Sponsored by:

So, TPMS still no worky, after driving, after manual procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 02:50 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

Default So, TPMS still no worky, after driving, after manual procedure

Driven about 60 miles now, including shutting the car completely off, two including manually forcing the car into learn mode at startup (learned that from searching), still not working, no pressures displaying, nothing.

Done this before on other wheelsets without issue...picked up the new sensors immediately

I'm gonna assume just keep driving?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

This was posted in a previous thread on the learn process for the TPS:

If, however, the sensors change position, or if you buy another set of sensors for the second set of wheels, you’ll have to put the car through “auto learn” process so the computer knows which sensor is in which position.

To do this, start the engine and select the tire-pressure display in the DIC. Press and hold the SEL button until the display changes to indicate the system is in learn mode; the horn will also sound briefly. Drive the car for at least 10 minutes, and the computer will read the signal from all four sensors.

You’ll then be good to go. When you shut the car off, you’ll get another short toot from the horn, indicating that the learning procedure was completed.
If you have done the above and it is not working, something with the system may be wrong. Perhaps take the car in for a look by the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
snampro (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 AM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your reply.

I found the procedure you posted when searching and I've attempted that three times now to no avail. I talked to the place I got them and will try some other things everyone on here seems to think is unnecessary and report back.

I think a dealer will be my last resort, hopefully it doesn't come to that...

Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:20 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

When I changed wheels the set I purchased had C7 TPMS already installed. Simply had the new set mounted and drove the car for about 10 miles. Stopped and started the car, everything worked perfectly. If you've tried reprogramming and that didn't work, I'd bet the set of TPMS you just installed are defective. With the C7, it's not supposed to be that hard.
Also, when I asked the question about the need to reprogram on this forum, by far, most responses were just mount them and go, no programming required. In my opinion, I'm not sure the dealer can help.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 AM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Thinking out loud here...

Let me repeat what you said:
1) TPMS system works OK
2) New wheels & tire pressure sensors
3) TPMS now does not work

So - what changed? TPMS sensors - are you sure they are the correct C7 TPMS sensors?
IIRC C6 sensors used piezoelectric crystals for power, C7 sensors have batteries. I don't know the life of the sensor batteries.
Do you have another wheel / tire with known good sensors? If so, swap one wheel back and see if it works.

Let us know how this works out.

Ron
snampro (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Have a TPMS sensor removed and verify that it is the correct part number. It sounds as if they installed incorrect sensors.
astaggs (09-09-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM
snampro
Burning Brakes

thanks for the responses and the PM's. I have a few things to try, and will update when I take a few more steps:

1. another few cycles with current setup, including the manual learn procedure above, to see if they decide to work themselves out
2. TPMS reset tool to ensure sensors are playing ball correctly
3. I do have other wheels with sensors that worked last week, will go that route prior to any bead-breaking off the current setup
4. dealer or comprehensive maintenance scan tool
5. something else to read the sensors to see if they are working at all (would elminate the sensors from the trouble list)

thanks again...
Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

If the system does not automatically recognize the sensors, you either have battery issues with one or more sensors, which is unlikely with all 4, or there is a TPMS module hardware or software issue.

Pardon me if I missed it, but have those same sensors ever read correctly in the past? I'm asking because if you just had new set of wheels and tires mounted, someone could have used the wrong sensors.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.
snampro (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
Thinking out loud here...

So - what changed? TPMS sensors - are you sure they are the correct C7 TPMS sensors?
IIRC C6 sensors used piezoelectric crystals for power, C7 sensors have batteries. I don't know the life of the sensor batteries.
Do you have another wheel / tire with known good sensors? If so, swap one wheel back and see if it works.

Let us know how this works out.

Ron
C6 TPMS sensors do indeed have batteries, and those batteries do wear out. Lifetimes vary. The batteries are replaceable, I've done several of them. I'd assume that the C7 sensors are similar in construction. The C6 batteries lasted anywhere from 5-8 years or so. I was surprised that the spread was so long as I just replaced the batteries as they died throughout the range. Anyway I'd guess that either the tpms sensors are the wrong ones, or you managed to get new old stock sensors that sat on a shelf and the batteries slowly died over that time - I had the same experience with other sensors I bought.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:04 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by snampro
thanks for the responses and the PM's. I have a few things to try, and will update when I take a few more steps:

1. another few cycles with current setup, including the manual learn procedure above, to see if they decide to work themselves out
2. TPMS reset tool to ensure sensors are playing ball correctly
3. I do have other wheels with sensors that worked last week, will go that route prior to any bead-breaking off the current setup
4. dealer or comprehensive maintenance scan tool
5. something else to read the sensors to see if they are working at all (would elminate the sensors from the trouble list)

thanks again...
This tells me that the new wheels have the wrong sensors installed, and not some bizarre "all 4 batteries died at the same time" or "chassis TPMS module died at the exact moment new wheels were installed" issue.

Break a bead, and pull a sensor out to check the part number. I'm betting it is the wrong one for C7.

As a diagnostic, you could break one wheel open and just replace that ONE sensor with a KNOWN GOOD C7 sensor (preferably a genuine GM TPMS sensor for a C7, after you've double-checked the PN). If you then get a reading from that one wheel/tire, you know the other sensors are wrong.

Or heck, I'd try just temporarily but securely taping or cellophane-wrapping a new, known-good C7 TPMS sensor to the outside of one of the rear wheel spokes and go for a drive (keeping your speed under 35mph or so, of course, so the forces don't try so hard to rip the sensor from the wheel). You should get a "0" reading for that one sensor, instead of the blanks you are seeing now.

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-22-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

good ideas. I'm hesitant to break a bead yet because pushing tires off wheels always risks damaging the wheels, even with a touchless system.

sensors are ITM sensors, 433Hz and for the C7, so should be good. gonna play with them tonight and let you know what I find.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:56 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

You stated you tried manually forcing the car in learn mode. I am assuming the procedure was from the Corvette user manual.

From the ITM website, here are the instructions of how to get the sensors to work .
Take a look under the model you have to see the procedure.

http://itmautoparts.com/wp-content/u...Procedures.pdf

snampro (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

The "forcing the car in learn mode" was the procedure mentioned above and repeated here:
1. Start the engine and select the tire-pressure display in the DIC.
2. Press and hold the SEL button until the display changes to indicate the system is in learn mode; the horn will also sound briefly
3. Drive the car for at least 10 minutes (at above 12 mph)

Thanks for posting the ITM procedure, very helpful.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Default Update

UPDATE: Received my TPMS sensor setup tool today. I put the car into learn mode and it acknowledges the front two (gray stem) sensors as I step through the ITM R117 procedure, but does not acknowledge the rear (black stem) sensors at all. Long story short, the fronts arrived before the rears, an issue with production, and the result was what appeared to be sensors with different color stems, but might actually just be incorrect sensors in the rears.

So...I'm guessing the front sensors are correct and the rear are not..? I'm gonna try one more thing, drive to see if that "wakes up" the rear sensors and then try the setup again.

​​​​​​Regardless, I have ordered new sensors to get it right.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys. Getting the ITM procedure helped a ton.

*TAKEAWAY*: non-OE sensors do require a setup process and setup tool. The tool is used to reset the sensors while the car is in learn mode. This is not well documented on this forum that I've seen.

Maynmbe this should go into the how-to section? If a mod wants to let me know how to do that I'll put some time into pics and instructions.

Tool link Tool link

Last edited by snampro; 04-23-2019 at 08:13 PM.
GeoGS (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When we got new tires for my wife's Toyota at Discount Tires last Fall, I bought four new Toyota sensors and had DT install them with the new tires. DT was completely unable to train them with any of their tools and said "too bad, you should have bought our sensors." I had to get them programmed at the Toyota dealer.
Everyone else loves Discount Tires, my experiences have been very mixed.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

*TAKEAWAY*: non-OE sensors do require a setup process and setup tool. The tool is used to reset the sensors while the car is in learn mode. This is not well documented on this forum that I've seen.

This is the same procedure as the C6.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

UPDATE:

That is true. For my second set of wheels, I used non-OEM because it would have been another week to get the OEMs. The tire shop cloned the non-OEM senors to be the same as my originals. There is no learning phase when I switch tires. I get an instant reading.

Get notified of new replies

To So, TPMS still no worky, after driving, after manual procedure

Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Part # on the "non-working" ones will give you the answer.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

I had new sensors installed with new wheels and tires, no problem with sensors, they were detected with no problem. Nothing special was done to initiate them.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Over the 22 years I have been playing with tire pressure sensors I have found the OEM sensors to provide the longest lasting and least trouble service. Any of the others that aren't provided by the original supplier to the auto company are suspect. After purchasing and installing sensors from various auto parts stores that went bad in a month getting one time warranty replacements and having to pay to break the tire down each time there is a problem it was ultimately lower cost and less hassle to go with OEMs. What is a real pisser is when the auto parts store tells you they won't honor the warranty once you have gotten one replacement. One and done. There are a lot of crap sensors on the market.

Bill

Quick Reply: So, TPMS still no worky, after driving, after manual procedure