C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Dad's Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Silence Kid
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dad's Cars

Under better circumstances I wouldn't be posting here, but these will be my weekend:

My task is to get one or both of these running again, and drive/tow one or both of them from NorCal to SoCal with the aid of my brother. Probably need to clean gunk out of the fuel lines and filters/carbs - since that's what my dad needed to do at least yearly; the cars always sat for long periods while my dad was busy and neither were driven for over a year since he died. The '57 needs some wiring/interior pieces installed and other random things, but is mostly complete.

These were both resurrected from husks by my Dad (with the help of teenage me) in the mid/late nineties - though the '57 only got painted and near completion much later; if anyone was ever familiar with Glenn Allen in Clovis, CA that car was his, before it was my dad's. I'll be dealing with tuning four total Carter WCFB carbs between them. The '59 has a Muncie, the '57 has a cast iron two speed Powerglide (so my mom could drive it.) I've only driven the '59 once, and I'm the only other person my dad ever allowed to drive it - super heavy clutch and gear change, wheel under your nose, pedals a mile away. Quite an experience.

Dad also had 2001 , 2009 , and 2018 Corvettes my mom still owns - And he sold me his 2004 Z06 a couple years ago (which unfortunately someone rear ended at a red light and totaled after six months of my ownership.) I replaced that car with a 2000 Z28 6 speed, but I also have a '75 280z and am a recovering Lotus owner, so with any luck I'll have the skill to keep these running and take them out on occasion (not sure whether anyone else in the family has the patience.)

Sorry I didn't get a better pic of the '57 in its more completed state last time I was up there; I didn't really have the presence of mind while I was dealing with the rest of my Dad's affairs. Figure I might as well sign up proactively here, as I plan on those WCFBs causing some head-scratching Will possibly post more in days to come, depending on whether I'm boringly successful at my endeavors or wind up needing assistance.

Last edited by Silence Kid; 05-24-2019 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcb55-210 (05-26-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:48 PM
scotty t
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 104 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Modified

Good luck with your mission. I wish i could offer assistance, but i'm a long way away. I too wound up with my Fathers 57 that He and I rebuilt in the 80's.

Last edited by scotty t; 05-24-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:04 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Appears you had a great relationship. Nice cars, but great Fathers are priceless. Best wishes.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:31 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I also am sorry for your loss. I recognize the road sign in one of the pictures you are about 3 miles from me.
Is this note asking for help or reporting your planned jobs?

Best of luck and you were lucky to have such a collector in your family.

Mark
Old 05-25-2019, 06:59 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Sounds like you made some great memories with your dad. I'm betting that he appreciated the time with you very much.

You're in good hands with the collective knowledge here. The CF is a great resource. Those carbs aren't too complicated. Just be sure the brakes are in REAL good shape before your long drive, and maybe grease the whole front end (especially kingpins) before you go if you haven't already.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for posting those pictures. They are a treasure. Sorry for the loss of your dad. I'm sure his memory will live forever in his cars you've acquired. Its always special to be able to keep the cars within the family like that. Please feel free to post more pictures and keep us posted on your journey.

Get notified of new replies

To Dad's Cars