C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deliver or drive home from Bowling Green?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM
onetechyguy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Deliver or drive home from Bowling Green?

I will be placing an order soon and would like to do the museum delivery to experience that. I was thinking I would like to have the car shipped back to the Chicago area instead of risking damage, rock chips, etc before I can get it wrapped and also would like to break it in properly instead of all highway miles. Approx 400 miles

If doing museum delivery can the car be shipped directly to my house or does it need to go to a dealer near me first?
or am I better off skipping museum delivery and just having it courtesy shipped to a dealer near me?

Are most of you shipping or driving the car home from bowling green?

Last edited by onetechyguy; 05-17-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Popular Reply

05-17-2019, 02:20 PM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I drove mine home 500 miles. Took some back roads and some highway to vary the RPMs and had an appointment to get the oil serviced the day after I arrived home. Our NCM delivery experience was absolutely the best car experience in my life. We did not get the plant tour but we have a raincheck for that and track time good forever and when the tours re-open we will go back. I cant say enough good things about the NCM staff and our whole experience. It will be something we will always remember. We also did a little touring while in KY, went to Mammoth Cave and visited Makers Mark distillery. All of this and a little rain here and there and not a single scratch on the car. Then again We plan to drive our Z06 - it will not be a garage queen. I had over 1800 miles on it in less than 2 weeks. Took it to the Tail of the Dragon last week:

Old 05-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Markss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive!
Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Drive it

Regards
Chip

Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I drove mine home, but I did not take the Interstates. By using more rural highways, you will naturally vary speeds as you go through towns, etc. Here's my thread on my experience: My NCM Delivery and Trip Home.

If you want to do the NCM delivery but don't want to drive, you'll have to arrange shipping separately. It would be shipped directly to your house. You'll have to register the car in your state yourself.

If you are really paranoid about rock chips, you can use Xpel Tracwrap temporary Paint Protection Film.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 05-17-2019 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
twowinns (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Do museum delivery and have an enclosed carrier waiting in BG and have them deliver if you want the museum delivery experience W/O worrying about any damage.
If you don't want the Museum experience just order it from you local dealer and they will ship it when car is completed, no courtesy delivery involved.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Just drive it.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by bjones7131
If you don't want the Museum experience just order it from you local dealer and they will ship it when car is completed, no courtesy delivery involved.
Bad advice. He should order through one of the large dealers (to get the best deal I suspect) and do a courtesy delivery via his local dealer
Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Just the Facts

Our museum delivery was a nightmare. A virtual clown car of mistakes by Museum staff. Though none were funny. I even asked for a refund of the thousand bucks. The director told me let the buyer beware. We shipped our car back. Covered transport with one of the big names will cost you a dollar per mile give or take.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would just drive it home, but if you want to be sure it doesn’t get a chip on the car, do what Zymurgy says above.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Bad advice. He should order through one of the large dealers (to get the best deal I suspect) and do a courtesy delivery via his local dealer
I agree but OP didn't say anything about best deal, was just asking about shipping verses driving. I ordered a 16 stingray from a very very small dealer that beat all the big dealerships and I checked them all. Don't mean to get off track with his post, I am done, LOL.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:27 AM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I have done 5 museum delivers and always have driven the car home to California, but that's why I buy..... to drive it. No better way to get "in-touch" with your new Vet!!!!

However, if you won't be able to do the plant tour, I would pass on the museum delivery. They have definitely slipped on the "wow" experience the last couple of deliveries I did.
The following 2 users liked this post by tome:
Pete01 (05-19-2019), twowinns (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 PM
twowinns
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I love to drive, so I’d drive it home. You have just as much chance to get a rock chip in Illinois, as you do on the drive back home.

When I bought my 2014 Stingray in 2016 from a dealer in Albany, NY, I flew up and drove it back to Dallas. I wouldn’t trade that four day experience for anything, and it was a wonderful way to get to know all aspects of the car.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:44 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree drive it...I drove mine home from Akron las weekend. Also, forgot about the Highway...take the backroads...you will vary the speed, past some cool small towns, etc. The corvette Nav as an option to avoid highways or you can plan your route out yourself import to your favorite nav software.

Just an idea. In any event ….congrats
Old 05-17-2019, 12:46 PM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by onetechyguy
I will be placing an order soon and would like to do the museum delivery to experience that. I was thinking I would like to have the car shipped back to the Chicago area instead of risking damage, rock chips, etc before I can get it wrapped and also would like to break it in properly instead of all highway miles. Approx 400 miles

If doing museum delivery can the car be shipped directly to my house or does it need to go to a dealer near me first?
or am I better off skipping museum delivery and just having it courtesy shipped to a dealer near me?

I pick up my first Corvette at the museum next week. I wanted to have the experience one time. Wife and I are making g a nice weekend of it, driving to East Tennessee to visit relatives, Nashville to visit friends, then will take our time driving back to Dallas.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I drove it home the 2 hours from the NCM, I just shifted gears a lot more to vary the engine RPM.

If you can do the delivery and get the tour and maybe go visit the track, its worth it.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:55 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by tome
I have done 5 museum delivers and always have driven the car home to California, but that's why I buy..... to drive it. No better way to get "in-touch" with your new Vet!!!!

However, if you won't be able to do the plant tour, I would pass on the museum delivery. They have definitely slipped on the "wow" experience the last couple of deliveries I did.

I did the R8C on my ‘08. But w/o the plant tour, I’m not interested. I’ve done plenty of plant tours too, but to me, without it, it’S just not worth the price. I am currently negotiating placing an order on. Z06 and going through the same thing. If the local Dealer won’t come down to the price (or at least close ) I will likely be ordering from the forum dealer and doing courtesy delivery with my local.

Originally Posted by naylor99
I pick up my first Corvette at the museum next week. I wanted to have the experience one time. Wife and I are making g a nice weekend of it, driving to East Tennessee to visit relatives, Nashville to visit friends, then will take our time driving back to Dallas.
Do you know about The Natchez Trace Parkway? When I drove my ‘08 back to Conroe, I took that route. Downside is speed limit is 55 I believe, but the upside it it makes it easy to vary the speed and go easy on the car for the first 500.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace_Parkway

p.s. Congratulations on your first Corvette.

Welcome to Corvette Heaven.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-17-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to make your responses look like this.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

If you drive the car for 400 miles on the interstate, you will get a few rock chips. so if you don't want that, call some wrappers in bowling green and see how much they charge. There is a motel 8 right across the street from the museum and plant. Its actually pretty nice, great breakfast. If the shop can do it in a day or two, that could be an option. Nice town to explore and you know you will loose a day in plant tours and going through the museum.

Get notified of new replies

To Deliver or drive home from Bowling Green?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by onetechyguy

A factor in my decision to take museum delivery was reports that their PDI prep was better than most dealers. And it was excellent, including the Stage 3 aero installation. Only exception was that the differential was a full quart low, which is a recurring problem from the factory. With the plant tour it's definitely a worthwhile experience. Regarding paint protection, I had your identical concern. I applied blue painters tape to my nose and fender flares for the 200-mile trip home. Tape is available in 4-inch widths, and it was about a two-hour job under the museum's protected portico. After getting home I immediately removed the tape to prevent adhesive residue. Because my appointment for wrap was 6 weeks away I then applied Xpel Trac-Wrap. Even on my lift that was a much more tedious job (6 hours) and not something you'd want to undertake at the museum. (And my workmanship was anything but pretty. Doing that yourself will convince you that you want the most skilled tech you can find, not one based on price. The good shops will treat you fairly and any higher cost will be worth it.)

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-17-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Drive that baby home. Grab yourself a Novistretch Bra, take it with you when you pick up the car. It takes very little time to install the snaps needed to hold it in place (all you need is a stubby phillip's head screwdriver.), and 2 -3 minutes to install the bra itself. Heck, maybe the Museum has them, and will install the snaps for you. You never know until you ask.

If you ride interstates home just use some common sense. Stay far back from semi's, and don't follow cars to close if at all possible.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM
kjsmithtx
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If this is a dry sump car, remember to plan for oil change at 500 miles.

Quick Reply: Deliver or drive home from Bowling Green?