C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat restarted "rocking" after the repair? Where to look now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:21 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Received 627 Likes on 317 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Seat restarted "rocking" after the repair? Where to look now?

Hello,
is used a kit to repair my rocking seat. All went fine. after another 50km it starts to move again. I shortly took the seat out for track inspection and there is no motion of the track which means the repair works...but then where is this movement of the seat coming?
any ideas welcome.
TCFS

Last edited by TCFS; 03-17-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,118 Likes on 1,926 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would like to hear more about this as well. My low mileage seat recently started rocking as well. I have the repair washers for the tracks but have not installed them yet as I am not confident it's going to accomplish the fix.

If I understand correctly the washers take up space in the gearbox from deteriorated factory parts preventing the seat from moving back and forth horizontally with the track. I get that. The feeling I am getting with my drivers seat is not a back and fourth on the track it is in fact rocking like a rocking chair. Like there is wear between the fixed track and sliding track.

Hoping your thread brings out more info.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:33 PM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Hi,
the repair was necessary since the rubber spacers were completely gone. Though, this solved a back-to-front motion on the tracks. My tracks are fine, I cannot find a loose part. It looks like the driver seats back brackets attaching the mechanism to the tracks have been repaired, and they look solid.
it can be several things, in my first understanding of the seat, the lifting mechanism or more simple the attachments of the seats frame to the mechanisms.
obviously, I will have to take the seat off the car to check where is the unexpected loose end.
TCFS
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I went through the same scenario, with my '01 coupe....replaced the rubber insulators of the tracks, with the Teflon pieces. That was good for a few years, but then the seat started rocking again. I bought the "kits" from C&S Corvette parts, last year, and so far, so good.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:16 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
...If I understand correctly the washers take up space in the gearbox from deteriorated factory parts preventing the seat from moving back and forth horizontally with the track. I get that. The feeling I am getting with my drivers seat is not a back and fourth on the track it is in fact rocking like a rocking chair. Like there is wear between the fixed track and sliding track...
Like you said, there are 2 possibilities:

Sliding seat:

Rocking seat:

Besides the problem with the shims (sliding seat), there is also the possibility of 1 or 2 flanges at the rear of the seat track being bent or broken (rocking seat).

This video explains in a very detailed way the replacement process of both, shims and flanges.
The following 2 users liked this post by GCG:
Mr. Black (03-17-2019), oldspeedr (05-11-2022)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:01 PM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Ok

i took the seat out of the car.

before this, in my driving position, rear down max, front up max --> there is motion. Before taking the seat out of the car I lifted the rear up to the max to ensure I have room to work on the table....surprise, not motion anymore....once on the kitchen table.

question: is there a way to power the seat on my table (I have a 12V continuous power supply) without risk for the seat module. I mean, is it ok to plug 12V directly to the main connector and try to lower the rear of the seat, without risking to burn anything?

has anyone done it before? I would hate to burn anything by trying to power the seat, and the car is 500m away... in the garage...so not so easy to just plug back.

thank you in advance to share your experience.

TCFS

Old 03-22-2019, 04:25 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TCFS
...before this, in my driving position, rear down max, front up max --> there is motion... ...I lifted the rear up to the max to ensure I have room to work on the table....surprise, not motion anymore....once on the kitchen table. ...
If your motion is associated with the up and down mechanisms, there is a 3rd component in addition to the shims and flanges, that may need replacement: the clevises (2 per seat).

Last edited by GCG; 03-22-2019 at 04:48 PM.
TCFS (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 PM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GCG
If your motion is associated with the up and down mechanisms, there is a 3rd component in addition to the shims and flanges, that may need replacement: the clevises (2 per seat).
they look in perfect shape, no cracks or wear visible. As soon as I can pilot the seat on the table to lower the rear of the seat, I will discover where is the parasite motion.
TCFS
Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

they look in perfect shape, no cracks or wear visible. As soon as I can pilot the seat on the table to lower the rear of the seat, I will discover where is the parasite motion.
TCFS
Please, let us know your findings. In the meantime, take a look at this Thread for some ideas. It seems very similar to your problem.

Play was found in the circled areas of the up/down mechanisms:

TCFS (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Default Culprit found

Hi,
placed the seat back in the car to put it in position. I had my "walk of shame" with my trolley in the neighborhood ...
then in place it back on my trolley, tightened it and filmed the underneath carriage and play.
i found the culprit, and I don't think we can do much about it. It is the transfer case from the motor to the clevis screw. The gear or bushing of the transfer case is moving 1/2mm. The bracket holding the cases and motors is riveted in the track. Beside dismantling the full seat and trying to find new gear on the market, I decided I will live with it.
Here a short video showing the issue.

i did press in the 2shafts which hold the transfer cases to the brackets.

Thanks for your help.
TCFS
Old School (05-12-2022)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Here a short video showing the issue.
https://youtu.be/qG9gWhmzXa8

TCFS
Good video! I have one question, based on curiosity.....is your car a stick shift or an automatic? I'm beginning to formulate a theory that stick shift drivers put a lot of additional strain on the seat, as they push the clutch in an out, and apparently this wasn't taken into consideration, when the seat mechanism was designed.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Automatic transmission...
Old 03-23-2019, 01:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Automatic transmission...
OK, so much for my "scientific theory"...

Old 05-11-2022, 11:24 AM
MrFromage
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a fantastic demonstration with exactly what's wrong with my C5 seat. There is so much play in there, the front lifts so much. Are we just under the conclusion that these seats are junk? I can't believe my fat *** is held up by two rivets holding a single piece of aluminum. I had to resurrect this thread because I have been scouring for someone with the problem and finally found it (I do not have the track rubber bushing problem, I have this up down problem).

I have though of disconnecting the up/down adjuster cable and doing some ghetto clamps and bolts solution to make it rigid.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:45 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFromage
This is a fantastic demonstration with exactly what's wrong with my C5 seat. There is so much play in there, the front lifts so much. Are we just under the conclusion that these seats are junk? I can't believe my fat *** is held up by two rivets holding a single piece of aluminum. I had to resurrect this thread because I have been scouring for someone with the problem and finally found it (I do not have the track rubber bushing problem, I have this up down problem).

I have though of disconnecting the up/down adjuster cable and doing some ghetto clamps and bolts solution to make it rigid.
This is 'sort of' repairable. The back side of worm gear transmission piece (whatever you want to call it) can be unscrewed and the gear can be shimmed. The problem is getting the transmission piece out to disassemble it isn't easy.
You will need to disassemble the seat track and drill out the two rivets holding the front and rear transmission bracket in place. From there you can remove the pin that holds the transmission to the bracket and you will have enough room to pop the cover off. If GM had just put those pins in from the other direction it would be easy to remove.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:30 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrFromage

happy it helps.
my car has 125kmiles and a crash…I can’t say the seats are ****…🙁
i can only say it is difficult to repair…due to the motors are riveted to the seat frame.
i guess you can do has mentioned above.
TCFS

Get notified of new replies

To Seat restarted "rocking" after the repair? Where to look now?

Quick Reply: Seat restarted "rocking" after the repair? Where to look now?