C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:16 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Random Misfire

Just wanted to share this with my fellow corvette owners now that I have finally figured out what was triggering a random misfire code in my 2012 Grandsport.

Here is the short version of the story -- Had a random misfire code and a flashing MIL whenever I accelerated. when I came to a stop the MIL would go off. Engine RPMs at idle remained constant and seemed to have no loss in power. When placed on a scope, it seemed like all 8 cylinders were registering a misfire. Did a load compression check and everything checked out fine. Swapped plugs, coil packs and a had a ECU loaned to me -- still the same. I was stumped and about ready to put a piece of tape over the MIL when I stumbled onto the root cause of the issue by accident....

My torque tube had about 4 inches of play on the back end. Basically what I could determine it was failing and causing a vibration which was triggering my knock sensor. Once I replace the torque tube … no more issue. I would have never guessed that this would have been the root cause of all my issues. sometimes it is better to be lucky than good...lol
The following 6 users liked this post by C6topless:
kperez (02-22-2019), Landru (02-22-2019), ontime (02-22-2019), TCW (02-22-2019), Vet Interested (02-23-2019), wjnjr (02-23-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:28 AM
maaxx
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi C6topless

thx for that. I've been having an issue for 2 years now. Tried lots of stuf ( MAP sensor, spark plugs, etc)... As soon as snow is melted, i will definetly try that one. I'm not sure where and what the tube looks like, but i still have time to check it out.

Hope that helps my issue too. I will let you know.

Thx

Marc
Old 02-23-2019, 12:20 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
Just wanted to share this with my fellow corvette owners now that I have finally figured out what was triggering a random misfire code in my 2012 Grandsport.

Here is the short version of the story -- Had a random misfire code and a flashing MIL whenever I accelerated. when I came to a stop the MIL would go off. Engine RPMs at idle remained constant and seemed to have no loss in power. When placed on a scope, it seemed like all 8 cylinders were registering a misfire. Did a load compression check and everything checked out fine. Swapped plugs, coil packs and a had a ECU loaned to me -- still the same. I was stumped and about ready to put a piece of tape over the MIL when I stumbled onto the root cause of the issue by accident....

My torque tube had about 4 inches of play on the back end. Basically what I could determine it was failing and causing a vibration which was triggering my knock sensor. Once I replace the torque tube … no more issue. I would have never guessed that this would have been the root cause of all my issues. sometimes it is better to be lucky than good...lol
C6topless: I'm trying to figure out how the torque tube had 4" of play at the tranny because it is secured with six bolts (I think) I have a bad rattle on my 08 and it seems like it is a bearing or on the drive shaft which is inside the torque tube I'm gonna buy the drive shaft and have a shop replace it because the complete rear has to be dropped...Glad that fix your problem tho.

Get notified of new replies

To Random Misfire

Quick Reply: Random Misfire