Sponsored by:

Sirius/XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 PM
jeffnoa
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sirius/XM Radio

Has anyone had success with getting Sirius/XM to send an invoice for a one year subscription as opposed to giving them a credit card (which I refuse to do). I received an offer of $4.99 per month for 12 months and that was about my price point for their service. I wanted to activate the offer for (3) cars, including my 2017 Vette, and they would only do it if I gave them my credit card. They refused my business based on my request for an invoice to pay the full amount for 3 cars in advance for one year by check or prepaid debit card. Thus, told them I'll just listen to FM and they did not care. What a way to do business
Old 03-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Gould1
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

They suck!!!I have them in 2 vehicles and its always a fight come renewal time. They always jack the price of the subscription to a crazy rate and I end up fighting with someone for an hour that cant speak English.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

At one time they would send an invoice. I guess they decided to change that practice. Hell, OnStar's even turned on the "screw you" button on new car purchases. At one time the free trial service would would just stop at the end, now they just keep it going and debit your account if you don't call to stop it altogether. I found that out by chance while looking at their web site.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 03-26-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM
Gould1
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Onstar sucks too! The Onstar antenna dyed in my new truck when the warranty went up. Now keep in mind that I'm a paying Onstar customer. Would you think that GM would fix this on their dime? Nope. Guess what, If my Onstar antenna doesn't work why should I pay for Onstar. So I cancelled it.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:47 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

My new 19 Z06 I bought in 2018 December. I contacted XM and asked if since my car is stored away for the winter can I have them reactivate my XM when I bring it out in the spring and they said yes. Did it with both for my free trial. I have XM in my other 2 cars and I never use a credit card. They always send me a mail bill. I am contacting XM this week to get me 3 free months for the Vette and I need to contact OnStar if I decide to try it. Not sure if I will for the free trial. I also received that specifically for 4.99 a month for 12 months. Since I have account with XM already. I probably can just use my iPhone with my app account and listen to XM with my phone then my corvette system. If I do that then I will not renew my account.’
Old 03-26-2019, 04:58 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR CARD NUMBER!!!!!! They are a real pain in the a$$ to get out of. Even if you call & tell them you want out --- they still renew you until you send a registered letter that they must sign for and still they hound you. Yes - you can get a one year plan if you send them a check. "ONCE BITTEN -TWICE SHY"
Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have paper billing from them. I can't remember if I get a bill annually or every 6 months. I had to specifically ask for it and they charge me an extra $1 for the paper billing.

Another way I've dealt with this kind of problem is by establishing a special bank account just for situations where I'm a little worried. I only keep a small amount of money in that account and use the debit card when I need to give a card number.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:32 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

As I posted in the thread about OnStar, NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER give XM/Sirius your CC info. Make them send you an invoice. That way, when renewal time comes, you simply threaten to cancel service and they'll cut you a much better deal if you don't cancel. This won't work if they have your CC as they'll simply renew you and it takes an act of G-d to get them to actually cancel you

(I've been doing this for damn near 10 years and it always works.)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:33 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Never give Sirius your CC information, always demand otherwise.

once my trial is over i'll let it die and listen to my amazon music.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:35 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Second that Orca!
Old 03-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Just give them a call and haggle with them for price. For the last 5 years, with two new C7's I pay yearly after the free trial ends. I dicker with them until I get a better deal, then have them send me an invoice and pay with check. I have never sent them a CC number and never will. I do it this way every year with no interruption in service.
DAC17 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:43 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

After my my free trial of sirius ended on a new car recently, i found an iheart channel called "the breeze" on an hd3 channel. It's like the Sirius bridge channel, but NO commercials, and no cheesy sirius talkys (meet the bands) they have started on all their channels. Now i really miss the hd radio that chevy deleted on the 2017 c7's
Old 03-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Sorry you all have such bad luck!

Sirius has my CC. I've canceled service on many cars without an issue. Why? Because I actually listen to the terms of the contract that I'm agreeing to, and I remember to call to cancel *prior* to my promo rate ending. If I forget to call and I get charged for a full month, guess whose fault it is?

The usual problem with CC and Sirius: Most of the time, people agree to be billed at the regular rate when the promotion ends (they state this very clearly when they confirm your service order), and then those same people bitch and moan when that exact scenario happens. "But but but... I just forgot to cancel! Why do they have the right to charge me full price for a month???!!!! WAAAAAA!".

Here's a simple plan:
1) Get the promo rate and set a reminder to call & cancel 7 days ahead of expiration.
2) Call them on that date and tell them you want to cancel service. They'll give you the promo rate again. Or,
2a) Cancel service and live your life.

If they (or ANY CC vendor) charges you without your consent, dispute the charge with your CC company.

It's really not that hard.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kent1999:
DAC17 (03-28-2019), jefnvk (03-27-2019), Maxie2U (03-26-2019), wmupaprmkr (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 PM
edweiler
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes ....they are idiots! Everyone agrees with that. I pay by check for our Jeep, my Ram work truck, our Vette, and our boat....I intentionally let the subscription expire for any that is ready to renew and wait a bit for them to offer me the same subscription at about a fifth of the price as a "welcome back" or "we want you back" as what I would have paid to renew it when it was due for payment to keep it on...there is always fm and downloaded music till it kicks back in...call it cheap if you want...but with 4 sxm's it just seems "smart"
Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by edweiler
Yes ....they are idiots! Everyone agrees with that. I pay by check for our Jeep, my Ram work truck, our Vette, and our boat....I intentionally let the subscription expire for any that is ready to renew and wait a bit for them to offer me the same subscription at about a fifth of the price as a "welcome back" or "we want you back" as what I would have paid to renew it when it was due for payment to keep it on...there is always fm and downloaded music till it kicks back in...call it cheap if you want...but with 4 sxm's it just seems "smart"
Really? a fifth of the price? My "customer retention renewal" price is like $7/month (as usual, I paid by CC but told them I wanted to cancel at the end of my last promo deal). You pay 1/5th of that because your contract had expired? So you pay like $1.50/month?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:36 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

People are so paranoid about CC's....they have mine as well. If I was ever concerned I'd use a prepaid card, problem solve. If you want the service, give them your card and relax.

I have to say though, if I didn't already have a few lifetime subscriptions from them that I have transferred to other cars I'd whittle things down to just one subscription. Now that you can use the app with CarPlay you don't need to use the satellite feed as long as you have cell signal and there are some different channels on the app that are not on the car. And some features too like rewind and skip ahead. The app I can use in all of my cars, even without CarPlay as I can just BT stream it. Only need one subscription really....
Old 03-26-2019, 09:33 PM
laserjack
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Sirius has had my CC with absolutely no problems. I've never had any problems cancelling when I've turned in a vehicle or sold it. And when a special 6 month offer is expiring, I always call a week or so ahead, tell them I want to cancel, they transfer you to the "person that handles that" and then they offer you an even better deal. Been doing this for years on all my cars.....have the Sirius Select plan with MLB for 4.99 month for a year for each vehicle that gets billed to my CC for both. Never have had any issues dealing with any of their operators, usually only takes 5-10 minutes and I'm done. But you absolutely have to call to cancel before the full monthly charge gets billed.
The following 2 users liked this post by laserjack:
Maxie2U (03-26-2019), wmupaprmkr (03-27-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Sirius/XM Radio

Old 03-26-2019, 09:51 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

I used to have them send an invoice and then send a check. For the last few renewals I tell them to send the invoice in an email. You then have the option to make a CC ONE TIME payment which does not give them access to your CC number on file. No problem or cost for sending an invice. FWIW...
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I may be in the minority because I have no problem with SiriusXM. I subscribe 6 months out of the year which I pay when I activate usually costing $31.00 for six months. I simply call them a week or so before the automatic renewal happens to cancel the service.

For the discount price you can’t bet SiriusXM’s extensive programming.
jimmie jam (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I may be in the minority because I have no problem with SiriusXM. I subscribe 6 months out of the year which I pay when I activate usually costing $31.00 for six months. I simply call them a week or so before the automatic renewal happens to cancel the service.

For the discount price you can’t bet SiriusXM’s extensive programming.
I have been doing this on 3 radios for 10 years and have been a subscriber since 2003. NEVER an issue or problem...EVER.

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Radio