Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: Help with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM
wpschroed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with questions

Corvette friends
Pease read and advise what I should look for on Wednesday when I view this 57 Corvette? Thanks in advance.. And how much is it worth????

The info below is from the seller looks as it was his Fathers car. He now selling it as is.

One Owner, One Driver 1957 Chevrolet Corvette, in its original Onyx Black paint. 283 single 4 barrel 3 speed transmission. My father bought this new. He ordered it in April 1957 and it didn’t arrive to Randolph Chevrolet, in Camden, NJ until September 1957. after a summer GM strike. My father actually picked his Corvette up, when the train brought it in to Philadelphia. Then he drove it in for dealer prep. The only options he ordered were heat and wide white wall tires with full wheel covers. It is a radio delete car.
This Corvette has been garage kept from new. Always driven with love, never raced and well maintained. It turned 100k when he had to stop driving. I got to drive him in it only then, when I was 50. Clear, original 1957 New Jersey Title. $60,000.00 serial # 6101

Last edited by wpschroed; 03-19-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

60k is a little stout for the condition and it’s a base motor 3 speed. Unless you like the look of an original car, it’s going to take a lot of money to get make it nice. It needs a lot and we haven’t seen the engine bay. It needs paint, correct seat covers, soft top, tires, etc. I’m thinking around 45k tops.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I have seen many vettes like this. The first thing I would do arrange with the seller to take the vette to a shop that has a lift .
Frankly the frame brakes steering the whole belly needs to be looked at. You would be surprised how much it can cost to repair
what you can't see. Probably the engine will need a rebuild and so will the tranny and rear. Pull the dip stick after the engine
has run and smell for any odder other than oil.The body will need a paint job and check the sides for waving ( note in 57
the factory tolerances for straight glass was a lot easier than today. You could spend 5 to 7k on a paint job. I see the
interior needs attention another cost. The price is 60k , the #2 condition now is 64k. What is a number 2??
Well restored showing min. wear could be confused at a distance for a #1 Excellent which means a 95 point car that is
never driven only hauled in a enclosed trailer to shows. (Old Cars Price Report) After your inspection if you are still
interested I would do some serious bargaining.
Good luck
Old 03-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

It's a one owner? Your father? So you're buying it from him?

Since you must know it's history, you'll know what to look hardest at. The paint is original? And everything else (other than seat covers)? If that's original paint and you buy the car, you should try to save the paint if you can stand the imperfections. Sometimes old paint can be livened up, and there are not too many original paint '57's around. If it's not been hit, the next concern is whether the frame is rusty. The rear third of the frame is always the worst. Make sure the VIN plate is in the driver's door jamb.

I agree with what's been said. The price seems a little high given it's apparent condition. But the sentimental value to you is probably even higher.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:22 PM
wpschroed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is not my car was adverised yesterday on a Corveyye blog. This is the description from the son. I am looking for a one owner tyoe car unmolested I thought maybe this would be it. I am in new Jersey so I wnated some advice on what to look out for. I have not owned a 57 sine a was 24 years old many man y moons ago.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Kent in KC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might just be an optical illusion but it looks like the coves have been covered in some kind of reflective material (not paint)? Have to agree that $60K is way too strong for this car in this condition. Unless you're up for a complete restoration I'd keep looking.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

2 threads unnecessary. This is the sales classified, so Ill leave your discussion thread open in the discussion area.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with questions

Quick Reply: FS: Help with questions