C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bell Housing (ALuminum) Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 PM
tjpgi
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bell Housing (ALuminum) Cracks

1961 Corvette w 1963 327 4bbl

Found pictured cracks in my aluminum bell housing. The machine shop that is rebuilding my engine seems reluctant to want to weld these cracks and indicates it will be quite expensive (couldn't give me a price and feels he won't know until he starts fabrication). This shop has an excellent reputation nationally. I was surprised and thought some simple welding was all that was required. What do you guys think? Should I just find a shop that does nothing but welding or bite the bullet?

Old 05-20-2019, 05:52 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Cast Aluminum or Iron can be very temperamental.........I will check with our welders and respond................
Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

No reason that bellhousing can't be successfully TIG welded. Looks like someone may have tried to pull a transmission up to the block with the bellhousing bolts?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:13 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

They appear to be all the way thru the metal wall. Also appears stress from starter torque when cranking started the cracking. At this point you have two reasonable choices:

1. Find a new bell housing.

2. Get price from Jerry McNeish (or other very qualified aluminum welder) to do a complete weld repair. A good TIG welder should be able to do, but initial cleanup and prep + weld time may make the job cost prohibitive.

Now if you have a best friend that welds daily for the chemical for nuclear industry, then............

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 05-20-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The bellhousing is cracked on both sides, not just starter side. And those bellhousings are a little pricey.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:26 PM
playzwithcars
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Bell Housing (ALuminum) Cracks

If you are not going to weld it yourself, I suggest you try to find a used bellhousing that isn't cracked. By the time you pay someone to grind all of these out, do the preheat prep and then try to post finish it so it looks acceptable, you will be better off buying a bellhousing. With the crack going from the pivot ball hole to the tranny location hole, you would probably need to prep the weld there also to allow facilitation of the transmission.The issue with this part is, that I'm sure there is oil and grease inside the crack and pores, and this will have the tendency to pop the welds. To open the crack out enough to get the years of grime will take a lot of material away. This is another possible reason why the shop is leary is they do not know if someone tried to clean it already. If they used items like brake cleaner, then the volatiles are toxic to the welder.

Last edited by playzwithcars; 05-20-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dcamick (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Ouch.

While the cracks can be weld repaired (not the easiest thing, but can be done), there may be a residual problem with this bell housing - that of being out of factory measurement specification due to the stretching that resulted in the cracking (and I think Mike might be right - looks like attempting to pull it tight to the engine using the bell housing bolts - always the wrong thing to do) which is not assured of being corrected by welding. A stretched bell housing can result in a badly misaligned transmission input shaft to pilot bearing mating fit up. I would have a professional machinist measure it against the original GM drawings, or a known good bell housing - or at least confirm that the front and rear mating surfaces are parallel. Additionally, on the off chance that the bell housing is parallel but "racked" I would want to use a precision run out gage to check axial runout once assembled.
The following 3 users liked this post by Easy Rhino:
alexandervdr (05-21-2019), DansYellow66 (05-20-2019), dcamick (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:04 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

I had very similar cracks repaired in my 68 GT500 bell housing. I ground and cleaned them, then found a welder who didn't hesitate to weld. I, however, made no attempt to conceal repair. That may be what makes or breaks a replacement. He charged me less than $50 to weld.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Ouch.

While the cracks can be weld repaired (not the easiest thing, but can be done), there may be a residual problem with this bell housing - that of being out of factory measurement specification due to the stretching that resulted in the cracking (and I think Mike might be right - looks like attempting to pull it tight to the engine using the bell housing bolts - always the wrong thing to do) which is not assured of being corrected by welding. A stretched bell housing can result in a badly misaligned transmission input shaft to pilot bearing mating fit up. I would have a professional machinist measure it against the original GM drawings, or a known good bell housing - or at least confirm that the front and rear mating surfaces are parallel. Additionally, on the off chance that the bell housing is parallel but "racked" I would want to use a precision run out gage to check axial runout once assembled.
10-4 to all of that. Replacements aren't cheap.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Swept57
I had very similar cracks repaired in my 68 GT500 bell housing. I ground and cleaned them, then found a welder who didn't hesitate to weld. I, however, made no attempt to conceal repair. That may be what makes or breaks a replacement. He charged me less than $50 to weld.
That's certainly cheaper than a replacement one, if they're expensive.

Originally Posted by MikeM
Replacements aren't cheap.
I'm getting that idea. If the OP can get a cheap weld repair, the measurements should not cost much, and there's a good chance it would be in spec or an offset locater pin would make it align, so the expenses of "fix and use" would seem to be cheaper than replacement. Does that pass the common sense test?

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 05-20-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Significant weld repairs (and this one probably qualifies) can distort the metal and screw up precision tolerances. I have fought this many times in the chemical plants. Careful stitch welding by the welder may eliminate this issue for this part, but maybe not. Agree with Rhino that some dial indicator checks and flatness checks should be done after the welding on this part.

The grease and oil in the bell housing cracks will complicate the repair, but again some good prep work ahead of the welding will mitigate the problem.

It's really all about the economics.............so OP should price it out.

Larry
Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If that were my bellhousing, my concern would be the aluminum warping from the welding heat. If it becomes warped, getting the transmission and clutch properly aligned would be a major problem. It might not even be possible.

My suggestion, which the OP is free to ignore, is to have the bellhousing securely bolted to an iron block and to have an iron transmission main case bolted to the trans mounts while it is being welded.

Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by jim lockwood:
Mr. Wizzard (05-20-2019), ptjsk (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Another option is an aftermarket bell housing,,, it won't look original and I don't know the cost, but you won't have the alignment or welding problem concerns...
Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the welding heat will also anneal the metal.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

I'd play it safe and replace the thing, and carefully inspect the mating surface on the block. If something is irregular there, or something foreign was trapped between the bell and block when the bell was bolted on the last time, it could explain what you're seeing.

Live well,

SJW
Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM
playzwithcars
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

There is one on ebay bin for $300. I have no affiliation. Ebay #173854734852
Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

New bell housing or get a scatter shield...hang the cracked one on the garage wall.

Get notified of new replies

To Bell Housing (ALuminum) Cracks

Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM
tjpgi
Advanced

Thanks for all of the posts and recommendation. My machinist is a great guy and is honest as you would ever find, so when he tells me there's a problem with something I take it as the gospel. I have owned this car since 1988 and have been trying to improve it (with a tight budget) every year or so. This past November I had a rod knocking, so me and the neighbor pulled the trans and engine as a unit and began disassembly and transport to the machine shop (including the bell housing). My goal for the car is to have a mechanically sound,dependable, fun driver. I'll see what he comes up with but will probably go with an after market or used BH, if repair is not possible.
Thanks

Last edited by tjpgi; 05-20-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:08 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

A LOT of good, and valid information above. I have ZERO issues with any of the comments.
BUT, I have had alum bell housings welded. I DO HAVE a dear friend that is a genius at welding alum (which is mandatory).

Two things.
I do feel it can be welded (if done properly by a VERY experienced person who welds alum) and saved.
These housings (TWO, one for 60, one for 61-2) are becoming scarce and quite pricey. At one time, I felt $300 for one was ridiculous, but if it is in good shape, that is not a bad price.

Not only were these open bottom alum housings used on 60-62 Corvettes, but they were also used on full size 60-62 Chevys with a Hi-perf 348/409 (and 63 only 409 cars). So there were a lot of them used.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:20 PM
tjpgi
Advanced

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
A LOT of good, and valid information above. I have ZERO issues with any of the comments.
BUT, I have had alum bell housings welded. I DO HAVE a dear friend that is a genius at welding alum (which is mandatory).

Two things.
I do feel it can be welded (if done properly by a VERY experienced person who welds alum) and saved.
These housings (TWO, one for 60, one for 61-2) are becoming scarce and quite pricey. At one time, I felt $300 for one was ridiculous, but if it is in good shape, that is not a bad price.

Not only were these open bottom alum housings used on 60-62 Corvettes, but they were also used on full size 60-62 Chevys with a Hi-perf 348/409 (and 63 only 409 cars). So there were a lot of them used.
I am meeting with my machinist tomorrow to pick up my engine etc. and see what the verdict is about the BH. I have contacted 2 sellers of these bell housings on ebay $300-$450. My car has been out of commission since last Nov. and I anxious to get the re-installation underway. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Bell Housing (ALuminum) Cracks