C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bypass valve and bypass actuator

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 07:22 PM
DaimonDRS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass valve and bypass actuator

Hi guys I have a problem with a Z06 c7 2017 , the car came for a Exhaust replacement but we noticed a problem with the actuator and bypass valve of the supercharger .

When is on the bypass valve suction weird and the bypass actuator start to jump , we replace the both parts because look a little bit dirty so just for mental peace.

Now when the 3 vacuum hoses are connected the actuator start to act weird , but if we disconnect the vacuum from the bypass valve to the engine , the actuator stays good as it have to be .

The car has less than 7k miles no warranty and the dealer doesn't find the problem

I hope someone can help

Thank you
Old 04-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Have you tried troubleshooting the boost control solenoid? This is at the pressure side of the bypass valve and if defective it can make the bypass actuator act weird.

All well sealed? No vacuum leaks?

If you remove the vacuum line from the bypass actuator, it will see atmospheric pressure and the spring inside the actuator will push the valve closed at all times (not bypassing). This is not normal, but it won't fluctuate if that is what you meant, just permanently closed.
www.solerengineering.com

Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 PM
DaimonDRS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
Have you tried troubleshooting the boost control solenoid? This is at the pressure side of the bypass valve and if defective it can make the bypass actuator act weird.

If you remove the vacuum line from the bypass actuator, it will see atmospheric pressure and the spring inside the actuator will push the valve closed at all times (not bypassing). This is not normal, but it won't fluctuate if that is what you meant, just permanently closed.
Yes I replace the boost. control solenoid and the bypass valve actuator , yes that's what I mean, when all the vacuum hoses are connected to the solenoid and the bypass, the bypass starts to fluctuate and make a sound like tik tik, I push the gas pedal and moves the actuator .
but when I disconnected the vacuum from the engine to the boost solenoid the actuator sits in his place and works fine , this is not normal I know but I look from every space and didn't find anything more wrong

Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM
DaimonDRS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr

This is the failure

And this is how its supposed to be but with the vacuum removed

Old 04-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

With all lines connected; are they connected like in the image below? Did you check for obstructions in the lines?

In the failure video, it looks as if the actuator is trying to open the valve while idling as it should, but that it loses vacuum and the actuator spring battles to close it back, almost as if the vacuum was intermittent. Then when you rev, it tries to open it instead of closing it.

On the second video w/ vacuum disconnected, when you are idling everything looks normal; can't really explain how the valve is open w/o vacuum on the actuator.

Sounds like there is something upside down.

Last edited by Mike@SolerEngr; 04-24-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bypass valve and bypass actuator

Quick Reply: Bypass valve and bypass actuator