Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing a Kenwood DNX575S head unit in my 2011 GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Installing a Kenwood DNX575S head unit in my 2011 GS

I have a 2011 GS with with the standard non-Bose radio and no Nav.

I still am using the stock non-Bose HU, but I have already installed new high quality speakers to include a sub in the rear cubby ... These speakers are powered by a 5-channel 'Arc Audio' XDi805 amp.

I have just ordered a new 'Kenwood' DNX575S A/V receiver head unit with built-in 'Garmin' Navigation to replace my stock non-Bose HU.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/KENWOOD-D...eady/706566691

I also ordered the 'PAC' RP5-GM11 interface and a 'Metra' 95-3304 2005-2013 GM Double-Din Multi Kit. I guess this is everything that I would need to replace this HU.

My question is .... How big of a job is it for me to do this on my GS?

Geek Squad charges $100 in labor just to replace a HU .... If this job is not too difficult, I could save the 100 bucks by doing it myself.

Thanks,
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

BTW .... I really did not need a HU like the Kenwood DNX575S that has an exposed CD slot.

In fact, I didn't even need CD or DVD capability, but, all Kenwood head units that have Garmin GPS Nav also have the CD / DVD slot ... So, I had no choice.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 AM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Not to difficult at all I just finished installing the Kenwood DDX9905S in my 2007 Bose with NAV. I also added front and rear backup cameras. Great mod, nice upgrade and sound.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

crusher1 .....

I was going to purchase the DDX9905S like you have, but then I noticed that Garmin GPS in that unit is optional.

I still like that DDX9905S HU ... What item did you need to buy for it to get the Garmin Nav? ... How much extra did that cost?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-18-2019, 10:15 AM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Nothing, With Apple Car play you have Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze APPS for GPS...Works great. Thats why I didnt go with a unit with GPS already bulit in
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Really consider adding front and rear cameras while you are at it. MGW you tube video is really good to watch. It will show how to take apart the console.. If you have a manual transmission may as well install a MGW while you have it apart too.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm considering this deck for my GMC Sierra. Except I'm getting the built in GPS. I cannot stand carplay. It's annoying....
Old 03-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I just called Geek Squad about installing this Kenwood DNX575S with built-in Garmin GPS head unit in my 2011 GS (now has the standard non-Bose radio without Nav)

I asked them where the GPS antenna gets mounted ... The guy said either on top of the dash or under the dash (if there is no metal to interfere with the GPS reception).

1. Anyone know if this antenna can be installed somewhere other than on top of the dash?

Also the guy said some of these cars have a metal support that needs to be cut out in order to install this head unit (adds $25 to the cost of installation)

2. Has anyone ever heard of that before?

Lastly, the guy said it would take about 3 hours to do this.

3. Really take that long?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-19-2019, 05:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Ron, the GPS antenna gets installed under the dash. Either right on top of the head unit or I mounted mine on top of the vent above the head unit but still under the dash. As for your second question, there is no need to cut any metal support.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:49 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA

1. Anyone know if this antenna can be installed somewhere other than on top of the dash?

It needs to be somewhere that has a clear shot to the sky. I confirmed the other day though that it does work under a dash cover.

Also the guy said some of these cars have a metal support that needs to be cut out in order to install this head unit (adds $25 to the cost of installation)

2. Has anyone ever heard of that before?

MAYBE, it depends on which deck you get. But on GM trucks you most certainly have to trim the dash behind the stereo. I know this for a fact. Although on the trucks the material you have to trim is plastic not metal. Not sure about Corvettes but it would not surprise me.

Lastly, the guy said it would take about 3 hours to do this.

3. Really take that long?

YES

Thanks,
Ron
If your not experienced at installing radios I would not attempt it yourself. I've done several and a 100 bucks is a bargain. But those guys do it day in and day out they can do it faster than most. I'll say it can take you all weekend, assuming you are also installing an amp. Or all day if just the stereo. I guess you have to ask yourself is my Saturday worth $100 savings? Even though I can tackle this job as I have done several, I'd gladly pay a 100 bucks provided the guy is good and has good reviews.

Last edited by htown81vette; 03-20-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

By the way I wouldn't let geek squad do it, just my opinion. I'd find a good reputable stereo shop that has good reviews and see if they will do it for $100 bucks or so. Even if it were $150 I'd still do it, save yourself some heart ache.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM
mecha
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed a Kenwood HU this past summer in my C6 Z06 with the same exact integration unit and double din kit (believe all the wiring and pulling the console apart is the same for the GS). If you've done this type of thing before, I'd suggest trying it yourself. No one will care about the install/car more than you will.

All of the wiring is pretty straight forward, match the colors for the most part and if you don't have a wire off the HU that matches with the PAC unit, you can leave it hanging off the PAC unit. There's quite a few threads on this forum covering this as well as blowing the console apart in detail. I broke the install into 2 parts. I spent one evening doing all the wiring which took a couple hours to get it the way I liked it. The next day I did the install. That only took another hour or so since it's just a matter of blowing the console apart and putting it all back together again. Once the harness is all wired up, everything is plug and play.
Also, as Calloway DrDon mentioned, if you plan to add a reverse cam and/or dash cam, now is the time to at the very least get the wiring all prepped behind the HU so you won't have to open it all back up in the future. As for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, you may want to look into one of these to replace the lighter and give you a clean way to hook the phone up to the HU without a bunch of wires hanging. I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C75L5V3/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C75L5V3/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
. One thing to mention, the 6ft cables is way overkill, so try to find one that's shorter, otherwise, it works great.

This forum thread was a huge help for me planning out the job as well. Tons of great info:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-write-up.html

If you're not comfortable with the install, I agree with htown81vette. Best Buy is probably the last place I'd take the car to get work done. Try to find a shop that specializes in car audio. Paying more for quality is better than having someone butcher your car on the cheap.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (03-20-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mecha

As for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, you may want to look into one of these to replace the lighter and give you a clean way to hook the phone up to the HU without a bunch of wires hanging.

I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
Thanks for the info about the USB ...

Instead of removing the lighter (next to the ash tray) on the front panel and installing the USB there, I thought about just installing it in one of those holes in the front part of the center console / arm rest (under the center console cover lid).

Also, looking at that link you provided, they sell that USB socket in two styles ... One with a standard single USB port and one that has both a standard USB and a Micro USB port ... But, looking at my new receiver, I see that it only has one standard USB connection on the back of the unit. In fact, the specs only mention one too, and don't even mention Micro USB, so, I guess all I need is the standard single USB socket (not that dual socket)

Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-21-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a Kenwood DNX575S head unit in my 2011 GS

Quick Reply: Installing a Kenwood DNX575S head unit in my 2011 GS