C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground down lifters help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:59 PM
82ndABN-C3
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ground down lifters help!!

Hello to everyone and thanks for reading. I’ve been having issues with my 72 and lifters . Been having a constant chatter and with losing power. Took the valve covers off and intake manifold to discover this. Looks like the lifter was ground down . Just curious if I could be a cam issue and should I at least pull the heads to check them as well. Any advice or guidance would be great appreciated.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 82ndABN-C3
Hello to everyone and thanks for reading. I’ve been having issues with my 72 and lifters . Been having a constant chatter and with losing power. Took the valve covers off and intake manifold to discover this. Looks like the lifter was ground down . Just curious if I could be a cam issue and should I at least pull the heads to check them as well. Any advice or guidance would be great appreciated.

Well, your cam is toast, and all that metal is in the bottom of the pan. AT THE VERY LEAST, you have to change the cam and lifters. If it's high millage, I would pull the whole thing.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

what engine. what are you using for oil.

stock or modified.. Oil pressure and mileage.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:26 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

yup, its cam kit time.
you will be amazed at the new power your car will have.
install with the proper install lube and break in oil. and use zinc oil.....
Old 03-17-2019, 04:36 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Another one bites the dust. Another misfortune from lack of knowledge about Zinc. And yet there are some individuals that still deny this happens from store bought shelf oils.

Sorry for your loss. Couldn't have happened in the fall with lots of time to rebuild.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:41 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd pull the engine. Not worth the chance of metal in the bearings, oil pump, oil passages, etc. I use Mobil 1 10w-30 with a bottle of ZDDP Plus. Also follow proper cam break in procedures.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:01 PM
82ndABN-C3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
what engine. what are you using for oil.

stock or modified.. Oil pressure and mileage.
Its 454 car not sure on what all had be done to it before I got it. I’ve only had it about 8 months. All I do know is that it has Comp Cams rocker arms with 1.72 ratio . As far as anything else I’m still diving into the motor . Sucks that this happened just before summer

Last edited by 82ndABN-C3; 03-17-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Add
Old 03-17-2019, 05:47 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3X2
I'd pull the engine. Not worth the chance of metal in the bearings, oil pump, oil passages, etc. I use Mobil 1 10w-30 with a bottle of ZDDP Plus. Also follow proper cam break in procedures.
Its already in the bearings, oil pump, etc. It took months for this to happen if not over a year. That's a lot of metal missing assuming all 16 lifters look like that, and likely ran like crap for a year also.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-17-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Well, your cam is toast, and all that metal is in the bottom of the pan. AT THE VERY LEAST, you have to change the cam and lifters. If it's high millage, I would pull the whole thing.

Its 454 car not sure on what all had be done to it before I got it. I’ve only had it about 8 months. All I do know is that it has Comp Cams rocker arms with 1.72 ratio . As far as anything else I’m still diving into the motor . Sucks that this happened just before summer
agree what Big2Bird says ... 1.72 essentially stock ratio. Sure it sucks ... but better now than if it puked on vacation cruising at Kitty Hawk.

If the car's a keeper ... and it's budgeted for ... now's the time for a Roller cam-lifter retrofit.

-edit- OP, I don't know anyone at Fayetteville to help. But I do know someone just south at Dillon-Latta who might can. Also, great auto machine shop at Conway SC ... Dennis Jordan Performance.

Last edited by jackson; 03-17-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 PM
82ndABN-C3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Its already in the bearings, oil pump, etc. It took months for this to happen if not over a year. That's a lot of metal missing assuming all 16 lifters look like that, and likely ran like crap for a year also.
Nope that is the only one that looks like that which I surprised to find .
Old 03-17-2019, 07:23 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

Time for a rebuild. I would pull the motor and rebuild it. Looks like an oil issue on the rocker - maybe from the lifter Failing.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:41 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Make sure all the galley passages are opened and cleaned. It's really more work cleaning the block than anything else.riffle brushes are your friend.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:43 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Ok, one lifter. Could be a reject from a poor source of auto parts. Could be oil galley that feeds that lifter is plugged.

Before you pull the engine, consider pulling the oil pan, front cover, timing chain set, cam. Remove one or two connecting rod caps and check the bearing surface.
If its bad, you know what you have to do next.

However, if its unscathed, you could pour / flush a couple of Qts of cheap oil over the valvespring area, all through the lifter valley, with the oil pan reattached with a few bolts. Then remove the pan again and clean really well. That should remove 90% of any metal. Figure in a new oil-pump & screen pickup for certain. Add a oil pan magnet on the outside.

But its up to you. Only you know your budget and how far you want to go with this. Your bearings will determine your fate. Hopefully the old oil filter has been catching the metal all along.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-17-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts

For what it's worth. The damage is done but if it is only one lifter I would roll the dice. I've had this happen 3 times on 3 different engines before I figured it out. Google ZDDP + flat cam. Crack open a cold one and do lots of reading. Now back to what I was saying. Compression check the engine. If good get a new flat tappet cam and kit to match old cam lift so your springs and piston to valve clearance will be ok. (I don't deny roller is better but bear with me). Clean pan and timing cover and wipe down everything you can to clean out metal. Get a new oil bypass filter adapter. Change cam and timing set. Can be done with engine in car. Get a good cam core not an offshore one. Put together with lots of break in lube break-in oil with high zinc oil. If engine has dual springs remove inner valve spring for breakin. Break in new cam at 2500 rpm for 25 minutes. Do not shut off or idle during breakin. Immediately change oil again. More high zinc oil. It may buy you a year or more with current engine and get you to next year or allow for an engine build while driving the car this season. You really don't have much to lose except cost of cam and kit if you can do the work yourself and you may get lucky. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

As long as that's been eating that one lifter, I'd suspect it's not the ONLY one, and there is going to be metal everywhere. I'd bet the filter didn't catch all of it. I did my 69 BB a year ago- but I went the long way around, Found a good used 4 bolt block and built a 496 with all forged lower end and a big stack of new parts. Not to mention a big pile of toad pelts that went away getting said parts.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you are taking a shot at it you could do the stuff previously mentioned then put a few quarts of oil in the pan and run a priming tool to circulate oil through the passages.maybe even put some magnets in the pan and different places to catch some shavings. I've never done that before but it may be worth a try.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Gunfighter13
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Looks like a good time to go to a Hydraulic Roller Camshaft

Get notified of new replies

To Ground down lifters help!!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5311
For what it's worth. The damage is done but if it is only one lifter I would roll the dice. I've had this happen 3 times on 3 different engines before I figured it out. Google ZDDP + flat cam. Crack open a cold one and do lots of reading. Now back to what I was saying. Compression check the engine. If good get a new flat tappet cam and kit to match old cam lift so your springs and piston to valve clearance will be ok. (I don't deny roller is better but bear with me). Clean pan and timing cover and wipe down everything you can to clean out metal. Get a new oil bypass filter adapter. Change cam and timing set. Can be done with engine in car. Get a good cam core not an offshore one. Put together with lots of break in lube break-in oil with high zinc oil. If engine has dual springs remove inner valve spring for breakin. Break in new cam at 2500 rpm for 25 minutes. Do not shut off or idle during breakin. Immediately change oil again. More high zinc oil. It may buy you a year or more with current engine and get you to next year or allow for an engine build while driving the car this season. You really don't have much to lose except cost of cam and kit if you can do the work yourself and you may get lucky. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck
I've pretty much done this with 2 cars now. Engines ran flawlessly for years afterward. You can always rebuild the engine later if needed but you probably won't need to.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

priming tool. run priming tool with the bad lifter removed. shine light down lifter hole. see if you have oil flow. but you do. that oil filter is there for a reason. new cam and lifters. can you say roller lifters? oil pump and pick up.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

If you don't tear it all the way down to clean out EVERYTHING....like pull cam bearings, flush all passages etc....at least block off the oil pump bypass so all oil goes through the filter.

JIM

Quick Reply: Ground down lifters help!!