I don’t know which c3 I should get. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 04:31 PM
Longboarder120
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don’t know which c3 I should get. Please help

I got my c3 here are some photos

<-(edit) I’m getting a c3 corvette in about 2 months, I found a few I’m interested in near me but I’m not sure what would be best for me. So there’s a 1982,1981,1977,1973,1970,1969, the link for each of these cars will be down below. I love all of them but I like the rear end from 69-73 and I like the front from 80-82, I haven’t seen any of them in person yet, I’m going to start looking at them next month. They are all around 25,000$ and around the same condition but mileage verys. What kind of problems would these c3 get at certain miles?I know a few things to look for like any rust on the frame and bird cage, and if the fiber glass is warped or cracked. Which ever one I get it won’t be stock forever, in a few years I’m going to want fender flares and wider tires, I probably won’t do anything to the engine, I’ll just replace parts that are broken with modern ones that are better so eventually it will be a restomod I guess. but what I’m curious about is can I buy a 1981 for example and get a bodyshop to make the rear end and rear window like a 1969-1973 or just buy a rear of a 69-73 and put it on the 81, because I’m not sure if it’s compatible or if anyone had done that, and how much would something like this cost?

1969https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-coll...ationFlag=true

1977https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true

1970https://www.auto123.com/en/used-cars...com?id=9028591

1973https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/4492273/

1981https://www.auto123.com/en/used-cars...ada?id=7918388

1982 crossfire https://www.auto123.com/en/used-cars...ada?id=7076074

Last edited by Longboarder120; 04-22-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 02-20-2019, 05:16 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 862 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Longboarder120
I’m getting a c3 corvette in about 2 months, I found a few I’m interested in near me but I’m not sure what would be best for me. So there’s a 1982,1981,1977,1973,1970,1969, the link for each of these cars will be down below. I love all of them but I like the rear end from 69-73 and I like the front from 80-82, I haven’t seen any of them in person yet, I’m going to start looking at them next month. They are all around 25,000$ and around the same condition but mileage verys. What kind of problems would these c3 get at certain miles?I know a few things to look for like any rust on the frame and bird cage, and if the fiber glass is warped or cracked. Which ever one I get it won’t be stock forever, in a few years I’m going to want fender flares and wider tires, I probably won’t do anything to the engine, I’ll just replace parts that are broken with modern ones that are better so eventually it will be a restomod I guess. but what I’m curious about is can I buy a 1981 for example and get a bodyshop to make the rear end and rear window like a 1969-1973 or just buy a rear of a 69-73 and put it on the 81, because I’m not sure if it’s compatible or if anyone had done that, and how much would something like this cost?
Welcome to the Forum! Since you want flares and make a restomod and like the look of the rubber bumper in the front and chrome in the back that '73 looks like the way to go. It'd be easier to hang the '80-'82 front end on that than taking a later car and putting chrome bumpers on it. Although if you look on this forum, it has been done. That '73 also looks like it has had its chassis restored- not a bad way to start. Personally, the '69 is my favorite C3 for many reasons. The one you are looking at looks like it has had some custom touches to it, especially under the hood. The car is also an automatic- if that makes a difference to you. Those later C3s in the $25k range seems like a lot of money. Perhaps thats what they sell for in Canada? I am not sure what you are asking about "what kind of problems these C3s get at certain miles?" I have had cars with very low miles have a lot of problems because they weren't driven and I have had cars with higher mileage that were maintained properly that never gave me a problem. Good Luck, I am sure you will get a lot of good advice from this forum as questions arise.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRat
Welcome to the Forum! Since you want flares and make a restomod and like the look of the rubber bumper in the front and chrome in the back that '73 looks like the way to go. It'd be easier to hang the '80-'82 front end on that than taking a later car and putting chrome bumpers on it. Although if you look on this forum, it has been done. That '73 also looks like it has had its chassis restored- not a bad way to start. Personally, the '69 is my favorite C3 for many reasons. The one you are looking at looks like it has had some custom touches to it, especially under the hood. The car is also an automatic- if that makes a difference to you. Those later C3s in the $25k range seems like a lot of money. Perhaps thats what they sell for in Canada? I am not sure what you are asking about "what kind of problems these C3s get at certain miles?" I have had cars with very low miles have a lot of problems because they weren't driven and I have had cars with higher mileage that were maintained properly that never gave me a problem. Good Luck, I am sure you will get a lot of good advice from this forum as questions arise.
The only car I would say to stay away from is the 81, 82 due to the cross fire. . Due to the computer and fuel injection. More costly to repair.

73 would be the best choice based on your thoughts …. Just change the front plastic cover to the one you want.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 02-20-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Since some of the listed prices are in US dollars, they seem high compared to the market here in the states. With Canadian winters as harsh as they are, inspect the cars VERY carefully for rust in the birdcage and on the frame. Repairs are extremely expensive and you will need a shop that knows Corvettes. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Longboarder120
Intermediate

ya I really do like that 73 but it’s manual, I’ve only driven a manual car once in my drivers course since then I’ve always had a automatic so I’m not sure if it’s good if I learn again on that car. It needs a new interior, and that’s about it. I don’t mind that it needs a new interior because the guy is selling cuz it’s costing him to much to restore he has all new brakes, engine, transmission, and suspension, everything mechanical but what I’m worried about is it will cost to much gas because I’m planning on daily driving it to work when it’s sunny out

Last edited by Longboarder120; 02-20-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

.... but what I’m curious about is can I buy a 1981 for example and get a bodyshop to make the rear end and rear window like a 1969-1973 or just buy a rear of a 69-73 and put it on the 81, because I’m not sure if it’s compatible or if anyone had done that, and how much would something like this cost?
Modifications like this are ill advised as they would obliterate any sensible budget. You need to make friends with a couple of car guys and maybe visit a few shops in your area to see if you can find one that is Corvette friendly. And stay in touch here with your thinking as the advice here is excellent.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Longboarder120
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLUE1972

The only car I would say to stay away from is the 81. Due to the computer and fuel injection. More costly to repair.

73 would be the best choice based on your thoughts …. Just change the front plastic cover to the one you want.
is it only the 81 that has those problems? What about the 82 or 80?

Originally Posted by slammin
Since some of the listed prices are in US dollars, they seem high compared to the market here in the states. With Canadian winters as harsh as they are, inspect the cars VERY carefully for rust in the birdcage and on the frame. Repairs are extremely expensive and you will need a shop that knows Corvettes. Good luck with your search.
it’s 20% more here vs American, so 25,000$ Is 20,000$ for you guys, the winter won’t rust them it’s he salt on the road they use here that eats metal, but the winter can be bad for the fiber glass, I talked to 2 guys here that my dad knows who still have c3’s and they said it’s best not to leave it In the elements, and atleast cover it up and put it on some wooden blocks, but the best would be to put it in heated storage. I don’t know how much that would cost monthly?

Last edited by Longboarder120; 02-20-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 PM
KingRat
Drifting

is it only the 81 that has those problems? What about the 82 or 80?

it’s 20% more here vs American, so 25,000$ Is 20,000$ for you guys, the winter won’t rust them it’s he salt on the road they use here that eats metal, but the winter can be bad for the fiber glass, I talked to 2 guys here that my dad knows who still have c3’s and they said it’s best not to leave it In the elements, and at least cover it up and put it on some wooden blocks, but the best would be to put it in heated storage. I don’t know how much that would cost monthly?
In the case of the 77, 81, 82, they are way way overpriced in my opinion. You will enjoy the manual transmission more than the automatic. I learned to drive manual transmission after I bought my '69 427 car- You'll catch the hang of it in an afternoon. As far as fuel economy and being a daily driver- none of these cars sip gas.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Longboarder120
Intermediate

In the case of the 77, 81, 82, they are way way overpriced in my opinion. You will enjoy the manual transmission more than the automatic. I learned to drive manual transmission after I bought my '69 427 car- You'll catch the hang of it in an afternoon. As far as fuel economy and being a daily driver- none of these cars sip gas.
in your opinion or from what you’ve seen c3 go for over there how much are they costing for similar condition? Also how much does your 69 427 cost gas for driving highway speeds for an hour?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

well I must say that the 68 to 72s are chrome bumpers in front and back ,those are the ones that are going up in value more than the others ,but they are all nice ,I had a 79 that was a nice car ,you decide!!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

The 1969 through 1972, are the only valuable C3s to me.

...I bought a brand new 1977 C3 in 1976, and even by then, the thrill of C3 desirability was already long gone.

..Go early C3. Silver nose bumper ONLY.....
Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Of the ones you listed, I'd probably get that 73, but that's just because you didn't list a 79 or 80.

Before you buy anything, go sit in one. You can put 79-82 seats in an earlier car, but you may find you prefer the rest of the later interior and the big back window, which are a lot harder to change.

And then go drive one. The 73 is also the only manual transmission you linked to, which determines the overall experience of the car more than anything else.

If you like the sugar scoop and chrome rear bumper, there are numerous examples of 80-82 front end replacements, later down the road.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 AM
KingRat
Drifting

in your opinion or from what you’ve seen c3 go for over there how much are they costing for similar condition? Also how much does your 69 427 cost gas for driving highway speeds for an hour?
My actual experience. I have owned several very nice late C3s. I find these cars all of the time in excellent condition for $12-15k US. My '69 427 cars get about 8mpg MAYBE 12 mpg on the highway if I take it easy.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM
frosty80
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a thought that I haven't seen posted, but its almost always cheaper to buy a finished car that is really close to what you want so that the previous owner takes the loss of modifying/restoring the car. I bet you could buy a cheaper c3 that is mechanically solid so you can daily it when its sunny out and then keep a look out for another c3 that already has some nice mods like fender flares or maybe even the 80 front end already hung on a chrome bumper early model. Keep in mind that there were a TON of c3s made and there is no shortage of them in the market place if you have some patience. You may also consider buying a car further away from you and having it shipped just to widen your options and possibly get you a vette that already has the body mods to it. I'm on craigslist 4-6 days a week looking for corvettes in a 500 mile radius of me and sometimes search the whole US for fun and Ive seen a lot of modded corvettes that might fit the bill
Old 02-21-2019, 12:55 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Personally Id ignore the mileage, chances are the seller has no idea how many they have on them. Many disconnected the cable, turned them back, swapped out clusters it was done all the time. .
What Id pay attention to is condition and how it drives, thats what youre really stuck with once you hand over the money.

These are pretty old and shouldnt be bought sight unseen. You may love the look of say a 73 but hate the way it drives compared to an 81 or vice versa.

Last edited by cv67; 02-21-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM
frosty80
Intermediate

$15,000
https://huntington.craigslist.org/ct...810320671.html

Get notified of new replies

To I don’t know which c3 I should get. Please help

Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 PM
frosty80
Intermediate

I dont think anyone answered your question on how much it would cost to do the modifications and I will attempt to
you will need:
front clip $1459.99
bumper $400
frame rail extension/bracing for the 80-82 front end, impact rubber that goes behind the bumper, fiberglass impact bar and fiberglass extensions $769.97https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-OEM-Front-Bumper-Frame-Extension-Impact-Bar-Assembly-1980-1982/152858560879?hash=item239714896f:g:MBMAA OSwO7VaU9MN:rk:3:pf:1
bumper hardware $100
lower rubber lip $92.99 + attaching hardware $16.99
lower air scoop that bolts to bumper $179.99
2 wheel well plastic extension pieces (cant find them anywhere online)
grills and lights $164.90
side markers $108.99
side grills $41.99
Just for part youre looking at $3,335.81 and thats just a list off the top of my head. These numbers are from ecklers and ebay. For labor I cant imagine a shop doing this for less than $1,500-2500 just to install the clip and then you would still need paint another $1,000-2,000 to paint the front if you can even color match the rest of the car, if not $5,000+ to repaint the whole car and there will be so many miscellaneous items that pop up like weather stripping if your doing paint, headlight assemblies actuators relays, bonding adhesives for mounting the front clip, radiator core support if yours is rotted out (very common issue with these cars, just did mine) and you might just need one since the early model core supports are different from the later ones. So best case scenario from my numbers is about $6,000 worst case $11,000. Im sure you can find parts cheaper if you want to invest many hours searching, maybe the best bet is to get everything from a parts car or corvette dismantler but labor for install and paint is still going to be pricey, you must find a corvette specialty shop to do this work, it is highly specialized and there are many small details that regular body shops just cant know unless they work on these cars.

I cannot recommend enough that you try to buy the car you want instead of having it built unless you really want to experience that process. Ive been building my car and have many times the value of the car invested in it and countless hours. Ive enjoyed it a lot but I would have a lot more money and time if I bought a finished car. Also now that I think of it, I would also have spent a lot more time driving and enjoying the car if I bought it finished.

I recently cleaned up the front end bracing, headlight mounting bar, behind the bumper, the front of the engine bay, core support etc on my 80. here is some pictures of it, I have gotten very familiar with all the parts up front and its quite a lot of components.

Last edited by frosty80; 02-21-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

One thing we need to remember, the OP is in Canada and unless he finds the parts north of the border, he has to deal with the exchange rate (US dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar) customs costs, and the normally outrageous shipping costs. The C3 he wants will be much cheaper if all the modifications have already been completed. My C3 shopping has taught me, most buyers want a car that is basically stock. Those for sale with body kits, altered headlights, flared fenders, etc, sell for less and take longer to sell. I don't know how much hassle it is to import a used car to Canada, but it may be worth the effort. I would suggest he get an Ecklers C3 catalog and check out the prices for interior pieces. Replacing most of a C3 interior with repro parts can easily be north of 2 grand.
The following users liked this post:
frosty80 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Longboarder120
Intermediate

Can some one tell me how much it would cost to paint a 69-70 in monza red ?

Quick Reply: I don’t know which c3 I should get. Please help