240lb if that matters.

I have tried to look at various ergonomic resources, but they mostly talk about the driving position, not seat improvements.

I would like to know if you guys have any tips to help on this. I thought about buying a memory foam cushion and put it on the seat, but instead of wasting money on trial and errors, I figured I could ask here first.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, what is your setup in terms of seat base mount and side mounts? Any sliders?
I'd guess adding some lumbar support and not having too much of a rake (which puts pressure on the back of the hamstrings) would help this.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Originally Posted by anth115
Hey, what is your setup in terms of seat base mount and side mounts? Any sliders?
I'd guess adding some lumbar support and not having too much of a rake (which puts pressure on the back of the hamstrings) would help this.
Base and slide mounts are the marrad ultra low complete kit. I have the sliders, but since my seat is not wide enough, the side brackets are caving in and they are not really working. I have a C5 z06 if that matters.

I was looking to buy longer bolts and washers this year to fix that.

Last edited by NoradIV; 02-19-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:02 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Man that's a long drive with no track support vehicle. I salute you.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Originally Posted by pjazz
Man that's a long drive with no track support vehicle. I salute you.
Track day, poor man's version.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I used to do 12 hours in my Sparco Pro 2000 with it hard mounted on the floor (similar mount to a Marrad). I gave that up after the AC compressor gave out with 3 hours to go on the way to Lincoln, NE in 95+ degree weather.

That said, the best thing for me was the nice comfortable seat, and just keep moving my legs around. Cruise control helped significantly, along with being able to lay back in the seat and relax somewhat.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:33 AM
synner
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

a) Put the stock seat in for the drive and install race seat at track
b) Accept the fact that 1 track day will be in OEM seat
c) After spine surgery I used patio furniture cushions to make my truck comfortable and take pressure off the hardware.
d) Buy foam from a cloth/hobby store, mold it to your ***, then cover with a crappy $20 seat cover so it stays in place

It depends if angle or firmness is the primary issue what the right fix is.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:19 PM
ATLZ16
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the 1" and 2" version of this (https://purple.com/seatcushions) and use them both driving the car on the street with ultra shield aluminum seats.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:44 PM
NoradIV
Racer

Originally Posted by mattastick
That said, the best thing for me was the nice comfortable seat, and just keep moving my legs around. Cruise control helped significantly, along with being able to lay back in the seat and relax somewhat.
Mine keeps my legs quite in check. Barely enough space for the manhood.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:06 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

oooff...hope nothing breaks on the car. Frankly, it took me one flatbed ride home from Mosport about 25yrs ago to decide I needed to tow. It makes things so much easier and mindless. For about 5 of those years I rented a U-Haul trailer (improvised loading) and towed with a 180hp Toyota 4Runner...lol

Now, while I have my own aluminum trailer and tow vehicle, frankly, I do so few track days that I should probably just rent a pick-up 3 x year from Enterprise.

Anyway, over the years, I've had at least 3 situations where I needed to tow back because the car wouldn't have been driveable, or tire problem, blah blah. Anyhow, good luck and enjoy...I love Road America and always wanted to try it in a fast car
Old 02-19-2019, 04:05 PM
NoradIV
Racer

Originally Posted by synner
a) Put the stock seat in for the drive and install race seat at track
b) Accept the fact that 1 track day will be in OEM seat
c) After spine surgery I used patio furniture cushions to make my truck comfortable and take pressure off the hardware.
d) Buy foam from a cloth/hobby store, mold it to your ***, then cover with a crappy $20 seat cover so it stays in place

It depends if angle or firmness is the primary issue what the right fix is.
My factory seat is broken, so that puts that out of the way.

Originally Posted by ATLZ16
I went with the 1" and 2" version of this (https://purple.com/seatcushions) and use them both driving the car on the street with ultra shield aluminum seats.
How would these compare to memory foam?

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
oooff...hope nothing breaks on the car. Frankly, it took me one flatbed ride home from Mosport about 25yrs ago to decide I needed to tow. It makes things so much easier and mindless. For about 5 of those years I rented a U-Haul trailer (improvised loading) and towed with a 180hp Toyota 4Runner...lol

Now, while I have my own aluminum trailer and tow vehicle, frankly, I do so few track days that I should probably just rent a pick-up 3 x year from Enterprise.

Anyway, over the years, I've had at least 3 situations where I needed to tow back because the car wouldn't have been driveable, or tire problem, blah blah. Anyhow, good luck and enjoy...I love Road America and always wanted to try it in a fast car
Thing is, I really don't need (or want) a SUV as a daily. The aditionnal cost of fuel/insurance/car itself would be a lot more expensive than just renting a truck via turo and a trailer for the couple events that are far. For everything else, we have CAA here. For I believe 250$, you get up to 4 tow call a year, and one that can be used up to 300 miles. And really, SUV are just way too boring in general; the only one I would have is a Jeep SRT8, and then, they don't come with a stick. #ManualTransmissionMasterRace

I am trying to visit at least one new track each year. Most of the stuff happen at nearby tracks, and once a year, I will go to one that is farther away,
Old 02-20-2019, 01:06 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've made the trek from the Detroit area to Calabogie a few times (~10.5 hours). It's much nicer in a truck with a trailer... That being said, the key is to change your seating position. I've used carpet pad and towels of different sizes to change up the seating position. Carpet pad is cheap, easy to cut and stack behind your lower back or under your rear to effectively change the seating angle. Towels can be folded to do the same thing and they are cooler/breathable in warm weather.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a memory foam seat cushion from the local drug store, its the kind used for hemorrhoids. It makes a huge difference when spending more than 20 minutes in the car.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought a 6-inch thick piece of the densest foam available from a foam shop and stuck it in a pillow case as a seat cushion. Not only does it help with comfort, but it gets my seating position high enough so it is close to stock.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,170 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Rent a truck and trailer.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:33 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Alright, I think I've got a lot of things to try out. Thank you guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to make a racing seat more comfortable on a long drive

Quick Reply: Trying to make a racing seat more comfortable on a long drive