C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Does 63 rag joint have wire mesh

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Does 63 rag joint have wire mesh

Would the 63/66 rag joint have wire mesh embedded in the rubber. You can tell by rubbing your finger on the side of rubber rag. Also are there embossed part numbers on the metal hubs (5686624). My 63 joint (which I think is original) does not have any of these details. From what I can find out, only the 67 and later joints have the wire mesh. If you have time while you are out in the garage, would you check, thanks.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

My original '66 rag joint:

The following users liked this post:
MOXIE62 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here is an excerpt from a treatise about couplers by I believe Jim Shea:

One last difference, the original equipment flexible coupling and the authorized service part will have a method of conducting electrical grounding current from one side to the other so that you can operate your horn. Note, original flexible coupling assemblies manufactured before 1971 had a brass grounding strap or a small wire that encircled the center of the flexible coupling disc and electrically connected adjacent quadrants of the assembly. After 1970, a metal mesh screen was molded into the face of the rubber coupling disc to provide a ground path from steering column shaft to the gear input shaft. By the way, the metal mesh screen does not provide any additional strength to the rubber disc. Also, watch your fingers, those wire mesh ends on the edge of the coupling disc can be quite sharp.

A Word About the Author
I am a retired steering system engineer from Delphi Saginaw Steering Systems, (formerly Saginaw Steering Gear Division, GMC). Back in the early 1970s I was responsible for the flex coupling assembly and the power steering hoses for the C3 Corvette. So I have very first hand knowledge about these products. I also worked closely with other Saginaw engineers that had responsibility for the C3 manual steering gear, the control valve and adapter, the power steering pump, as well as the T&T and standard (non-adjustable) steering columns. I still keep in contact with Saginaw engineers (both active and retired) who help me with the various Corvette papers that are posted on Terry Rudy’s Corvettefaq.com websight.

You can clearly see the wire at the top of my NOS coupler:

All of which is a wordy way of answering the initial question, "Did 63 rag joints have a wire mesh?".

That would be a "NO"...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-26-2019 at 08:49 AM.
MOXIE62 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Jim Shea is the guy. I used his papers to restore the steering column on my 70 Chevelle. Jim is a asset to the GM restoration community. Jerry
Frankie the Fink (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:02 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Jim wrote to me stating the same thing that Frank wrote. I've been looking for an NOS 63 rag joint. There is the rag part on Ebay but it has the wire mesh and is listed for a 67 through 82 corvette. I wrote that guy asking if it would be correct for a 63. He said no but it will fit 63 metal housings. He said he founded Paragon and sold company so he knows something about these joints. He said he does not know why they made the new kits with 6 layers when adding another layer would not of been a problem. There is a very prominent 63 expert that if I mention his name, most everybody would know him. He has an excellent joint he restored with correct pins. fasteners and steel embedded wire rubber. He is selling it as a 63/66 joint. I told him of my concerns about it not being correct for 63. He said if I can prove the wire mesh was not used in 63 he would give the joint to me. Of course that will never happen. He's an honest guy and probably meant what he said but you know how we all are once we think we are right, there is no changing mind.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I have my worn out, original 63 rag joint in a box that I could check out, but I can already tell you - no wire mesh and it has the ground strap... The evolving situation with these sucks because LICS sold out of their super nice repros and they can no longer get the correct rags. The prices on NOS pieces spiked accordingly, the people that have them for sale know they're in the catbird seat...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-26-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The original 7-layer "rag" in my original coupler was actually OK....the issue was with the upper quadrant splines being destroyed so it wouldn't stay tight on the steering shaft with the pinch bolt. I'm gonna have to dig it out now and see if I can find a good housing and rebuild it into a working piece... It wouldn't have been worth it 2 years ago - it seems to be now..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-26-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:23 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

I always wondered if the "rag" was punched out of a tire carcass ------at least replacements. The mesh being steel belting? I've also seen strips of white rubber going across a rag. Whitewall?

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 03-26-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:43 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Jim wrote to me stating the same thing that Frank wrote. I've been looking for an NOS 63 rag joint. There is the rag part on Ebay but it has the wire mesh and is listed for a 67 through 82 corvette. I wrote that guy asking if it would be correct for a 63. He said no but it will fit 63 metal housings. He said he founded Paragon and sold company so he knows something about these joints. He said he does not know why they made the new kits with 6 layers when adding another layer would not of been a problem. There is a very prominent 63 expert that if I mention his name, most everybody would know him. He has an excellent joint he restored with correct pins. fasteners and steel embedded wire rubber. He is selling it as a 63/66 joint. I told him of my concerns about it not being correct for 63. He said if I can prove the wire mesh was not used in 63 he would give the joint to me. Of course that will never happen. He's an honest guy and probably meant what he said but you know how we all are once we think we are right, there is no changing mind.
The picture in post #2 clearly shows the copper ground strap in the center of the joint that is typical for 1963-1966 steering couplers, that is the ground path for the horn.

Mesh impregnated in the rubber started after they did AWAY with the strap which according to Jim Shea's notes was early seventies. Any NOS couplier from that time period will have the mesh, that's what I have on my 63 Corvette.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Some of you are probably thinking, what's the big deal, as long as it works. The big deal is trying to get everything correct as I can. In a past thread someone stated the kits are junk. No they are not. They just don't have the correct number of white threads. I used one on my joint and I would bet 99 out of a 100 folks would ever see my joint and say, (there's not enough white threads).

Old 03-26-2019, 05:45 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
I always wondered if the "rag" was punched out of a tire carcass ------at least replacements. The mesh being steel belting? I've also seen strips of white rubber going across a rag. Whitewall?
That is what it always looked like to me also.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Some of you are probably thinking, what's the big deal, as long as it works. The big deal is trying to get everything correct as I can. In a past thread someone stated the kits are junk. No they are not. They just don't have the correct number of white threads. I used one on my joint and I would bet 99 out of a 100 folks would ever see my joint and say, (there's not enough white threads).

The kits are pretty bad. The result is.a piece that is not hot-riveted as original and less firm. It can also be dangerous unless you use the original-style shoulder bolts. And the rags are sub-par.

The excerpt above from Jim Shea is actually from an article about the kits and discusses all of these issues.

Uh... and the lower steering column spring clamp in your picture is way loose.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-26-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's what the pre-1971 rag joint and grounding strap look like (the strap was part of the rag joint, which was received already bolted to the steering gear input shaft). Second photo shows the Service strap.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:56 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Looks like 6 white strands which is what they are selling today.
Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's what the pre-1971 rag joint and grounding strap look like (the strap was part of the rag joint, which was received already bolted to the steering gear input shaft). Second photo shows the Service strap.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:41 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Since you stated you wanted to get it as correct as you can. Then you also need to focus your attention on setting the correct spring preload on the end of the steering shaft with the slip collar. Nobody has seemed to notice that. What was the question again oh yeah rag joints....
Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Since you stated you wanted to get it as correct as you can. Then you also need to focus your attention on setting the correct spring preload on the end of the steering shaft with the slip collar. Nobody has seemed to notice that. What was the question again oh yeah rag joints....
Uh...last sentence in post #12...
Great minds think alike !
Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Uh...last sentence in post #12...
Great minds think alike !
Ha, my reading skills early in the morning are not all that great.

Get notified of new replies

To Does 63 rag joint have wire mesh

Quick Reply: Does 63 rag joint have wire mesh