C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob training

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Rtp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob training

Went to train the fobs as I do each spring. Once I got to the point of holding the lock unlock buttons for 15 seconds it never did say fob trained.
anybody have this happen.
car is 1999 which I have owned since new.
thanks
Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 156 Posts

This happened to me this year. A new battery in the fob took care of the problem. That would be my recommendation on where to start.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

I had problems with mine - while it was at the dealer for an AC compressor I asked the service manager to "take a look at it" (as I was already spending boku bucks with them). I don't know what they did - but the thing sings now - it will even unlock the trunk (FRC). I also noticed that the horn sounds on unlock (which it wasn't doing before) so as part of the fix they also reset the car....
Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I hate to post this because it's not going to help at all but a good chunk of the issues you are having is because you have a 1999 model. For some very strange reason 1999 and 2000 model year cars seem to have the absolutely worst time possible sync'ing FOBs. You can search the threads posted here in tech throughout the years and see owners of these two year models having terrible times with it. I now have THREE 1997-2000 FOBs and cannot even get one to sync and properly stay programmed to my 99 model car. I've effectively given up and I'm just going to wait anyways until I can get to the point where I can swap all the RF hardware over to the more reliable - and cheaper - 2001-2004 setup (the TPMS sensors utilize the same frequencies as the FOBs, so you have to change everything over).

Originally Posted by jjc508520
I also noticed that the horn sounds on unlock (which it wasn't doing before) so as part of the fix they also reset the car....
This is controlled via the DIC on the Option tab. If you scroll through you'll see the alarm setting for horn, horn/lights, lights, or nothing.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Rtp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by wscott62893
This happened to me this year. A new battery in the fob took care of the problem. That would be my recommendation on where to start.
thanks got new batteries and good to go
appre it
Old 04-22-2019, 02:04 PM
Rtp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
I hate to post this because it's not going to help at all but a good chunk of the issues you are having is because you have a 1999 model. For some very strange reason 1999 and 2000 model year cars seem to have the absolutely worst time possible sync'ing FOBs. You can search the threads posted here in tech throughout the years and see owners of these two year models having terrible times with it. I now have THREE 1997-2000 FOBs and cannot even get one to sync and properly stay programmed to my 99 model car. I've effectively given up and I'm just going to wait anyways until I can get to the point where I can swap all the RF hardware over to the more reliable - and cheaper - 2001-2004 setup (the TPMS sensors utilize the same frequencies as the FOBs, so you have to change everything over).

This is controlled via the DIC on the Option tab. If you scroll through you'll see the alarm setting for horn, horn/lights, lights, or nothing.
just put in new batteries and all is well
thanks
Old 04-22-2019, 02:53 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette

Have you tried reflowing the solder in your 3 key fobs? This is actually a known FIX for the issue. Even if that does not work, a new Fob is only $90 and a lot less expensive that changing over to a 2001-2004 set up.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM
steady_p
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default Fob training succeeds but fob still not working

Originally Posted by Rtp
Went to train the fobs as I do each spring. Once I got to the point of holding the lock unlock buttons for 15 seconds it never did say fob trained.
anybody have this happen.
car is 1999 which I have owned since new.
thanks
Hi, I've just bought a 2000 C5 and i had this unpleasant surprise too, yesterday: the FOB does not work and, at the same time, i have the infamous 'serv. tire mon sys. ' error on my dash. Ok, the car had not been running for 5 years, the battery was replaced, probably the tire sensors have never been changed. The difference between your case and mine is that i can get the message 'fob trained' after the training sequence (but i need to keep the lock+unlock buttons pushed together for at least 30secs, not only 15!). In any case, after the training is done, the fob doesn't work anyway. The only way i can have it work (but only for about 1 minute), is pushing the lock+ unlock buttons together, with no training sequence. After a 30secs, i hear a double horn beep and then the fob starts working... I can lock, unlick, open the trunk but... for a time not longer than 40-60secs, after this time it's like it loses the memory or it goes out of sync or something like that. The battery of the fob is new, so i'm struggling asking myself if the cause of malfunction is the fob or the receiver (even though the training sequence ends with the 'fob trained' message). I read somewhere that often the fob and TPMS error message go together and that's because of receiver's fault. Any suggestion welcome. Ciao.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM
v6turbo87
Pro

Originally Posted by steady_p
Hi, I've just bought a 2000 C5 and i had this unpleasant surprise too, yesterday: the FOB does not work and, at the same time, i have the infamous 'serv. tire mon sys. ' error on my dash. Ok, the car had not been running for 5 years, the battery was replaced, probably the tire sensors have never been changed. The difference between your case and mine is that i can get the message 'fob trained' after the training sequence (but i need to keep the lock+unlock buttons pushed together for at least 30secs, not only 15!). In any case, after the training is done, the fob doesn't work anyway. The only way i can have it work (but only for about 1 minute), is pushing the lock+ unlock buttons together, with no training sequence. After a 30secs, i hear a double horn beep and then the fob starts working... I can lock, unlick, open the trunk but... for a time not longer than 40-60secs, after this time it's like it loses the memory or it goes out of sync or something like that. The battery of the fob is new, so i'm struggling asking myself if the cause of malfunction is the fob or the receiver (even though the training sequence ends with the 'fob trained' message). I read somewhere that often the fob and TPMS error message go together and that's because of receiver's fault. Any suggestion welcome. Ciao.
This is a classic symptom of solder joints that are broken on the board. When you hold the Lock and Unlock buttons you are squeezing the fob and flexing the PC board. This completes the broken connection on the
PC board so it works for a while the then connection open back up and the fob does not work. Do a search for "Fob fix" and you will see where to reflow the solder on the PC board and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:41 AM
steady_p
Instructor

Originally Posted by v6turbo87
This is a classic symptom of solder joints that are broken on the board. When you hold the Lock and Unlock buttons you are squeezing the fob and flexing the PC board. This completes the broken connection on the
PC board so it works for a while the then connection open back up and the fob does not work. Do a search for "Fob fix" and you will see where to reflow the solder on the PC board and see if it fixes the problem.
Thank you so much, V6!!! Glad to know that it is the fob and not the receiver. I'm going to run the search you suggested me, i can solder. Thanks again, ciao.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:28 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Originally Posted by steady_p
Thank you so much, V6!!! Glad to know that it is the fob and not the receiver. I'm going to run the search you suggested me, i can solder. Thanks again, ciao.
Here is the tread with the info in it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...em-solved.html
Old 04-24-2019, 03:40 PM
steady_p
Instructor

Very interesting link, there are some pics too. Everything very clear. I'll try it and then give a feedback. Thanks again, friend, you probably saved me some hundreds euro...
Old 05-03-2019, 04:58 PM
steady_p
Instructor

Thank you V6, today i did the job on my fob as per your suggestion and... It worked!!!
I was very happy, but just for a little while, because the service guy where i brought my newly purchased c5 (2000 model) for a check, gave me so many bad news that... I decided to put the car for sale immediately... harmonic balancer KO, Hvac compressor leaking, pulleys and belts to replace, dumpers to replace, battery to replace: totally a 5 to 6k€ roughly estimated for a complete repairing, in an unpredictable time, because here in Italy, c5 spare parts almost do not exist. In few words, soon i realized i bought a real crap, even though it only has 25k miles, but have been sleeping in a garage for the last 5 years now. You know what's the most ironic part of the story? My brother in law sold me the car for 20k€, telling me it was perfect (c5 has always been my dream, now it turned to be my nightmare). Tomorrow the ad with the car for sale will be online, can't wait to get this rubbish out of my sight asap...
Thank you so much anyway and forgive my rush.
A (former) Vette enthusiast.

Last edited by steady_p; 05-03-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob training

Quick Reply: Fob training