Pinch weld adapters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 AM
Jackzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pinch weld adapters

Has anyone used the round aluminum pinch weld adapter along with the Quickjack. I’ve been trying to find something that would work using the factory jack points without damaging the valance since the valance hangs down a little below the pinch weld at the jacking points and I’m afraid to use a block . I did buy a couple different types of adapter to try out, but they are still a little too thick to squeeze in between the valance and pinch weld. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 04-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackzap
Has anyone used the round aluminum pinch weld adapter along with the Quickjack. I’ve been trying to find something that would work using the factory jack points without damaging the valance since the valance hangs down a little below the pinch weld at the jacking points and I’m afraid to use a block . I did buy a couple different types of adapter to try out, but they are still a little too thick to squeeze in between the valance and pinch weld. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
I'm with ya. But, up to now I've used blocks of wood to avoid stressing the rockers. And, more recently (like for more than a decade of C4 ownership), I've used the pinch weld on the frame forward and aft of the jacking points.

That said, I stumbled across some pinch-weld pads like you describe on AMAZON. Also, I believe SUMMIT RACING catalog has them. But...tempted as I am, I have had good luck using the "fore and aft" locations that work and avoid stressing (and cracking!!!) a rocker panel.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Workman:
Jackzap (04-26-2019), silverja (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I have not tried one of the adapters available but what I did was make a thick oak insert for the floor jack and slotted it to fit the spots on the car. I've used it a couple of times and it has worked out for me.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:19 PM
KurtK
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought some of the urethane type- so far they have worked well
Urethane Slotted Jack pads Urethane Slotted Jack pads
Old 04-26-2019, 03:51 PM
RalfKramden
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Not owning a QuickJack, I'm only putting this out there. Did you try regular hockey pucks, like you would for using a floor jack?
The following users liked this post:
Jackzap (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:04 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I've used the pinch weld on the frame forward and aft of the jacking points.
Originally Posted by RalfKramden
Did you try regular hockey pucks, like you would for using a floor jack?

This is what I do, and it works really well.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 PM
Jackzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Sounds like the block of wood or hockey puck should work fine on the inner welds for and aft the the tires. I wasn’t sure if you could use those points. I’ve looked into the slotted jacking pucks but didn’t look like it would work on the pinch weld behind the passenger front tire since there is a fuel line running right besides the pinch welds. It’s always good to hear the forums thoughts and advice
Old 04-27-2019, 12:09 AM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackzap
Thank you
I fully understand not everyone would be comfortable with this, but I just used a utility knife and shaved a little off the lower lip on the valance where it hung down lower than the pinch weld. Now I can easily use a block of wood or whatever else I choose and it hits the pinch weld without putting any pressure on the valance.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:19 AM
Jackzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I actually thought about doing the same thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Pinch weld adapters

Quick Reply: Pinch weld adapters