C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Graph of C7 downforce

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default Graph of C7 downforce

Sorry to cross post but I thought some folks over here might be interested as well and I thought this was pretty cool.

In another thread I had posted where I took some info provided on this forum and elsewhere and calculated what I think is pretty close the coefficient of lift for the ZR1 with the ZTK package as well as the Stage 1, 2, and 3 aero configurations on the Z06. Just for fun I decided to create a match channel in Pi Toolbox to graphically show the effective downforce over the course of a lap at VIR. Now one big caveat is that I used the same speed trace for all 4 traces and that speed trace was from a lap in the ZR1. In a slower car the speeds would be lower and so would the downforce numbers but this gives you a straight comparison between the aero packages on the C7 widebody. I also inverted the values so downforce is positive and lift is negative. The black line was just there to show you where zero lift is.

The following users liked this post:
Z0chip (04-30-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

How are you measuring this?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
How are you measuring this?
Not measuring it, calculating it. I took the published downforce at a certain speed numbers to determine the coefficient of lift. Then the math channel just shows F=Cl * v^2.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Not measuring it, calculating it. I took the published downforce at a certain speed numbers to determine the coefficient of lift. Then the math channel just shows F=Cl * v^2.
Ooooh. Cool. Get some other popular cars in there !
Old 04-26-2019, 11:29 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I wonder if it would be possible to read shock data from the mag ride system to determine ride height differential as a function of vehicle speed to get real numbers on this?

Last edited by subieworx; 04-26-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subieworx
I wonder if it would be possible to read shock data from the mag ride system to determine ride height differential as a function of vehicle speed to get real numbers on this?
I've actually been working on a math channel to calculate weight transfer but it's not that simple. We have spring rates but my understanding is they are progressive and we don't have that curve. We also don't have the motion ratio of spring movement to wheel movement. Then there's the fact that accelerating, braking, road incline and camber, cornering, and even bumps create relatively big suspension movement compared to aero. For instance, the back straight at VIR is uphill and over a crest, the front straight has a kink in it. You might be able to get somewhere if you had data coasting on the bridge straight but I don't have that.

Get notified of new replies

To Graph of C7 downforce

Quick Reply: Graph of C7 downforce