C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Spring Mountain = fantastic

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Spring Mountain = fantastic

So this past weekend I did the ZR1 course at Spring Mountain. As everyone else before me has said the staff, track, cars, all of it is Top Notch. I really had no idea of the capabilities of the car until I did a hot lap with the instructor. Wow! Additionally, my wife did the Z06 class and what she learned about breaking, and general driving technique definitely make her a better passenger as well as a better driver of our ZR1. The classes are slightly different with more advanced and aggressive techniques taught in the ZR1 class and a less aggressive approach is done in ZO6 class Nonetheless we both got a lot out of it. Definitely want to continue to drive the ZR1 in that capacity just not sure I want to do that in my personal car just yet. I believe the next vacation will be back to Spring Mountain for a level one course. May as well learn as much as I can with somebody else’s car. LOL anyway if you’re an owner and thought about not attending I would rethink that. It really was a good time. Got me thinking of giving up sportfishing and taking up road racing!

Last edited by jamesw2066; 04-25-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 8 users liked this post by jamesw2066:
aaslanmd (05-05-2019), cartester (04-25-2019), cookfr (05-13-2019), HorsePowerAddicts (04-26-2019), JFKSebringOrangeZR1 (04-26-2019), range96 (04-25-2019), socalspringmountain (04-29-2019), ZR-1DUDE (04-25-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Flyjets
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Any suggestions/recommendations for a first timer on a track going next month?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

I have done classes in C5s there, C7 Z06, and CTS-V. Can't wait for the ZR1 class.

You will do fine - just listen to the instructors and have a good time with it.

D.
The following users liked this post:
socalspringmountain (04-29-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:12 PM
orclubduck
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 80 Posts

Flyjets,

My recommendation is to watch the Youtube videos on the ZR1 class so you can get a map built in your head of the layout you will be making numerous laps on. You will also get some pointers during the dialog.

Second, try and apply the knowledge they pass to you about braking and its effect on the balance of your ZR1 as you are entering the corners. Once you get the feel of controlling the weight transfer through your braking you will be able to exit the corners faster which is the key to fast laps. It only takes a few laps to realize how well designed our ZR1's are and what they are capable of.

Lastly, they give you a flash memory card for you to use with the PDR so you can record your laps. The flash memory card has a hot lap and a fast lap with an instructor at the wheel. Take your laptop and on your night in the condo between day one and two, watch the demo laps and make notes of the speed through the corners around the course. Takes mental notes, as knowing you speed on the second day in these areas will help you to know where you are losing time on your laps. It is easy to hit 125-130 on the back straight, man that was fun, but I picked up the most speed by knowing how fast I should have been going through the lower speed sections.

You are going to have a blast, I am sure you will be with a great group of distinguished gentlemen like I was...we all wanted more when they made us leave after the second day. I guess I could always join their Club....

Jeff

Last edited by orclubduck; 04-25-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Flyjets (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Good advice.

Thumb drive or SD card? Maybe they changed since my 2016.

D.
orclubduck (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 PM
orclubduck
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 80 Posts

Just changed it...SD card
ZR-1DUDE (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:26 PM
foot 1
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 117 Posts

Be careful it can become addictive ,there is nothing like running the **** out of somebody else s car ,I started going in 2010 for a ZR 1 class and just this past weekend we did another level 2 class ,my son who is now 21 has been driving out there since he was 16 ,we usually go twice a year ,and with the instructors help he has progressed nicely ,he was running 1:56s on the 2.4 mile north/south track this trip
Flyjets (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:53 PM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flyjets
Any suggestions/recommendations for a first timer on a track going next month?
Thanks in advance.
i guess my advice is too really listen to what they say about the capabilities of the car. Then Trust the car!.
You, like I probably have no idea the capabilities it has. You will be amazed after you have done serval track sessions and then you do a ride along with an instructor.
You will be in track-sport 1 settings for all your time on the track. if you’re in a manual car do not forget rev match. It is extremely important when downshifting at high-speed’s. No need for heel -toe driving with Rev match. So knowing what’s going on in that setting is worth noting. I knew about all the features of traction and stability control but hadn’t put that all together in my head as to how it relates to control of the car on the track. Understanding throttle steer and how your e- diff ( electronic differential ) functions in advance would have helped me initially. this is the first car I have ever owned with this level of sophistication. It truly is a race car. I had no idea that the differential always disconnects when the throttle has zero input. The fastest Drivers at Spring Mountain have a true understanding of breaking, throttle steer and literally coasting through turns with zero throttle input. If You can get that differential to release and get the car to turn with much less input from the steering wheel you’ll have much better exit speeds resulting in better laps. Huge lightbulb went off in my head. I’ve always driven fast and ended up with the third fastest lap time out of 10 ZR1 owners With a 1.51 Which is extremely slow when compared to the ZR1 best hot lap ever of 1.31. Also you will have the opportunity to do a small auto cross course which was a blast. I would suggest practicing launch control which is obtainable only in track mode for a better launch time in the autocross If you’re a competitive kind a person. If you come in first place you get a free hat. I happened to come in second out of 10 on that. So for a 50-year-old with little real track experience I held my own. LOL
Finally, don’t drive beyond your own personal comfort/skill level, but with that said I would have been faster and more confident if I had read this post a few weeks ago and done a little learning before hand.

Also, make reservations for the Pahrump Winery for dinner. Food was fantastic.Sample some of their wines and ship some home.!!
Also Watch your speed in town if you’re 40 in a 35 you’re getting pulled .Cheers!
The following 3 users liked this post by jamesw2066:
Flyjets (04-25-2019), socalspringmountain (04-29-2019), ZR-1DUDE (04-26-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 PM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Originally Posted by foot 1
Be careful it can become addictive ,there is nothing like running the **** out of somebody else s car ,I started going in 2010 for a ZR 1 class and just this past weekend we did another level 2 class ,my son who is now 21 has been driving out there since he was 16 ,we usually go twice a year ,and with the instructors help he has progressed nicely ,he was running 1:56s on the 2.4 mile north/south track this trip
oh yes, I want my boys out there with me at least once.Maybe I’ll be a track rat one day.

Last edited by jamesw2066; 04-25-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Flyjets
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Great tips! Thanks much.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:40 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I don’t what part of the MSRP covers the Spring Mountain ZR1 owners school. It has to be at least 3-4 grand...IMO if they had offered a $5000 discount for “deleting” it, it would still be well worth taking. I had lunch with a couple guys taking other “lower” Corvette programs at the time. I’m sure they are fine as well...BUT COMPARING NOTES, THE ZR1 SCHOOL IS AT A DIFFERENT LEVEL. Unless you are a real seasoned “track rat”, this experience will be a “bucket list” quality event. Additionally, I came away with a different feeling about the car... I was happy I bought it before. Now I am ecstatic about having bought it. Related to this, I think GM is going to have a heavy lift to get the C8 to beat the C7 ZR1 on the track. it won’t happen in the first couple years IMO.. SIGN UP IF YOU HAVEN’T YET... I guarantee you won’t regret it.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:44 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
I don’t what part of the MSRP covers the Spring Mountain ZR1 owners school. It has to be at least 3-4 grand...IMO if they had offered a $5000 discount for “deleting” it, it would still be well worth taking. I had lunch with a couple guys taking other “lower” Corvette programs at the time. I’m sure they are fine as well...BUT COMPARING NOTES, THE ZR1 SCHOOL IS AT A DIFFERENT LEVEL. Unless you are a real seasoned “track rat”, this experience will be a “bucket list” quality event. Additionally, I came away with a different feeling about the car... I was happy I bought it before. Now I am ecstatic about having bought it. Related to this, I think GM is going to have a heavy lift to get the C8 to beat the C7 ZR1 on the track. it won’t happen in the first couple years IMO.. SIGN UP IF YOU HAVEN’T YET... I guarantee you won’t regret it.
I wish they would let spouses take the class also.

Heck, I'll buy another slot - but they don't offer that as an option.

We always do the schools together,
D.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
I wish they would let spouses take the class also.

Heck, I'll buy another slot - but they don't offer that as an option.

We always do the schools together,
D.
From my understanding of things it is a strict rule: ONE STUDENT PER CAR PURCHASE- NO BUY IN OPTION.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

From my understanding of things it is a strict rule: ONE STUDENT PER CAR PURCHASE- NO BUY IN OPTION.
Yup - I called and confirmed. Kinda sucks to be honest.

D.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:29 AM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
Yup - I called and confirmed. Kinda sucks to be honest.

D.
I just put my wife in the ZO6 class which was a better place for her to start.Go back a second time and do a Level 1 course and you both can be in ZR1's if you wanted to.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by jamesw2066
I just put my wife in the ZO6 class which was a better place for her to start.Go back a second time and do a Level 1 course and you both can be in ZR1's if you wanted to.
She has done the Z06 class. I didn’t realize the ZR1 was used in any other classes. Thanks for the info. D.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:40 AM
jamesw2066
Instructor

I totally agree, i knew the car was special but really did not appreciate it fully until after the class.When I got home I literally opened the garage to see mine and was smiling at it like a kid at Christmas! Even if you never plan to track your car go do the Spring Mountain Class.
To date they have only had about 400 owners show up. so roughly 2000 people haven't even signed up. WTF.?
ZR-1DUDE (04-26-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain = fantastic

Old 04-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by jamesw2066
I totally agree, i knew the car was special but really did not appreciate it fully until after the class.When I got home I literally opened the garage to see mine and was smiling at it like a kid at Christmas! Even if you never plan to track your car go do the Spring Mountain Class.
To date they have only had about 400 owners show up. so roughly 2000 people haven't even signed up. WTF.?
Going later this year. My wife and I both took the Z06 class. It was great.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
Going later this year. My wife and I both took the Z06 class. It was great.
i am going to schedule as soon as I have my VIN.

D.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZR-1DUDE:
Rinaldo Catria (04-26-2019), Thomasmoto (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Another student in my class said that the ZR1’s are only used for the “ZR1 Owners School”, not for other courses there... he said the cars are still owned by GM and that even instructors need to be wearing helmets at all times in them, (not so for other cars). Can anyone on the forum verify if what I repeated above is accurate? It’s only hearsay.

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain = fantastic