Sponsored by:

Raw first impressions of C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:46 PM
Tallis77
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Raw first impressions of C7 Corvette

Recently, I have gotten serious about choosing a new car and a C7 Corvette is in the running. I have been lurking on this forum for quite some and it has been very informative. But nothing beats experience for making a call like this. So, I decided to rent a C7 Corvette through Turo for a day to see what it is really like. I recommend this approach: a day with the car was much more telling than a short test drive. I have never driven a Corvette before so I would like to share my raw impressions. I hope you find it fun and entertaining. I share my verdict at the end if you want to skip the write up.

THE CAR

I rented a 2015 Stingray Z51 A8 in 2LT trim in white with a black interior. That's about right for me: I prefer the narrow body style and I don't feel I need the power of the Z06. A little background: I have had performance cars in the past including an FD RX-7 and a WRX but I currently drive a Cadillac ATS 2.0L manual. I wish I could have found a manual C7 to rent but it is not surprising that no one would rent out a manual.

THAT HOOD

My first reaction on getting in the car was a hood that stretched way beyond what I am used to. It's now common for many modern cars to be "cabin forward" with smaller, sharply descending hoods. This would take some getting used to: the front corners of the car are tricky to judge. But I admit that it gives a kind of retro feel to the car that I find unique.

HOW LOW?

I found myself doing a controlled fall into the drivers seat. I was expecting this: my RX-7 was a low car. But the Corvette is remarkably low: finger tip low. What I mean is from the drivers seat, what kind of movement would you have to do to reach out from the open door and touch the ground? If you are in an SUV or truck, you would fall out and hurt yourself before touching the ground. Most sedans you have to twist and extend your arm to find the tarmac. Not the Corvette: you can just reach out and touch the road with your finger tip :-) I can get in and out well enough but it is something to consider if you have any mobility issues. It also poses some challenges in visibility. Its easy to get stuck behind a large vehicle and not be able to see ahead.

SUBSTANTIAL

When first driving away, I was surprised at how weighty the car feels. Being a sports car, I was expecting it to feel lighter. I realize that the car isn't a Porsche and certainly not a Lotus but it doesn't seem to hide its weight like other cars I have driven recently. My friend who was riding along with me commented right away from the passenger seat that it felt kind of heavy especially at low speeds. On paper, the Corvette is a middle weight so this impression was a little concerning. Part of it could be the steering feel and big tires but I think it is a bit more than that.

GET A GRIP

After tootling around a bit, I took it out to the backroads for a more serious drive. Here the car redeems itself from my first impression. When pushed a bit harder, the feeling of heaviness decreases, the balance feels good, the turn in is crisp, and the grip is quite astounding. Braking happens right now and, as I expected, there is plenty of power for this kind of driving. But I would definitely choose a manual. The A8 is okay but I found the delay from paddle activation to shift is longer than I would prefer. In the overall scheme of things, the A8 is most likely the faster choice but I prefer the control of a manual. Overall, I really like the way the car drives on backroads and that is one of my primary criteria for my next car.

ABOUT THAT WIDTH

More than once on my backroad jaunt, I found myself just clipping the edge of the admittedly narrow roads in spirited driving. It sometimes feels like the car barely fits in the lane. I can't imagine what it would be like in the wide body GS or Z06. I took it home and checked my smallish garage: it fits but without very much to spare. Nonetheless, I think this is something that you can get used to with additional experience. But no wide body for me even if I am giving up the benefits of wider tires.

HIGHWAY CRUISE

Next, I took the car out for a longer freeway drive. I have read a lot of the comments about road noise in the Corvette and I was worried that I had become spoiled by my current ride: the Cadillac ATS. I was quite happy to find in tour mode, highway driving was not problem in the Corvette. It's not like the Cadillac but nonetheless very reasonable: the suspension is not punishing and conversing with a passenger isn't an issue. My old RX-7 and WRX were much worse. I expect to take some road trips with my next car and this bodes well. I found out later that the owner had installed sound mats in the
hatch and other areas. That certainly seems like a thing to do.

DRAMA QUEEN

I haven't spoken much about straight line get up and go yet. To tell the truth, it is not my primary criteria for a performance car. Balance, suspension, feel, turn-in, braking, and acceptable power are more important to me than off the line acceleration. That's the reason I have been happy with lower displacement forced induction cars in my past. However, I feel that once in my life I would like to try a big, naturally aspirated V8 as a contrast to those cars.

I found the Corvette to be tuned to be very docile off the line unless you really punch it. Modern turbocharged cars actually get off the line pretty well but the power and torque tends to die off early. The Corvette is much more even in its power delivery but this can give the impression of not jumping off the line as quickly as you might imagine. At first, this seemed really weird to me. That is until I discovered that you really need to get on it to see what it can really do.

I found a nice freeway on-ramp with no traffic, made sure the car was in sport, and did a spirited rolling start. "BWAAAAH! (spit) BWHAAAAAH!" The motor explodes with sound and it moves very convincingly. The exhaust noise is so intense that it made me bit self conscious. If you are looking to go fast without drawing much attention, this motor is not what you are looking for.

The Corvette struck me as a bit of a drama queen: at low RPM when you are light on the go petal, the engine is very docile and almost quiet. But anytime you get on it, it wants to scream: "Look at me! I am power!" But I get it: it is fun as long as you a ready for the attention it brings.

TOP OFF

I have never owned a convertible and that's a bit sad. The few times I have driven a convertible with the top down I enjoyed the experience. But a true soft top comes with compromises. I generally like the look of a coupe, the mechanism for a convertible can be touchy, and there is usually more storage in non-convertible cars. The removable top of the C7 coupe seems like a nice compromise.

The day was nice and I pulled over and removed the top. It's reasonably easy to do and it fits in the hatch very well. Driving it this way was wonderful. Yes, there is some buffeting especially if you move quickly. But I thought this experience was great and I call it a definite win.

AUDIO ISSUES

Most reviewers generally like the audio system in the Corvette. Since I had it for the day, I plugged in my phone and gave it a whirl with my own tracks. I found it acceptable even pleasant -- except for the bass. Not the way you may be thinking: the subwoofer completely overwhelms the cabin with flabby, slow, one-note bass that is quite annoying. I looked at the tone settings and found them to be set reasonably. I am a bit of an audiophile and I have a nice system at home. I realize you shouldn't expect to do critical listening in a sports car but this was bordering on ridiculous. Actually, I am hoping that the subwoofer system was broken or that the owner had done something to it. It was that bad. I am eager to hear your feedback here. I can't imagine a GM/Bose audio engineer listening to that bass and saying: "yep, that's the sound we want in our 65K halo car".

INTERIOR AMENITIES

I think GM has done a good job with the Corvette interior. It is not Audi or MB quality but it works well. The graphic design of the infotainment screen is a little cheesy but the functionality is very good. The switchgear looks nice and works well. The dashboard screen is also very good -- I think they put some serious effort in that area. The heads up display is bright and the way that it nestles right at the hood line is cool.

The seats (non-competition in the model I rented) are comfortable and hold you in place well. The touch points all feel nice. The plastic around the dash binnacle and down over the cupholders isn't great. But I understand that can be optioned up if desired. Despite being a 2015 with about 25K miles, the car I rented didn't have much in the way of squeaks or rattles (that could just be the luck of the draw).

THE COMPETITION

The cars I am comparing to the Corvette are an odd lot:

• Alpha Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
  • Porsche Boxster S
  • Tesla Model 3 Performance
  • Cadillac ATS-V
Here are my very brief comments on each:

Giulia QV: Very quick with very good handling, beautiful design, very practical.
Questionable Italian reliability, will depreciate like a like a stone thrown
in a lake. Nonetheless, if this car had the option of a reasonable manual
transmission, it would be a very formidable choice.

Boxster S: Watchmaker level interior, mid-engine balance, turbo now gives it
very reasonable torque. Uninspired external design, very expensive for
what it is, a very "clinical" feel.

Model 3 Performance: Extremely fast (noticeably faster than the 460hp Corvette
despite its weight), efficient and eco-friendly, over the top tech, comfortable
and practical. Not really a drivers car (wants to drive itself), range restrictions
require planning, feels like a really nice but boring appliance.

ATS-V: Fast and very well balanced for a car this size, hides its weight really
well, turn in is particularly nice, agressive external design. Turbo V6 is a
little crude, interior is dark, and I have driven an ATS for several years so
nothing is new but the power.

THE VERDICT

It may sound like I am a bit down on the Corvette. But overall, I enjoyed the experience. This would be a daily driver for me so I need to be sure. What's the call?

Last week I put in an order for a 2019 Corvette Z51 7speed. After all is said and done, I am looking for something special and fun for my next car. Of the cars I was looking at, I think the Corvette fits that bill best. Given my personality, I expect my friends to rib me a bit for choosing such extroverted car. But I am not getting younger and I would like to see what it is like to have a V8 before they are all gone. I expect my build to be near the last of the C7 generation (estimates are I will see the car in June).

After driving the Tesla, in the long run, I think electric cars are going to win big in the future. It could be that my next car after this one may be electric. But for now, I am ready to join the Corvette crew. I look forward to sharing my delivery experience on the forum when the car arrives in a few weeks.
The following 12 users liked this post by Tallis77:
65fastback (04-22-2019), Big Lebowski (04-22-2019), blkvet6 (04-23-2019), dyoung (04-22-2019), HEC13 (04-23-2019), Jeffer (04-22-2019), LowcountryBob (04-23-2019), repo czar (04-22-2019), SilverGhost (04-22-2019), Slynky (04-22-2019), TimD11 (04-24-2019), Zymurgy (04-23-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:37 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Nice write up and welcome. I think you will really enjoy the C7 a lot more when you get your M7. The Tremec M7 with rev match is a lot of fun. You will also appreciate the passionate corvette community, forums, etc. vs. some of the other cars you mentioned.

I was looking at the Tesla as well and felt the same as you. It is fast but it lacks character and that is what worries me most about electric cars. They are pretty boring. That said, I am driving a Grand Sport vert with the M7. Top down, rowing your own gears and winding out the the engine with the NPP exhaust, well that is about as good as it gets for me.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Well documented review thanks for sharing.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Well since you didn't own one, or probably read the manual, you probably didn't know how to adjust the steering feel or the exhaust settings (if it had the NPP exhaust).

Did the rental have the mag ride shocks? (if it's not too late, you really should add that to your order...) Yes you can learn to have a root canal with no anesthetic, but I'd prefer the option....lol

Also as far as not being quick. did you try the launch control? An auto C7 is pretty darn quick. (yes, I have a M7, but so what..... lol)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

The car is obviously quick as it's stats prove, the platform is so good it hides some of the feel of how fast your going. I can be shocked sometimes when doing some spirted runs then look at the speedometer. The audio is decent, probably better then what you are stating IMO so maybe an issue with that one, it's not awesome though.

Enjoy the new ride.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 04-22-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:00 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,457 Likes on 759 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Decent write up, but I really dont get the feeling you have experienced true sports cars. I too have driven most you note and dont consider in the same class or league as Corvette I get the feeling the Corvette even makes you a bit nervous. You may want a vehicle a but more mundane frankly. Suburu WRX performance car? Lol. I torched one of those 2 Vettes ago with my 330HP C4. Last week another smart *** kid in front of me in one f'ed with me thinking it was fast. He couldnt pull away from me and I was at half throttle. I could have shoved my GS up his **** without a problem. Porsche Boxter? A Vette never even gets compared to that model Porsche, not even a Camen. Take it up a couple models for comparison. The Guilia is highly regarded but more comparable to a BMW 5 Series. Tesla? Electric may be quick for a couple miles, but driving silent life size slot cars doesnt do it for me. RX7 was a fun sports car in its day but again not near a Corvette. Modern, drop nose front? Probably the biggest rub I am reading on c8 is the drop nose look. It may make for more balance but not as good looking. The purists arent embracing it. In fact the highest value Ferraris tend to be the front engine models. Time will tell how the mid engine plays out. Corvette is an experience, a lifestyle, a brotherhood really. It is more than just a car. The only group I have seen more loyal and dedicated are Harley owners. As our instructors at Ron Fellows told us, a Corvette is a street legal race car you can buy at a Chevy price point. If is an amazing car actually. To me from what I read you need to first figure out what kind of car you want. A lot if apples to orange comparisons. Once you decide want class of car you want, then it gets easier to choose the model. It sounds to me something like a Guilia or the like may be what you need. If you want a smile on your face every time you drive, go Corvette. I have had 4 and I couldnt wait to drive any one of them. On Weds I am heading to the Bash at the NCM and look forward to every mile. Can you say that about other cars on your list? That is what Corvette is about......it is more than most cars. I make excuses to drive it.....just my $.02.
The following users liked this post:
Slynky (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Not sure where you're getting the 'feels heavy' thing, it's lighter than all the cars you list as competition except for the boxster. Maybe because it's so planted? I guess the feel with the C7 is deceiving on a lot of levels. But the bottom line is, vs the competition you listed, the C7 will outperform most of those cars in most areas, and at a lower price. And if you need more straight line acceleration (you said you didn't...) then you can get a Z06. And none of the cars you listed as competition will turn heads like a C7, though that can be a negative for some folks.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

one thing to consider adding on is the vitesse speed controler. The throttle is a bit dead off the line the gadget lets you adjust the throttle take up at 5 it is linear. If you opted for the convertible get the wind blocker lets you extend the season of using it top down removes the residual buiffeting. The car lets you boulevard and is comfortable going slow but is ready to play with a good driver. Oh I agree with the mag shocks they are wonderful. Welcome and hope you enjoy it. Lastly wave to other corvette drivers it is part of the mystique
Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 AM
asc709
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with everything you said. I actually bought my Stingray without a test drive, and all of your impressions ring true of my first drive off the transport truck. I still love my car (1 year and 22,000 miles later) and I don’t see mysel ever falling out of love. I went with the A8 due to our traffic situations and pure laziness. Every now and then I want that M7, but overall I’m extremely happy.

The hood still baffles me. I never know exactly where the front of the car ends. I went 2LT for this reason because I had similar issues with my old Trans Am. Those cameras are handy.

I’ve noticed Corvette owners fall into 2 groups. The “brotherhood” group @gilot1 spoke of and the “mine’s better than yours” group. Luckily, there’s few C7 owners out here so we wave, thumbs up, talk to each other...most of us.

I have have the feeling that as you get to know your car and if you take Corvette Owners School (very highly recommend this) that you are going to be even happier with your choice. I’m amazed with the value of this car things like muddy bass are easily overlooked. You made a great choice!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Nice summary. When I test drove one I came away with similar feelings when compared to my previous Nissan 350Z. I've tracked both cars so understand how they feel in both daily driving and when being pushed hard.

Hood - yep, long with huge fender arches. On my 350Z its hood just sloped away and disappeared, visibility was great in the front, but the sides and rear where much worse then the C7. Even after driving my C7 for 8 months now I still have troubling judging where the front tires are. One thing that helps is raising the seat some to give a better forward view.

Low - I got used to this pretty quickly as my 350Z was pretty low as well. In fact in terms of ground clearance the C7 is about 1/2" higher but the seating position is lower. Combine this with a higher dash and center console so you feel like your sitting in a bath tub. The interior is tight which adds to this feeling. Once again lifting the seat helps. You know your low because you are eye level with a Camry's tail lights. Around SUVs you feel like you could drive under them! You do fall into the seat because your sitting on the floor with the car's frame running thru the door sills. This is very much like other exotic cars. Typical sports cars, even a Miata, your sitting ON the car, with the C7 you sit IN the car.

Weight / Grip / Width - its not so much heavy but its a BIG car. Parked next to my brother's Boxster GTS its not that much bigger but it sure feels HUGE. I believe the suspension damping adds to this feeling, its soft at first to give you a smooth ride, then firms up. So as you noted once speed increases it seems to shed pounds. The car becomes lighter and more responsive the more you ask of it terms of cornering. Mine has the mag-ride which is tremendous in this regard, it quickly became my favorite feature since you can tune the suspension as desired or as road conditions dictated. My brother's Boxster GTS is on a different level, its so precise and sharp. The C7 can manage the same, if not better, in the twisty bits but the turn-in is slower and more sloppy in comparison. However once you learn to trust the car it holds great... but the Porsche (and even my 350Z) felt more direct. There is a bit of disconnected feeling the C7, it might have to do with the electronic steering. Seems the C7 is tuned a little more on Grand Touring side thus making it a better daily driver.

Drama - the engine is like a diesel at low RPM, it has so much torque it just moves with zero effort. This gives it a "slow" feeling. The truth is its building speed and accelerates so effortlessly it doesn't feel fast but you look down and realize your at triple digits. I've taken off at medium throttle applications and asked my wife how fast she thought we were going. She always reports 30 MPH slower. You just don't get the feeling of quickness because that smooth power delivery. It rushes forward like a tidal wave, building in a surge that only becomes apparent when you shift gears (M7 here).

Audio - yes, sadly the stereo is that crappy. I have multiple comments in various threads here on why this is.

Interior - this is my first 'Vette because all previous models were full of GM parts bin plastic that was honestly so terrible it was embarrassing. The team at GM finally made a world class interior for this car. Leather, carbon, aluminum, microfiber... all top notch. The carpet and some plastics are still meh but the seats are great. I've got some squeaks and rattles (@24K in mileage), most seem related to the removable roof.

Competition - the only other car I considered was a Porsche Cayman. As mentioned my brother has a Boxster so I'm well versed in how it feels and drives. However its not practically in terms of storage and the while the mid-engine results in great balance the darn thing is impossible to work on. A simple oil change requires specialist tools to reach the filter and there is no dip-stick. Just too scary for me as I tend to keep my cars for 7-10 years. Prices and options climb quickly in the Porsche world. Color choices were limited in the used market (all I could afford) so there were too many trade offs with the German machine.

Welcome to the club
Old 04-22-2019, 11:37 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I don’t understand the getting use to the long hood-to my eyes I have a better feel where the front end ends seeing the long hood than a short hood in which you can’t see the hood at all like driving a bus except it has a hood you cannot see.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

Based on what you've written, try a Miata. And I'm serious.
The following users liked this post:
KCV (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by dashotgun
one thing to consider adding on is the vitesse speed controler. The throttle is a bit dead off the line the gadget lets you adjust the throttle take up at 5 it is linear.
I was about to say the same thing. A throttle controller and /or porting the t-body. It won't make the car faster, but it brings a linearity to throttle position.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good write-up and best of luck with the build process on your C7.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Its interesting that you mention that the car feels "heavy". In a way, I agree with your observation, because the Corvette does feel "heavy" compared to some other cars out there. I wonder if this is more a function of the steering weight and suspension setting than the actual weight of the car. I have a 2011 Prius that I drive daily. The Prius "feels" lighter than the Corvette, but it actually weighs the same. (Which is even more strange since the Corvette has more than four times the horsepower that the Prius has.) I also have a 1998 Camaro SS that weighs exactly the same as my Stingray, but it "feels" like a 5000 pound truck in comparison. (Probably due to the location of the engine, which is over the front axle, plus the solid rear axle, taken from Vega.) The Corvette blows both out of the water in all categories of performance.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 PM
jones238
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great Writeup

I think that's a wise choice! The engineering people must have stayed up late a lot of nights dreaming up all the intricacies of the C7. In that short of a time with the car you have only scratched the surface of what is going to take months to discover....like a kid with a long protracted Christmas!! It is a great experience!! Consider 2LT or 3LT for cameras and magnetic ride and other toys. And if you really want know what you have, take them up on the offer of 2 days at Spring Mountain. That's the most fun I've ever had in a car!!! And you get to take in that styling each time you look at it. I'm a bit of an audiophile also. It cannot compare with my listening room......was never intended to. Sound deadening mats and the rudimentary equalizer can make it reasonable sounding. FANTASTIC CAR AND BANG FOR THE BUCK!!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Rent before you buy, an excellent way to gauge the perfect car for you. Of course for the Tesla, if you've ever rolled your own pc or played with other printed circuit boards (PCB's), you know that on occasion, the magic smoke escapes from the PCB. Wiki magic smoke

Just like the magic smoke rolling from some pcb here:

Tesla Magic Smoke

Get notified of new replies

To Raw first impressions of C7 Corvette

Old 04-22-2019, 04:28 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Excellent views, and write up. I think you will enjoy the C7. Welcome to the forum, and post some pics when you get it home.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:49 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallis77
Recently, I have gotten serious about choosing a new car and a C7 Corvette is in the running. I have been lurking on this forum for quite some and it has been very informative. But nothing beats experience for making a call like this. So, I decided to rent a C7 Corvette through Turo for a day to see what it is really like. I recommend this approach: a day with the car was much more telling than a short test drive. I have never driven a Corvette before so I would like to share my raw impressions. I hope you find it fun and entertaining. I share my verdict at the end if you want to skip the write up.

THE CAR

I rented a 2015 Stingray Z51 A8 in 2LT trim in white with a black interior. That's about right for me: I prefer the narrow body style and I don't feel I need the power of the Z06. A little background: I have had performance cars in the past including an FD RX-7 and a WRX but I currently drive a Cadillac ATS 2.0L manual. I wish I could have found a manual C7 to rent but it is not surprising that no one would rent out a manual.

THAT HOOD

My first reaction on getting in the car was a hood that stretched way beyond what I am used to. It's now common for many modern cars to be "cabin forward" with smaller, sharply descending hoods. This would take some getting used to: the front corners of the car are tricky to judge. But I admit that it gives a kind of retro feel to the car that I find unique.

HOW LOW?

I found myself doing a controlled fall into the drivers seat. I was expecting this: my RX-7 was a low car. But the Corvette is remarkably low: finger tip low. What I mean is from the drivers seat, what kind of movement would you have to do to reach out from the open door and touch the ground? If you are in an SUV or truck, you would fall out and hurt yourself before touching the ground. Most sedans you have to twist and extend your arm to find the tarmac. Not the Corvette: you can just reach out and touch the road with your finger tip :-) I can get in and out well enough but it is something to consider if you have any mobility issues. It also poses some challenges in visibility. Its easy to get stuck behind a large vehicle and not be able to see ahead.

SUBSTANTIAL

When first driving away, I was surprised at how weighty the car feels. Being a sports car, I was expecting it to feel lighter. I realize that the car isn't a Porsche and certainly not a Lotus but it doesn't seem to hide its weight like other cars I have driven recently. My friend who was riding along with me commented right away from the passenger seat that it felt kind of heavy especially at low speeds. On paper, the Corvette is a middle weight so this impression was a little concerning. Part of it could be the steering feel and big tires but I think it is a bit more than that.

GET A GRIP

After tootling around a bit, I took it out to the backroads for a more serious drive. Here the car redeems itself from my first impression. When pushed a bit harder, the feeling of heaviness decreases, the balance feels good, the turn in is crisp, and the grip is quite astounding. Braking happens right now and, as I expected, there is plenty of power for this kind of driving. But I would definitely choose a manual. The A8 is okay but I found the delay from paddle activation to shift is longer than I would prefer. In the overall scheme of things, the A8 is most likely the faster choice but I prefer the control of a manual. Overall, I really like the way the car drives on backroads and that is one of my primary criteria for my next car.

ABOUT THAT WIDTH

More than once on my backroad jaunt, I found myself just clipping the edge of the admittedly narrow roads in spirited driving. It sometimes feels like the car barely fits in the lane. I can't imagine what it would be like in the wide body GS or Z06. I took it home and checked my smallish garage: it fits but without very much to spare. Nonetheless, I think this is something that you can get used to with additional experience. But no wide body for me even if I am giving up the benefits of wider tires.

HIGHWAY CRUISE

Next, I took the car out for a longer freeway drive. I have read a lot of the comments about road noise in the Corvette and I was worried that I had become spoiled by my current ride: the Cadillac ATS. I was quite happy to find in tour mode, highway driving was not problem in the Corvette. It's not like the Cadillac but nonetheless very reasonable: the suspension is not punishing and conversing with a passenger isn't an issue. My old RX-7 and WRX were much worse. I expect to take some road trips with my next car and this bodes well. I found out later that the owner had installed sound mats in the
hatch and other areas. That certainly seems like a thing to do.

DRAMA QUEEN

I haven't spoken much about straight line get up and go yet. To tell the truth, it is not my primary criteria for a performance car. Balance, suspension, feel, turn-in, braking, and acceptable power are more important to me than off the line acceleration. That's the reason I have been happy with lower displacement forced induction cars in my past. However, I feel that once in my life I would like to try a big, naturally aspirated V8 as a contrast to those cars.

I found the Corvette to be tuned to be very docile off the line unless you really punch it. Modern turbocharged cars actually get off the line pretty well but the power and torque tends to die off early. The Corvette is much more even in its power delivery but this can give the impression of not jumping off the line as quickly as you might imagine. At first, this seemed really weird to me. That is until I discovered that you really need to get on it to see what it can really do.

I found a nice freeway on-ramp with no traffic, made sure the car was in sport, and did a spirited rolling start. "BWAAAAH! (spit) BWHAAAAAH!" The motor explodes with sound and it moves very convincingly. The exhaust noise is so intense that it made me bit self conscious. If you are looking to go fast without drawing much attention, this motor is not what you are looking for.

The Corvette struck me as a bit of a drama queen: at low RPM when you are light on the go petal, the engine is very docile and almost quiet. But anytime you get on it, it wants to scream: "Look at me! I am power!" But I get it: it is fun as long as you a ready for the attention it brings.

TOP OFF

I have never owned a convertible and that's a bit sad. The few times I have driven a convertible with the top down I enjoyed the experience. But a true soft top comes with compromises. I generally like the look of a coupe, the mechanism for a convertible can be touchy, and there is usually more storage in non-convertible cars. The removable top of the C7 coupe seems like a nice compromise.

The day was nice and I pulled over and removed the top. It's reasonably easy to do and it fits in the hatch very well. Driving it this way was wonderful. Yes, there is some buffeting especially if you move quickly. But I thought this experience was great and I call it a definite win.

AUDIO ISSUES

Most reviewers generally like the audio system in the Corvette. Since I had it for the day, I plugged in my phone and gave it a whirl with my own tracks. I found it acceptable even pleasant -- except for the bass. Not the way you may be thinking: the subwoofer completely overwhelms the cabin with flabby, slow, one-note bass that is quite annoying. I looked at the tone settings and found them to be set reasonably. I am a bit of an audiophile and I have a nice system at home. I realize you shouldn't expect to do critical listening in a sports car but this was bordering on ridiculous. Actually, I am hoping that the subwoofer system was broken or that the owner had done something to it. It was that bad. I am eager to hear your feedback here. I can't imagine a GM/Bose audio engineer listening to that bass and saying: "yep, that's the sound we want in our 65K halo car".

INTERIOR AMENITIES

I think GM has done a good job with the Corvette interior. It is not Audi or MB quality but it works well. The graphic design of the infotainment screen is a little cheesy but the functionality is very good. The switchgear looks nice and works well. The dashboard screen is also very good -- I think they put some serious effort in that area. The heads up display is bright and the way that it nestles right at the hood line is cool.

The seats (non-competition in the model I rented) are comfortable and hold you in place well. The touch points all feel nice. The plastic around the dash binnacle and down over the cupholders isn't great. But I understand that can be optioned up if desired. Despite being a 2015 with about 25K miles, the car I rented didn't have much in the way of squeaks or rattles (that could just be the luck of the draw).

THE COMPETITION

The cars I am comparing to the Corvette are an odd lot:

• Alpha Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
  • Porsche Boxster S
  • Tesla Model 3 Performance
  • Cadillac ATS-V
Here are my very brief comments on each:

Giulia QV: Very quick with very good handling, beautiful design, very practical.
Questionable Italian reliability, will depreciate like a like a stone thrown
in a lake. Nonetheless, if this car had the option of a reasonable manual
transmission, it would be a very formidable choice.

Boxster S: Watchmaker level interior, mid-engine balance, turbo now gives it
very reasonable torque. Uninspired external design, very expensive for
what it is, a very "clinical" feel.

Model 3 Performance: Extremely fast (noticeably faster than the 460hp Corvette
despite its weight), efficient and eco-friendly, over the top tech, comfortable
and practical. Not really a drivers car (wants to drive itself), range restrictions
require planning, feels like a really nice but boring appliance.

ATS-V: Fast and very well balanced for a car this size, hides its weight really
well, turn in is particularly nice, agressive external design. Turbo V6 is a
little crude, interior is dark, and I have driven an ATS for several years so
nothing is new but the power.

THE VERDICT

It may sound like I am a bit down on the Corvette. But overall, I enjoyed the experience. This would be a daily driver for me so I need to be sure. What's the call?

Last week I put in an order for a 2019 Corvette Z51 7speed. After all is said and done, I am looking for something special and fun for my next car. Of the cars I was looking at, I think the Corvette fits that bill best. Given my personality, I expect my friends to rib me a bit for choosing such extroverted car. But I am not getting younger and I would like to see what it is like to have a V8 before they are all gone. I expect my build to be near the last of the C7 generation (estimates are I will see the car in June).

After driving the Tesla, in the long run, I think electric cars are going to win big in the future. It could be that my next car after this one may be electric. But for now, I am ready to join the Corvette crew. I look forward to sharing my delivery experience on the forum when the car arrives in a few weeks.
Get a MANUAL !!!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Here is my 2 cents. Alfa - find a good mechanic and buy an extended warranty. You will need both. Tesla - BORING. Takes the car feel out of the car. And hope you don't need any body work else you'll need a long term rental car. Porsche - I like them, but just can't get my brain around a turbo 4, no matter how good people say they are. CTS - Do you really want to do a repeat with a crude engine and dark interior? It's like marrying your wife's sister, only she weighs 30 pounds more than your ex-wife. As for the C7 - I agree with your comments, but owning a M7 and having driven an automatic, I can tell you there is a world of difference between the two. My only complaint about the C7 (and I'll use a quote from Consumer Reports) is "you need near acrobatic skills to get into and out of the car..." Being late 50's with stiff joints and a back that constantly lets me know who is boss I can say getting into the C7 in my garage with the door not fully open sometimes represents my greatest achievement that day. Once I'm in the car, oh baby, does it make me smile.

Buy the C7 with the M7 transmission. You won't be sorry.

Last edited by Jimbob26; 04-22-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Raw first impressions of C7 Corvette