Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Exhaust for the 1000th Time

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Speedracer42
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Exhaust for the 1000th Time

So, I just bought a super clean low mile, totally bone stock Z06. I jumped on a bunch of cosmetic mods right away and wanted to also do something with the vacuum cleaner sounding stock exhaust. I saw a bunch of cars for sale that simply had muffler deletes and all of those owners said, "yeah its not that loud". And YouTube clips sounded very reasonable too. So, I took it to my local shop who is fantastic and are the actual inventors of the X pipe. They did a perfect job on the bends and added some black 4' tips. On start up and on throttle holy **** it sounded amazing. But driving, especially at cruise and under slight load the drone in the car was deafening. There was NO way I could live with that. So I took it back and added in traditional mufflers from Magnaflow that mimics the muffler they use in their street kit. Now the cabin noise is MUCH better and the exhaust note is, ok. What is the cabin noise, and more specifically the drone noise like in cars with exhaust like Billy Boat that uses the smaller round style mufflers? I would hope it would still have to be MUCH better than the muffler delete cars, beause there was just no way for me to keep driving that without a helmet on LOL.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 AM
Blk07Z06
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 29 Posts

Billy Boat Fusion Exhaust FTW!
The following users liked this post:
Speedracer42 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 12:38 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Number one best way to avoid exhaust drone......

downshift and drive faster.🇺🇸🦅

Last edited by 73DBG; 02-22-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:28 AM
anothertoy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have now dumped cash into 2 different exhaust setups that you aren't happy with. Find local people with other exhaust systems you can listen to and go for a ride with. We all love to talk about and show off our cars. I love Borla stingers but Corsa may be the system you're looking for. Good luck and don't rush into it. The research can be the most fun part of it.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 AM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

OP, whatever you do.. do not buy a bullet system. I just replaced my Billy Boat Bullet Catback. I replaced it with a modded stock muffler system. Night and day.

now keep in mind.. I have a catted x pipe. I have heard so many people say the stock modded mufflers have drone etc.. when I say night and day compared to my bullets I’m not lying.

The stock modded mufflers have ZERO drone compared to my bullets. The bullets were a 11 out of 10 for drone and the stock modded mufflers are 4/10 maybe. I LOVE loud exhaust and actually think the modded mufflers are too quiet inside the cabin even when open. I have only used quiet mode once.

The bullets would almost make your ears numb after 45-1 hr of driving. I do not care what people say the bullets were ridiculous and put the modded mufflers to shame in the drone department.

Now... I have an off-road x pipe(catless) being shipped to me from American Racing. I want to swap out my catted x pipe. So I’ll report back about drone with modded mufflers after that. But I know it won’t be anywhere near the bullets still.

However! If you want a set of bullets I have a very nice set with only about 15k miles on them I’ll sell you!

hope this helps
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 AM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

On a side note can you post a pic of the 4” black tips they welded on and where did you or they purchase them?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Put a set of 2010 and up ZR1 mufflers on it and be done. I just sold my ZR1 mufflers to a guy in Cali. and he said he can't believe the difference they made.He loves the sound.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:21 AM
alec427
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Gorgeous Z - congrats and welcome!

Corsa Sport hands down for me. Stock w/Corsa was reasonable around town and absolutely screamed at WOT. Couldn't make it drone if I tried to.

Now even with B3 Cam and Catless LT's, drone isn't bad but sounds like a Nascar at partial/full throttle.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

ARH catless & headers with stock mufflers in quiet mode have very small amounts of drone...when open has a ton. Just nature of the beast - picture it like organ pipes and you will understand what is going on. Corsa sound too high pitch for my personal taste but it does have sound cancelation to prevent drone.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM
TOM WELCH
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Im on the fence about this issue as well, Im perfectly fine with quiet exhaust, loud isn't fast. I do have headers that makes the stock mufflers louder, I can also open the exhaust valves at will with my Dash Logic controller, so if I want louder I have it, no exhaust drone at all. If there was a measurable performance gain with a catback system I might be interested, but I'd want a 10 percent gain in useable power, that would make up for excessive noise from the exhaust, for me.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Speedracer42
Instructor

For sure. Let me see if I can get it in the air today and I will take a pic. I can ask my shop where they got the tips from, but they aren't gloss (I wish they were) they are flat black powder coated.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Speedracer42
Instructor

Interesting! I hadn't thought of that as an option.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Speedracer42
Instructor

Originally Posted by Texasthunder
Put a set of 2010 and up ZR1 mufflers on it and be done. I just sold my ZR1 mufflers to a guy in Cali. and he said he can't believe the difference they made.He loves the sound.
That is an interesting option. I hadn't thought of it.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Speedracer42
Instructor

In fairness, Im sure what I have now sounds great outside the car. And the drone being gone is a lifesaver. There is seriously no way I could have road tripped before without getting a migraine. But like many here, I am a huge child and just want that balance of comfortable in the car vs. sounds like a proper hot rod outside.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Only option for that is corsa then...
Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Why delete one of the most awesome features to the car...the dual mode exhasut? B&B Fusions plus a M2W switch. Quiet when you need it, and deep muscle car sound when want it...and they look fantastic with the 4" tips versus the puny stockers.

And don't pay any attention if someone says "B&B Fusion is heavier than stock"...its only 2lbs for fu*ks sake. That's equates to about 1/3 of 1 gallon of gas in weight. Those same people will then proceed to upsize their tires to 285 or 295 front, and 345 rears...and add ~2lbs of unsprung rotating mass at each corner.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Speedracer42
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Why delete one of the most awesome features to the car...the dual mode exhasut? B&B Fusions plus a M2W switch. Quiet when you need it, and deep muscle car sound when want it...and they look fantastic with the 4" tips versus the puny stockers.

And don't pay any attention if someone says "B&B Fusion is heavier than stock"...its only 2lbs for fu*ks sake. That's equates to about 1/3 of 1 gallon of gas in weight. Those same people will then proceed to upsize their tires to 285 or 295 front, and 345 rears...and add ~2lbs of unsprung rotating mass at each corner.
My friend just picked up a Billy Boat system for his car. So I'm curious to hear what it sounds like

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust for the 1000th Time

Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM
tonysz06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by anothertoy
You have now dumped cash into 2 different exhaust setups that you aren't happy with. Find local people with other exhaust systems you can listen to and go for a ride with. We all love to talk about and show off our cars. I love Borla stingers but Corsa may be the system you're looking for. Good luck and don't rush into it. The research can be the most fun part of it.
4" Corsa Sports in Blk and be done with it. Little to zero drone. I have them on my ZR1 and love them, especially in the upper rpm ranges.
Just my opine!!

Last edited by tonysz06; 02-22-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: wrong size exhaust listed
Old 02-22-2019, 04:36 PM
tonysz06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer42
So, I just bought a super clean low mile, totally bone stock Z06. I jumped on a bunch of cosmetic mods right away and wanted to also do something with the vacuum cleaner sounding stock exhaust. I saw a bunch of cars for sale that simply had muffler deletes and all of those owners said, "yeah its not that loud". And YouTube clips sounded very reasonable too. So, I took it to my local shop who is fantastic and are the actual inventors of the X pipe. They did a perfect job on the bends and added some black 4' tips. On start up and on throttle holy **** it sounded amazing. But driving, especially at cruise and under slight load the drone in the car was deafening. There was NO way I could live with that. So I took it back and added in traditional mufflers from Magnaflow that mimics the muffler they use in their street kit. Now the cabin noise is MUCH better and the exhaust note is, ok. What is the cabin noise, and more specifically the drone noise like in cars with exhaust like Billy Boat that uses the smaller round style mufflers? I would hope it would still have to be MUCH better than the muffler delete cars, beause there was just no way for me to keep driving that without a helmet on LOL.
4" Corsa Blacks, little to no drone. Sounds great wot or upper rpm range while shifting. Nice gurgle during deceleration too.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:54 PM
bobandc
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Regardless of exhaust that is one nice looking Z. Mine is black but that yellow with the black wheels is fantastic!

I have Billy Boats on mine and even after adding some baffles the drone in 6th can be high enough that I end up cruising in 5th. It's next on the list to be addressed.

Quick Reply: Exhaust for the 1000th Time