C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

looking for ideas for a 400-500 HP build

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Brett Long
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for ideas for a 400-500 HP build

I'm wanting to get 400-500 HP to the wheels. out of my 88 L98 4+3 Manuel. And a budget really isn't a big deal. just means ill have to wait a little longer for better parts. with that in mind i need recommendations and some wisdom from those that have done this before. and given it will take some time, ill need to to know where to start without having to do everything at once. i'm also unable to pull the engine, hopefully that wont be an issue. ive seen some similar post from years ago but the original poster never specified what they wanted so the replies were all over the place.

Also, i want to remove the emissions from my car. good idea or no. this isnt me looking for "easy" HP just want to remove some clutter. where i live they dont test for emissions, just safety.
this isnt engine related but i also want to lower the car a little bit. im not a fan of the gap between the fender and the tires.

thanks to those who give there feedback.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You will need a crate engine with 550 + hp and a different transmission. Mostly thousands of dollars. There are lots of threads related to the subject, for your goals you might only re-use block and accessory brackets. So figure a complete new engine.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Agree.....I dont see how a stock bottom end would hold up with the rpm needed. If budget isnt a concern then build something bigger.

You have a 2 bolt main cast bottom end it just wont tolerate the rpm needed for that. May for awhile but why risk ruining new heads, cam etc if it scatters?
Start wiht the biggest CI you can,. a 400 block is a good start. GM Dart, Blueprint etc make them

Last edited by cv67; 04-21-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM
jayjones
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Long
I'm wanting to get 400-500 HP to the wheels. out of my 88 L98 4+3 Manuel. And a budget really isn't a big deal. just means ill have to wait a little longer for better parts. with that in mind i need recommendations and some wisdom from those that have done this before. and given it will take some time, ill need to to know where to start without having to do everything at once. i'm also unable to pull the engine, hopefully that wont be an issue. ive seen some similar post from years ago but the original poster never specified what they wanted so the replies were all over the place.

Also, i want to remove the emissions from my car. good idea or no. this isnt me looking for "easy" HP just want to remove some clutter. where i live they dont test for emissions, just safety.
this isnt engine related but i also want to lower the car a little bit. im not a fan of the gap between the fender and the tires.

thanks to those who give there feedback.

There is a big difference between 400hp and 500hp to the wheels. I think step 1 is to refine your goal a little more. Chances are you don't need 400hp or 500hp to the wheels to achieve what you're wanting. Also, having a peak HP goal isn't really helpful either since the route to get there (NO2, turbo, SC) will result in vastly different performance characteristics.

Are you wanting to red-light race some late model mustangs? Have a 1/4mile ET target? Autocross? These are all valid builds but you would approach them from totally different directions. If you don't have a clear goal in mind you may waste money not matching parts and mods.

Last edited by jayjones; 04-22-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:49 AM
jayjones
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jayjones
There is a big difference in 400hp and 500hp to the wheels. I think step 1 is to refine your goal a little more. Chances are you don't need 400hp or 500hp to the wheels to achieve what you're wanting. Also, having a peak HP goal isn't really helpful either since the route to get there (NO2, turbo, SC) will result in vastly different performance characteristics.

Are you wanting to red-light race some late model mustangs? Have a 1/4mile ET target? Autocross? These are all valid builds but you would approach them from totally different directions. If you don't have a clear goal in mind you may waste money not matching parts and mods.
Oh sorry. Should have led with, Welcome to the Forum! This is a great place to learn about your car, and yours looks like a nice example.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:39 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You can get 400 to the wheels fairly easily, 500 requires more work.

Need to refine the goal a little more, what will the car be used for? Driven on the street alot or a race car? Want to build to rev to 7K or more low end grunt?
Old 04-22-2019, 03:18 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Proven 535HP and 487TQ build right here.

FYI this engine made 410RWHP using Holley HP EFI on a Dynojet chassis dyno thru a 700R4 Auto and 3500 stall.

Car ran a best of 11.20@121MPH on motor and 10.27@131MPH on 125 shot in great weather..... It was his daily driver for 2yrs as well.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...95-dyno-s.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-track.html

Will
Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

450 rear wheel hp will take some some serious amounts of cash, the fact that you are even asking how too accomplish it might be an indicator that you should look more down the line of 500 hp at flywheel and end up with 375-400 rear wheel and that is still a very bad *** engine with large cam, high compression ratio and very good flowing heads, or super charger/turbo which is just blah *** too fast too furious crap... i am sure the boys at Dart engineering would hook you right up though, give them a call.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Brett Long
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im starting to think maybe keeping it stock now. ill do more research. at first glance looking at what parts that are available for this engine i didnt find a whole lot.

thanks for the input. ill look into everything that was mentioned.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:53 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Brett do you have smog issues can you use a different style intake?
Headers?
If so this wont be hard to do.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for ideas for a 400-500 HP build

Quick Reply: looking for ideas for a 400-500 HP build