Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you believe there will be a new generation FE alongside the ME?
Yes
17.99%
No
82.01%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe there will be a new generation FE alongside the ME?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Do you believe there will be a new generation FE alongside the ME?

I'm not buying it personally, but there seems to be a group that feels strongly there will be both a FE and ME simultaneously. Let's see some numbers with votes, and this only applies to next gen, as I do think it's a plausible idea down the road but not anytime soon.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

How many threads do we need? I say NO FE for now...
Old 03-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

No. The C8 will replace the C7. That’s the way it works. 7 replaced, 6, 6 replaced 5, 5 replaced 4... And, the C8 is the ME we see running around in camo.

All of the engineering dollars are committed to the ME, and I see no scenario in which Chevrolet would invest in both the new and old platforms while GM is moving forward with new technologies like EV and autonomous vehicles. Also, there have been no rumors or sightings of FE mules running around, which there would be if Chevrolet was creating the 7.5 with DCT, coil over shocks, and even the C8 interior that some on here are imagining.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red67John:
jefnvk (03-25-2019), mre1974 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Not going to happen.

The only scenario that could possibly exist along these lines is that the C7 continues in production alongside the C8, but I HIGHLY doubt that will occur.

There's no precedent, has 2 generations of the Corvette EVER been produced simultaneously?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
No. The C8 will replace the C7. That’s the way it works. 7 replaced, 6, 6 replaced 5, 5 replaced 4... And, the C8 is the ME we see running around in camo.

All of the engineering dollars are committed to the ME, and I see no scenario in which Chevrolet would invest in both the new and old platforms while GM is moving forward with new technologies like EV and autonomous vehicles. Also, there have been no rumors or sightings of FE mules running around, which there would be if Chevrolet was creating the 7.5 with DCT, coil over shocks, and even the C8 interior that some on here are imagining.
If there are C7.5 mules running around with coil overs, a DCT and a LT2, but still sporting C7 body panels, how would you know it's a C7.5 mule and not a normal C7? None of those items are apparent by just seeing one driving around. Absolutely nothing to make you think you are not seeing a stock C7.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
How many threads do we need? I say NO FE for now...

I just thought it'd be interesting to see how many people actually believe it since it's discussed so often lol. Not surprised by the results so far.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Good point, you are correct. However, if they intended spend the money to revamp the C7 FE to sell next to the C8 ME, I would expect that Chevy would make more significant changes than just the chassis and drivetrain. It seems like something would have leaked out by now in some fashion.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:06 PM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

I've got to think part of GM's incurring the cost of the ME design is signaling about being modern / cutting-edge, appealing to a different demographic, etc. Running a FE design alongside that would undercut the message while cannibalizing sales. Not to mention, the C7.5 mule-in-C7-clothes theory is plausible but we've seen zero cladding; C5 to C6 wasn't dramatically different structurally and there were mules all over. I'd put good money on no...
Old 03-24-2019, 11:12 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

I still hope if it is, it is a mid-$20k turbo-4 BRZ/Miata killer. It'd be nice to have a modern "Corvette" for younger folks like me who don't want to dunk our entire disposable income on a toy car who aren't yet to the "not blinking at a $100k pricetag" income level
Old 03-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Buddhaman
Pro

Received 490 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I still hope if it is, it is a mid-$20k turbo-4 BRZ/Miata killer. It'd be nice to have a modern "Corvette" for younger folks like me who don't want to dunk our entire disposable income on a toy car who aren't yet to the "not blinking at a $100k pricetag" income level
I wish there was a more affordable 2 seater from GM. Remember the Solstice/Sky? I’m guessing they assume we’d settle on a Camaro since the backseat is worthless anyway.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by supermetroid
I just thought it'd be interesting to see how many people actually believe it since it's discussed so often lol. Not surprised by the results so far.

By now, it's just stupid to even post such a silly thread.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:29 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,953 Likes on 1,208 Posts

If they built a modern version of the Fiero, I would buy one as a cheap track car...
jefnvk (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 04:08 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
If they built a modern version of the Fiero, I would buy one as a cheap track car...
Isn't that what the C8 is going to be? Sorry I couldn't resist
Old 03-25-2019, 06:11 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm resigning myself to the fact that GM is going to kill the car that has been an American icon just to make some european exotic wannabe, and we're seeing the end of automotive history. I don't see the Corvette being around after the C8.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

See it's only 10% (as of this post) that think GM, with all the things they have to worry about, is going to waste money, time and engineering resources messing with keeping a FE Corvette with an old technology, large cid engine in the face of the fast moving car world going (unfortunately) to EVs!

There will be several variants of the C8 and some including what an "insider" Andy Pilgrim "purposely leaked," i.e. a variant will have an electric motor/generator hybrid driving the front wheels. As I suspect, since others are going in that direction, it will be a short duration system with a light weight battery. That will also recover some of the 1/3 energy that even gets to the rear wheels that is wasted braking! One may include a smaller ICE with a turbo to use some of the ~30 energy wasted going out the exhaust.

Some don't care about mpg (including me) BUT it's GM meeting a corporate mpg goal. They worry much more about the 585,000 Silverado's sold in 2018 than spending money screwing around with a FE Corvette!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-25-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Although I don't see anything close to a ~$25,000 price point, one variant could be in that car class! They could introduce a C8 model with the Silverado's 2.7 Liter double overhead cam, 4 valve/cylinder turbo with it's 310 hp and that Andy Pilgrim announced FWD electric motor/generator hybrid!

Might be able to get what some of us would like, a lighter weight Vette! Loved my modified '67 Corvair (14 inch wide tires, headers etc) as well as my Datsun 260Z. Both weighed ~2500 lbs! Can't get to that weight but sure could get closer than a heavy C8!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-25-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Although I don't see anything close to a ~$25,000 price point, one variant could be in that car class! They could introduce a C8 model with the Silverado's 2.7 Liter double overhead cam, 4 valve/cylinder turbo with it's 310 hp and that Andy Pilgrim announced FWD electric motor/generator hybrid!

Might be able to get what some of us would like, a lighter weight Vette! Loved my modified '67 Corvair (14 inch wide tires, headers etc) as well as my Datsun 260Z. Both weighed ~2500 lbs! Can't get to that weight but sure could get closer than a heavy C8!
I'd love to see GM have another try at an American Miata like the Solstice, but that's not what a C8 + I4 turbo would be since it would still carry a structure engineered for over 500 horsepower/torque.

Unfortunately the days of automakers selling multiple lines of affordable sport coupes are gone. We'll be lucky to see another Camaro generation. The problem isn't EVs - electric motors are fantastic street motors with gobs of low end torque - the problem is that fat Americans, bad roads, and a shrinking middle class have conspired to drive demand of SUVs in lieu of less practical sports cars.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 03-25-2019 at 08:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zaro Tundov:
ErrrrCar205 (03-25-2019), John T (03-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Do you believe there will be a new generation FE alongside the ME?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
I'd love to see GM have another try at an American Miata like the Solstice, but that's not what a C8 + I4 turbo would be since it would still carry a structure engineered for over 500 horsepower/torque.

GM is not going to make a new light weight frame, use different light weight cradles or suspension components. With the two speed (pic below, already being tested) two axle drive motor/generator they could use a light weight short duration hybrid system and get double the torque when driving “in anger.” So 310 hp ICE with a ~160 hp equivalent electric drive with 2:1 gearing gets a short term ~320 hp equivalent extra short term torque.

That’s a total of 640 hp equivalent torque when desired, i.e. when accelerating and coming out of a turn. When cruising and for EPA defined mpg test, use the electric drive with energy stored when braking, and turn on the ICE when you reach cruising speed.

Much easier sad than done but as my old boss would say when he popped out and idea like that- Or Something.” He was a brilliant Physicist that was in charge of 4 R&D Labs, including mine. However had to remind my folks that they should NOT just blindly try to follow an idea he thought of in a few minutes. He pays us to consider viable options that will work in the real world!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-25-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Kudos to OP on this simple poll. I'm shocked no one has thought to do this before now, including me.

With the dozens and dozens of repetitive posts by a very small vocal minority, it was easy to lose sight of how overwhelmingly large the majority is, who think a dual, new-gen, ME and FE offering is not rational.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-25-2019 at 09:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
jefnvk (03-25-2019), John T (03-25-2019), TNBUSA (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:14 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

Eh, give me one for the low-mid 30's then, I'd still swing that. I do wonder how much weight you could trim from a production Vette though, get rid of all the comfort features, give it some lighter seats and strip it down to a basic nav/stereo system.

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The problem isn't EVs - electric motors are fantastic street motors with gobs of low end torque - the problem is that fat Americans, bad roads, and a shrinking middle class have conspired to drive demand of SUVs in lieu of less practical sports cars.
I still don't think the SUV trend has that big of an effect on sports cars. Sedans, yes, I'm just not buying that that many people cross shop an SUV and a Vette the way they would a Cruze and Equinox.
JoesC5 (03-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Do you believe there will be a new generation FE alongside the ME?