C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 roll racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:09 AM
Ivan.ls3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 roll racing

I have stock 2008 c6 base just wondering if yall use the paddle shiffter when roll racing or just leave it on S. Sometimes the paddle shiffters have a lag and cost me the race.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:33 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

You need to change your shift point (shifting sooner) to compensate for the lag.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 AM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

get it tuned by chuck Cow or another competent tuner, you can do EFI live with him or the guy I recommend Mike C. at Vengeance racing in cummings Ga. you can't go wrong with Vengeance racing!
The following 3 users liked this post by jonjoy:
Chuck CoW (05-22-2019), Fletch F. Fletch (05-23-2019), myredhead1 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

A friend of mine just did a transmission tune for his auto C6 base, he seems very pleased with the results. I’ll back up the other guys point, can’t go wrong with Vengeance.....you get what you pay for so keep that in mind.

I am curious though....how is roll racing an auto C6 base with no mods? What is beating you? What are you winning against? Any reason why you’re staying stock?

Last edited by 73DBG; 05-22-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:53 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Give me a ring...

Originally Posted by jonjoy
get it tuned by chuck Cow or another competent tuner, you can do EFI live with him or the guy I recommend Mike C. at Vengeance racing in cummings Ga. you can't go wrong with Vengeance racing!

Give me a ring... If you want an AMAZING car.... My Tune and CoW BOOSTER! will get you where you need to be.

The only thing better than that is to add my AutoCal serial wideband add on.

This way, no matter how fast you drive or the type of driving you do.... We record your runs LIVE and there's no DYNO BS.... REAL LIFE.... REAL DATA... REAL FAST.

There is NOTHING better than that.....

(except that you're the NUT doing 160 and I'm looking at the logs here in my office chair listening to music..... and NO TICKETS for ME! )

Chuck CoW
The following 4 users liked this post by Chuck CoW:
08Jetstream (05-27-2019), LuthRavin (05-29-2019), mikeCsix (05-22-2019), myredhead1 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan.ls3
I have stock 2008 c6 base just wondering if yall use the paddle shiffter when roll racing or just leave it on S. Sometimes the paddle shifters have a lag and cost me the race.
Of course one could actually learn the machine, anticipate the lag, and shift just before the engine peaks out. This is how we did it in the "old days" and we didn't have tachs or rev limiters.

But of course I realize, in the march to (mandated) auto-driving cars, nobody cares about learning this stuff anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_Ed (05-27-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:22 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bruze
Of course one could actually learn the machine, anticipate the lag, and shift just before the engine peaks out. This is how we did it in the "old days" and we didn't have tachs or rev limiters.

But of course I realize, in the march to (mandated) auto-driving cars, nobody cares about learning this stuff anymore.
I agree learning the car is best practice, personally I’ll never own an auto corvette! Just my preference, some have age or health reasons why an auto makes sense for them. At the same time technology and tuning has come a long way so doing a transmission on an auto that’s used for racing is just smart practice, I think what’s causing the OP some L’s down in Mexico is it’s a completely stocks auto base model. I’d throw some mods on that dude and then have it tuned...engine and transmission. 🇺🇸
Old 05-22-2019, 05:31 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I actually attempted a 60 mph roll race with a buddy. A6 with intake and full exhaust and a can tune (no tranny tune) and I used paddles . 60mph in 2nd gear - 3rd honk and floored it ..... didn't take long til I had to shift.

I'm in the middle of getting my email tune from diablew (engine AND tranny) and it will be interesting to see the difference. debating if I should install my vitesse controller after the mod.

either way, I lost since my buddy's car is a 2015 challenger scat pack with supercharger, headers and dyno tune. HAHAHA he was suprised actually because he thought he would pull away much quicker. But, i'll try again after my tune to see the improvements.

so to answer the question, yes I would use paddles since you can be at the rolling RPM already and don't have to wait for the down shift.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 73DBG
I agree learning the car is best practice, personally I’ll never own an auto corvette! Just my preference, some have age or health reasons why an auto makes sense for them. At the same time technology and tuning has come a long way so doing a transmission on an auto that’s used for racing is just smart practice, I think what’s causing the OP some L’s down in Mexico is it’s a completely stocks auto base model. I’d throw some mods on that dude and then have it tuned...engine and transmission. 🇺🇸
Age and health issues are not the only reasons that people buy the A6. Quick and consistent launches with error free shifting can be a compelling reason. The OP could help himself a lot more by purchasing HPT and learning how to make the car work to fit his needs.

I initially ran mid 12's bone stock and managed to squeeze into the high 11's with some mods and other people doing the tuning including the forum traveling tuner. Since I got HPT and did all my own work and tuning, high 10's with only bolt-ons are the new norm.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:48 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Age and health issues are not the only reasons that people buy the A6. Quick and consistent launches with error free shifting can be a compelling reason. The OP could help himself a lot more by purchasing HPT and learning how to make the car work to fit his needs.

I initially ran mid 12's bone stock and managed to squeeze into the high 11's with some mods and other people doing the tuning including the forum traveling tuner. Since I got HPT and did all my own work and tuning, high 10's with only bolt-ons are the new norm.
Yeah you can get better more consistent launch’s with autos, personally for that to be my determining factor I’d be expecting mid 8 seconds 1/4 though that’s just me though, wouldn’t give up the manual for a 10 second car.

OP I’m not sure of the gear ratio on auto LS2, but in my C6z I do 60 rolls from 3rd.....if I can actually get guys to do 60’s....dudes around me seem to always want 40’s and lower😒
Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

you'll have less "lag" using the paddles to start in 2nd or 3rd and shift to wherever you're going than you will by hanging in 6th and waiting for the car to disengage all clutches, rev to 5k, and get you into second all on the 3rd honk..

That, and it's far less wear on the transmission to drop down to 2nd gear by gear than to demand a neutral skip-down sync and then go full power afterward, potentially before the clutches have all completely filled.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Then you better keep the one that you have for a long time because, like it or not, that's the way thing are going
Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

If I were to roll race with my stock LS2 auto, -- ideally -- I would want to start at about 50-55, locked in second gear -- it will be right about at the beginning of the power band. The horn honks, floor it.

From a standing start I would definitely just put it in "S" and let 'er rip, for the reasons Hoxxie has posted. Although anybody I see drag racing a stick on Youtube shifts slower than my late mother did. The cars being equal, there's not much to fear from them.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:53 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 449er
Then you better keep the one that you have for a long time because, like it or not, that's the way thing are going
Oh I plan on it....they won’t get me to turn. Plenty of C6z’s left out there so I’m not concerned.....and the auto craze will ebb and flow like anything....once everyone gets tired of just holding the wheel and smashing the gas pedal the “want” for a real drivers car will return....hopefully Chevy steps up....not sure they will....but I’d place a large bet Porsche will.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:50 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yeah you can get better more consistent launch’s with autos, personally for that to be my determining factor I’d be expecting mid 8 seconds 1/4 though that’s just me though, wouldn’t give up the manual for a 10 second car.

OP I’m not sure of the gear ratio on auto LS2, but in my C6z I do 60 rolls from 3rd.....if I can actually get guys to do 60’s....dudes around me seem to always want 40’s and lower😒
Roll racing is basically a horsepower race, since most people don't/can't learn launch techniques. The smart roll racers understand where their power band and gear ratio works best and where the opponents work worst. If I raced you and you're starting in 3rd gear to avoid a missed 2-3 shift, I'd want a 45 mph roll to about 110-115. My A6 at WOT shifts to 2nd at 48 mph, so I'd have the full use of that gear until the shift to 3rd at 84 mph and I can retain that gear to mid 120's. While you're counting on the lower rpm torque from 50 until you hit your horsepower around 80, I've been effectively using my lower power to my advantage and then bail out before your horsepower overcomes me at higher speeds.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:19 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Not a fan of roll racing. I know how to launch from a dig.
HOXXOH (05-27-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:57 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Roll racing is basically a horsepower race, since most people don't/can't learn launch techniques. The smart roll racers understand where their power band and gear ratio works best and where the opponents work worst. If I raced you and you're starting in 3rd gear to avoid a missed 2-3 shift, I'd want a 45 mph roll to about 110-115. My A6 at WOT shifts to 2nd at 48 mph, so I'd have the full use of that gear until the shift to 3rd at 84 mph and I can retain that gear to mid 120's. While you're counting on the lower rpm torque from 50 until you hit your horsepower around 80, I've been effectively using my lower power to my advantage and then bail out before your horsepower overcomes me at higher speeds.
I could start in 3rd gear at 40 and it wouldn’t matter man....it’d be ugly. Even if I did miss third it still wouldn’t matter....same results would happen just a little later... nobody would roll you at those odd *** mph’s either 45-115???? start points can vary and I’ll always try and accommodate dudes to give them what they believe their best start point is....but 100mph is the buy in.

Some dudes like 1/4 mile track runs, some like Mexico rolls, some like 1/2 miles it’s that simple. So trying to say “Oh I can hit gears or whatever is silly....I mean good for you and all 👍🏻 but why are there people swearing by the auto for “consistency in launches”? Because it’s true and works. I said for me personally giving up the manual for a 10 sec 1/4 isn’t worth it....Now sub 8.5....I might think about it. I built a roll race 1/2 mile car....on purpose....damn sure wasn’t an accident, I also like my axle/diff/tranny in one piece. Everyone has their preference nothing wrong with that.🇺🇸

Last edited by 73DBG; 05-23-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 roll racing

Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I could start in 3rd gear at 40 and it wouldn’t matter man....it’d be ugly.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1

Ok now that you highlighted it is funny, but not exactly how I intended it to be lol, maybe some context would help. It’s also way more blunt in text form and it really wasn’t necessarily meant to come off that way....yet...

I say that from experience, when I finished the car and threw the meth kit on we went to Mexico for some runs. Ran what some would consider a “max effort N/A C6z” he had a fully built/forged engine making 650whp. He was telling everybody he need to be beat and 60 rolls only....I showed up and he alll the sudden wanted 40’s. It was still chilly down here air temps in the 50’s and me not having much seat time I agreed to the 40 rolls and said “I’ll just start from 3rd”(I actually don’t think he thought I was serious ) any way made a few runs I started from third at 40mph and he got bus lengths put on him. I did assume it probably wasn’t likely Hoxoxo was making that power anyway. Also ran a C6 base heads/cam 250 shot last week and he had a similar fate....as well as an auto FBO 2018 ZLI.....same results. So knowing that is why
he got that statement, because it’s factually accurate

Its all on video too👍🏻🇺🇸🦅🦅🐌

OP sorry man it’s your thread. I said it once already but I’ll say it again. I definitely think the trans tune would be beneficial I’d just hold off until you do a round of mods. Good luck and stay safe when your in 🇲🇽 !

Last edited by 73DBG; 05-23-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Ivan.ls3 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

At 60 mph you should be in 2nd gear if roll racing in a manual car.

Quick Reply: A6 roll racing