C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 PM
mmo24
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clutch Recommendations

Did a search and couldn't find much.
2002 base model
So I'm thinking my clutch is on its way out, its all the way at the top (highest point) before it fully engages. Gears shifts smooth and its not slipping or grinding yet but I'm thinking I should get it replaced asap. Its the stock clutch car has 58,xxx miles. The pedal is also seems loose but that could be normal as far as I know as this is my first vette. I've flushed the fluid and got all the nasty fluid out.

Anyways I'm asking for recommendations on which clutch to get for replacement? Will be having a shop do the change and they quoted me at $2000 with oem clutch and resurfacing flywheel. I'm trying to save on a clutch but don't want a cheap one that'll go out anytime soon if that makes sense. Let me know which route I should go please. Thanks!

Also car is stock and only mods a plan on doing are exhaust, headers, intake and tune.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Estimate for clutch[4].pdf (47.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by mmo24; 02-20-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Year of car, base or Z06?

Are you certain the clutch is going out?

Probably Luk clutch, which is the brand they came with new, there are 2 Luk choices, I'm thinking one is for the Z06.

Also I think they come with a new flywheel, however you may need to have it balanced.

Also want to put in new pilot bearing, slave cylinder, add a remote clutch bleeder.

Some say to put LS7 clutch on C5, but it is more heavy and make car feel slower, I'm still on my stock clutch at 90,000 so I have no experience with clutch choices personally, but if you are keeping near stock, I would think stock Luk clutch should be ok, maybe get the heavy duty version.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 PM
mmo24
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
Year of car, base or Z06?

Are you certain the clutch is going out?

Probably Luk clutch, which is the brand they came with new, there are 2 Luk choices, I'm thinking one is for the Z06.

Also I think they come with a new flywheel, however you may need to have it balanced.

Also want to put in new pilot bearing, slave cylinder, add a remote clutch bleeder.

Some say to put LS7 clutch on C5, but it is more heavy and make car feel slower, I'm still on my stock clutch at 90,000 so I have no experience with clutch choices personally, but if you are keeping near stock, I would think stock Luk clutch should be ok, maybe get the heavy duty version.
02 base model
Old 02-20-2019, 09:33 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

RepSet®; Heavy-Duty; Includes Flywheel

Upgrading a vehicle to meet the challenges of extreme conditions requires an upgrade to the clutch. Engine, suspension, tire and gearing modifications require clutches with a higher clamp load and torque capacity than a stock clutch can deliver. LuK RepSet® Heavy Duty kits are high-performance clutch sets engineered – not modified – to handle the torque, heat and punishment of extreme conditions without sacrificing clutch life.

LuK RepSet® Heavy Duty Features & Benefits:
  • Contains all components needed for clutch replacement
  • Engineered and manufactured to exceed OE specifications
  • Precision-machined from premium grade cast iron
  • Excellent heat-absorbing capacity
  • Superior quality friction surface
  • Perfectly balanced

The following users liked this post:
mmo24 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 PM
mmo24
Advanced

I'm liking that heavy duty one, probably going to go with that!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

I would choose the 04905 heavy duty, this might be the C5 Z06 factory clutch, for near stock or stock.

Might find it for less with a part # search.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 PM
mmo24
Advanced

Appreciate it man thanks!!

Last edited by mmo24; 02-21-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mmo24
Appreciate man thanks!!
No problem, maybe before you order see what others think or suggest, there might be even better options.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Chose 2010 Z06 just to see, this kit and flywheel don't cost that much more, I have read some say LS7 clutch/flywheel makes car slower, or feel slower. Member Pounder has one and he said it drives fine, maybe you could message him and ask if he doesn't reply.

I would like to hear more about LS7 clutch on C5 making it slower.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 PM
jimmyLSX
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
I would choose the 04905 heavy duty, this might be the C5 Z06 factory clutch, for near stock or stock.

Might find it for less with a part # search.
LUK 04173 is an LS6 clutch

LUK 04905 is an LS7 clutch.

The LUK clutch kit you found on ******** for a 2010 z06 is the same as 04905 minus the flywheel, pilot bearing, and newer slave cylinder. I've installed multiple 04905 kits in fbodies,gto, and ybodies. The flywheel, disc and pressure plate are the same as an LS7 kit ordered from GM.

The stock LS6 clutch kit weighs between 51-52 lbs

The stock LS7 clutch kit weighs between 58-59 lbs. The difference in power loss would probably be between 5-7rwhp across the power curve going with an LS7 over an LS6. But the LS6 clutch can't take more then 400rwhp and doesn't like to be repeatedly abused unlike the LS7, though neither clutch is recommended for repeated strip use.

Their are aftermarket aluminum flywheels that can be bought to lower the overall weight of an LS7 kit. The Ram aluminum flywheel that weighs 16lbs drops the LS7 kit weight to 46lbs, and also the Fidanza aluminum flywheel that weighs 12lbs drops the LS7 kit weight down to 42lbs. Though their are cons to running an aluminum flywheel, those topics have been thoroughly discussed on the forum, and I won't go into detail because it is entirely subjective.

Last edited by jimmyLSX; 02-20-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 PM
jimmyLSX
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Also mmo24 make sure the shop is well qualified on removing the drivetrain from a 97+ corvette, the price of labor looks to be alright for a small automotive shop. Most of my local GM stealerships here in california charge between 1800-2200 in labor for a clutch replacement for a C5-C6 corvette.

edit, also make sure to get the new clutch assembly hot balanced to your original clutch kit, if not drive-train vibrations will be more apparent depending how off balance the new clutch kit is to the original.

Last edited by jimmyLSX; 02-20-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:23 AM
mmo24
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmyLSX
Also mmo24 make sure the shop is well qualified on removing the drivetrain from a 97+ corvette, the price of labor looks to be alright for a small automotive shop. Most of my local GM stealerships here in california charge between 1800-2200 in labor for a clutch replacement for a C5-C6 corvette.

edit, also make sure to get the new clutch assembly hot balanced to your original clutch kit, if not drive-train vibrations will be more apparent depending how off balance the new clutch kit is to the original.
I will be calling around to get some more estimates here as well. I'm sure a chevy dealership here would be outrageous in labor, which is why I don't usually bother taking it there lol. The shop that quoted me says they can work on Corvettes when I called on the phone, and has nothing but good reviews online so I guess we'll see once I do some more shopping around.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:02 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimmyLSX
LUK 04173 is an LS6 clutch

LUK 04905 is an LS7 clutch.

The LUK clutch kit you found on ******** for a 2010 z06 is the same as 04905 minus the flywheel, pilot bearing, and newer slave cylinder. I've installed multiple 04905 kits in fbodies,gto, and ybodies. The flywheel, disc and pressure plate are the same as an LS7 kit ordered from GM.

The stock LS6 clutch kit weighs between 51-52 lbs

The stock LS7 clutch kit weighs between 58-59 lbs. The difference in power loss would probably be between 5-7rwhp across the power curve going with an LS7 over an LS6. But the LS6 clutch can't take more then 400rwhp and doesn't like to be repeatedly abused unlike the LS7, though neither clutch is recommended for repeated strip use.

Their are aftermarket aluminum flywheels that can be bought to lower the overall weight of an LS7 kit. The Ram aluminum flywheel that weighs 16lbs drops the LS7 kit weight to 46lbs, and also the Fidanza aluminum flywheel that weighs 12lbs drops the LS7 kit weight down to 42lbs. Though their are cons to running an aluminum flywheel, those topics have been thoroughly discussed on the forum, and I won't go into detail because it is entirely subjective.
That is interesting, so the LS6 (04173) should be a stronger clutch than the factory clutch in non Z06 C5 Corvettes, or were all stock C5 and C5 Z06 clutches the same?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:14 PM
mmo24
Advanced

I might just have them do it but supply them with the parts I want, which are much cheaper.

Here's the quote from the local Chevy dealer:

Per your request, below is a quote for having the clutch replaced on a 2002 Corvette. This quote does include the slave cylinder, which is recommended but not required for the replacement of the clutch. Replacement of the slave cylinder will be optional based on what you wish to do.

Clutch Kit (w/ Flywheel) $780.70

Slave Cylinder $213.44

Labor: $1002.00

Subtotal w/o tax: $1997.14

The required GM parts would be coming from Reno and would take 2-3 business days to ship to our facility to have the repair completed. Once the vehicle is put in our state of the art facility and with one of our factory trained Corvette experts, the repair will likely take 2 days of wrenching time from start to finish.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM
edironbro378
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey I just got done replacing my own clutch, master cylinder,and slave cylinder. plus the remote bleeder, I had ordered a repset clutch kit from rock auto, and they sent the first one with wrong bolt s, and the second one with the balance marks off. I finally went to , CARID.COM , they have the repset clutch kit for 237.00 , plus I got my parts in 3 days, with correct balance and special instructions on matching the flywheel balance for my corvette, ( as each motorr is balanced with the clutch installed) wich is very mportant to get correctly, because the torktube acts like a tuneing fork, and will magnify any vibration. .p.s. to balance flywheel , lay old one next to new one with the keyways matching and look in the holes around the perimeter of the flywheel and u will see a couple with a plug in them and a paint mark. just knock them out and install in the same hole on the new flywheel.
The following users liked this post:
douglasjre (05-19-2023)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 PM
mmo24
Advanced

Originally Posted by edironbro378
hey I just got done replacing my own clutch, master cylinder,and slave cylinder. plus the remote bleeder, I had ordered a repset clutch kit from rock auto, and they sent the first one with wrong bolt s, and the second one with the balance marks off. I finally went to , CARID.COM , they have the repset clutch kit for 237.00 , plus I got my parts in 3 days, with correct balance and special instructions on matching the flywheel balance for my corvette, ( as each motorr is balanced with the clutch installed) wich is very mportant to get correctly, because the torktube acts like a tuneing fork, and will magnify any vibration. .p.s. to balance flywheel , lay old one next to new one with the keyways matching and look in the holes around the perimeter of the flywheel and u will see a couple with a plug in them and a paint mark. just knock them out and install in the same hole on the new flywheel.
Okay thanks for the info! Sounds like Ill be ordering from Carid.com instead. How are you liking the new clutch? Did it grab better after the change? Mine is currently all the way at the top.

Last edited by mmo24; 02-21-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Consider the torque tube bushings while you're in there. Slave cylinder too. There's some redundant labor with the exhaust if you were going to pay someone to do the headers/exhaust you mentioned up top.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Recommendations

Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 PM
mmo24
Advanced

Originally Posted by Time for a C-5
Consider the torque tube bushings while you're in there. Slave cylinder too. There's some redundant labor with the exhaust if you were going to pay someone to do the headers/exhaust you mentioned up top.
Can't seem to figure out what brand of slave to get. I'm getting a Luk LS7 clutch and Luk master, not seeing a Luk slave though. Are the Dorman one's a good or bad choice? Also should I be getting a different brand master or is Luk a good choice?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mmo24
Can't seem to figure out what brand of slave to get. I'm getting a Luk LS7 clutch and Luk master, not seeing a Luk slave though. Are the Dorman one's a good or bad choice? Also should I be getting a different brand master or is Luk a good choice?
I put a monster kit on mine with an oem slave. I did not change my clutch master.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:06 AM
edironbro378
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the new cliutch works great. did you know that the clutch assembly from the factory is self adjusting , you feel pretty much the same position and feel on the clutch pedal through out the life of the clutch till the very end, then it drops fast. one sign I had was the sticking clutch pedal. so don't replace the clutch without doing the whole assembly and the slave cylinder with the master cylinder and don't forget the remote bleeder, its almost impossible to bleed the car without it.. just do a search on the forum. you can learn a lot on this site , I pretty much learned how to change mine myself , and I had fun doing it.

Quick Reply: Clutch Recommendations