Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Vettestang1978
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hello guys I am new to the Corvette world, just purchased my first Corvette a 2000 c5 just waiting for the frozen tundra here in Canada to thaw out, so I can pick it up from storage, due to my budget ( and having 5 kids will do that) I couldn't afford a Z06 will the C5 be ok? I am coming over from a 1990 foxbody Mustang, and what would recommendations be for first upgrades to be done on it, all maintenance has been done and she was well taken care of, thanks for any input
Old 02-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Welcome to the C5 world. You'll have a blast. Best advice........Drive it!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

With five kids, I would put that extra money away for their schooling. The C5 is a lot of fun right out of the box. Welcome to the Corvette Forum. A 19 year old car can have problems, so its always good to have extra money for repairs. Unfortunately Corvettes break down too, and unlike the fox body, a Corvette repair usually come with the Corvette tax.
Bill aka ET
Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Vettestang1978
Heel & Toe

Im kind of realizing the Corvette tax already as I was inquiring about installing a double din in my Vette and one guy said " I will have to charge a little more because it's a Corvette" and don't get me started on college fund.....yikes
Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Welcome to the asylum...
Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 PM
corvette.cw
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome! Post some pics of your C5 when you can.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the C5.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:39 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettestang1978
Im kind of realizing the Corvette tax already as I was inquiring about installing a double din in my Vette and one guy said " I will have to charge a little more because it's a Corvette" and don't get me started on college fund.....yikes
A double DIN in a C5 is an undertaking, do a Google search. Welcome aboard.
Grant in BC
Old 02-22-2019, 06:24 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I am glad you are a vette owner and welcome to the mad house
Keep your vette stock for now. Performance modifications usually mean a retune and the tune's are not cheap.
Good luck.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:06 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 246 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Welcome and congratulations. It's a good idea to fill in the Location field in your profile OH and

What color? M6 or A4? As for the C5, just drive it. They are very dependable cars if you do the appropriate maintenance on 'em, KEEP THE BATTERY FULL CHARGED! (Battery Tender Plus highly recommended). If you haven't already read it, I'd suggest reading the sticky at the top about buying a C5. There's a lot of good information about the beasties there.

As for mods; personal preference. Personally, I haven't done much to mine. It came with a Honker. I did upgrade to the c6 sway bars. Also picked up a C6 cat-back. Had it tuned which did make it snappier and also had the 1-4 shift programmed out as well as the dreaded 2mph fuel cut off. If it's a M6 - definitely get an LMC5 and install it now before trouble hits.... Bottom line; just enjoy it.

As for college, it's WAY over-rated!!! EsPECIALLY these days. There are tons of college grads who have to go home to live with Mommy and Daddy because they can't find jobs in advanced basket weaving while the trades are screaming for GOOD people who are willing to actually WORK.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Congrats on the "new" sled...
Your in the right place to keep your C5 in tip top condition...
Upgrades
Vararam B1 CAI
ZO6 Cat back exhaust
Z06 C6 Shocks
Z06 sway bars
Metal end links
Catch Can
Chuck COW tune

<For a MANUAL>
LMC5 Module
CAGS defeat
Anti Venom mod
Z06 C6 shifter n box
Modified Ranger method
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

If you bought the car to modify, then by all means do whatever you want and can afford. Otherwise, I agree with those who consider the car perfected as designed, engineered and delivered to the dealership. While waiting to get your car out of winter storage, check in on this forum from time to time and pay attention to the posts of members who are dealing with problems. You may discover that many of the issues people are having are sourced in past modifications and "upgrades." Why gild the lily?

My higher miles '01 had some issues that I needed/wanted to deal with right off the bat- such that I spent a bit over $3,000 in the first year of ownership and not a single dime spent on a "modification." Rather on a new convertible top, new tires ($2,000 of that was for top and tires), new seat cushion, brakes, plugs/wires and etc. Drive the car first, consider your budget and take care of the essentials, would be my advice. You, like me, might find that the least important thing in the car is the stereo system; because the (stock) exhaust, and the throb of the (stock) LS1 under the hood, is music enough.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Welcome and congrats on not only joining the forum, but also on purchasing your C5. The C5 is a great car and hopefully will give you years of enjoyment.

As for a first mod to the car, many go with new wheels or an aftermarket exhaust system.

For a 2000, a couple of things that should be considered right away are the LMC5 (regardless of Auto or manual) and if a manual tranny, the CAGS skip shift eliminator.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (02-25-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Vettestang1978
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys, everybody has been so welcoming here and cool, will show some pictures and give as much detail in the car when I get it, it's going to be a long rest of the winter waiting patiently
Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Congrats on the "new" sled...
Your in the right place to keep your C5 in tip top condition...
Upgrades
Vararam B1 CAI
ZO6 Cat back exhaust
Z06 C6 Shocks
Z06 sway bars
Metal end links
Catch Can
Chuck COW tune

<For a MANUAL>
LMC5 Module
CAGS defeat
Anti Venom mod
Z06 C6 shifter n box
Modified Ranger method
Thank you! Hope you enjoy it!

After all that.... it's now time for the 4.10s!!!

Chuck CoW
Old 02-22-2019, 02:26 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Vettestang1978
Did you ask him if he was using special Corvette tools to charge you more?
Old 02-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Vettestang1978
Heel & Toe

Hello guys I will definitely be posting some pictures i believe the colour is called light metalic pewter, also has the anodized rims which I was told was an expensive option I'm going to enjoy it before I do any upgrades but will definitely post some pictures

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie

Old 02-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Sean_emory
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts

I would simply make sure the tires, brakes, alignment, and shocks are all sorted. After that, detail the car and maybe do an at home ceramic coating. I was able to ceramic coat my car for about $50 myself.

It’s now ready to enjoy. I’m sure you won’t have trouble finding $$ to spend on mods as time goes by.

Last edited by Sean_emory; 02-24-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:11 AM
caddman11
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Just drive it and go from there. With 5 kids you should be happy having one. I waited till my kids were out on their own after college. You'll always find something that needs your attention, that should keep you busy for a while.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

The first thing you may want to do is install or have someone install a LMC5 or Column Lock Bypass if it's not already been done. Do not let the dealer perform the column lock recall, they will only cause more problems.

I have installed both on different cars and it was not difficult;

http://complianceparts.com/lmc5install.html

You mentioned that the maintenance is up to date but for future reference here are some links for performing many of the maintenance items yourself. This is the best DIY info website for many maintenance items: http://www.toquez06.com/z06index.html and http://www.97vette.com/

Here are the lifting & jacking locations:

You should always use jacking pucks when lifting from the frame contact hoist locations if you don't have frame rail protection.

Jacking Pucks: https://www.corvettepartsandaccessor...-jacking-pucks

Lifting without pucks. :

http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php

I use the following 2 low profile jacks; one Larin 2-ton aluminum jack and one Harbor Freight 1.5-ton aluminum jack.

I installed frame rails with built in pads from Elite Engineering:
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...nd-mtg-screws/

For oil changes I use a set of 57" 2-piece Race Ramps and drive the front wheels up on them while driving the rear wheels onto Trax Jax when I perform oil changes.

Then I lift the rear of the car up under the rear cradle with a low profile jack supporting and protecting the cradle with a 4x8 piece of wood so the weight is dispersed evenly across and there is no metal to metal contact. You only need to raise the rear of the car slightly higher than the front to completely drain out the oil. I make sure to place chocks at the rear of the front tires on the ramps.

You can use one of these under the cradle in place of wood: http://www.harborfreight.com/steel-f...eam-60762.html

Here are some links to oil changes:

http://www.97vette.com/howto/carlift/index.html

http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php

http://www.toquez06.com/oil.html

If the coolant was recently changed you are good for 3 years.

Absolutely change the brake fluid, especially if it appears dark in the reservoir. You should change the clutch fluid if it appears dark in the reservoir, however you will have to do a search for the Ranger Method. I have used the Ranger method but in the end needed to replace my clutch master cylinder.

Air filter change is simple on a stock intake, just unsnap the 2 handles at each end, lift and carefully remove and install the new filter.

If the belts are original I suggest replacing them. Make sure to get the correct part number belt for your car.

You should check the sway bar end links and bushings. If they are the original plastic end links that came on the 2000 Corvette then they are probably shot and should be replaced with the oem C6 metal end links.

Make sure that the drainage udders are free of debris. Here is a good thread with plenty of links: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-udders.html

You may want to replace yourspark plugs and wires. I replaced my plugs and wires with my header install and it was a breeze but it will be a PITA on a stock car with exhaust manifolds in place. If you are planning on headers, wait until then.

Replacing rear diff fluid: http://www.toquez06.com/diff.html

Manual trans fluid change: http://www.toquez06.com/tranny.html

Congrats on your C5 and welcome.

Quick Reply: Newbie