C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaning towards ordering a 2019 Stingray with Z51, opinions on LT1 reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:01 PM
onetechyguy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Leaning towards ordering a 2019 Stingray with Z51, opinions on LT1 reliability?

Hi, after remotely thinking about spending the extra and stretch to get a Z06 I decided that my original thoughts about getting a Base with Z51 is really all I need. I have driven the Z06 and while the power is awesome I can’t see myself even remotely using that anywhere where I live.

I am thinking about going with a 2019 2lt M7, mag ride which will be an awesome looking, performing car for the least expensive price.

My my question is since the base, z51’s & the GS’s all use the LT1 motor I would assume it’s a great strong motor if left stock. Is it just as reliable long term as an LT4 would be? I understand the LT4 has forged pistons also.

This will not be a daily driver. Mostly an after work, weekend car. I don’t plan on driving it hard, use the power once in a while but want to make sure this engine is still a good choice. Thanks
Old 05-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The LT1 has experienced relatively few problems and shown a high degree of reliability. I think you've made a great choice.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That would be the most bang for the buck..
With the M7 you get away from the A8 torque converter issues. With the M7 keep it OUT of ECO mode and you do not go into AFM cylinder deactivation mode and drop to 4 cylinders....
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (05-26-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Oneguy,
The performance dual mode exhaust does sound good but you could always go aftermarket.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:26 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguychuck
That would be the most bang for the buck..
With the M7 you get away from the A8 torque converter issues. With the M7 keep it OUT of ECO mode and you do not go into AFM cylinder deactivation mode and drop to 4 cylinders....
I have heard this multiple times to stay out of ECO mode, why ? When you are cruising on the freeway in ECO mode on 4 cyl u would get fantastic mileage and step on it when u want to , does it harm the car?
Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM
onetechyguy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the eco mode is ok to use if you have the M7 trans. I believe with an M7 it will not go into v4 mode at all unless you put it in Eco. With the A8 even in sport or touring it can still go into v4 mode which can cause the shuddering issues people are having.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:46 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Boss,
I am sure there will be volume on this topic.
I am old school but taking a reciprocating engine turning at speed an in an instant activating another set of lifters to manage the shutdown of 4 cylinders just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. As I said, I have my bias and it is to keep an engine as simple as possible to avoid issues. The more that is going on the more likely for something to happen. If Chevy did not use the LT1 across its' entire line I doubt they would have made it with AFM for the Vette but it is in various vehicles that must have the highest CAFE numbers possible. The AFM cylinder deactivation may save you 1-2 mpg at most but at what cost? It may be fine and have not heard of any M7 engine issues but mine would never see ECO mode. Most I know never use ECO as well but Again, that is just my bias....
Old 05-25-2019, 12:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

That's correct. M7 only goes V4 in eco mode. In the A8, it still goes V4 in most other modes.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The LT1 motor is very reliable. You made a good choice.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:26 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

Boss,
I am sure there will be volume on this topic.
I am old school but taking a reciprocating engine turning at speed an in an instant activating another set of lifters to manage the shutdown of 4 cylinders just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. As I said, I have my bias and it is to keep an engine as simple as possible to avoid issues. The more that is going on the more likely for something to happen. If Chevy did not use the LT1 across its' entire line I doubt they would have made it with AFM for the Vette but it is in various vehicles that must have the highest CAFE numbers possible. The AFM cylinder deactivation may save you 1-2 mpg at most but at what cost? It may be fine and have not heard of any M7 engine issues but mine would never see ECO mode. Most I know never use ECO as well but Again, that is just my bias....
Ok hear you... other manufacturer like Honda uses it very effectively and there you dont have the choice, car will automatically go to eco mode or cylinder deactivation at cruising speed

I don't plan to use eco mode anyways but wanted to ask.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:12 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 419 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's correct. M7 only goes V4 in eco mode. In the A8, it still goes V4 in most other modes.
C, Do you think this is a plus or minus?
Old 05-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

LT1 is very reliable. Just like any other manufactured engine, nobody is perfect, but this is a very solid power plant. Especially coupled with the M7.

As far as your question regarding forged pistons in an LT4 VS non-forged in the LT1, the added pressures of supercharging require the stronger pistons. You can't really say one if more reliable when really the forged pistons are needed by having to handle 650HP. They are both equally reliable engines.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 05-25-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

I am biased but I think being able to avoid V4 mode is a huge plus. If I could not disable the AFM I would not purchase the C7. I understand there is only about 5-7% of vettes have an issue and that as long as the car is in warranty chevy will keep throwing fixes at it however when the warranty is up then you are on your own.
There is a reason why the Z06 and ZR1 do Not have AFM or any other performance vehicle that I can think of..AS I said, I am biased and do not like the idea of AFM with cylinder deactivation....
Old 05-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Boss, be aware that Honda's ECO mode does NOT deactivate cylinders. It only remaps the throttle and its shift settings.
I do not know of any other manufacturer who uses the AFM with cylinder deactivation but I could be wrong.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by V Vette
C, Do you think this is a plus or minus?
V, it's a plus for me, because one has total control over when it goes V4, which can't be done in the automatic without a non-OEM solution. I do use eco mode from time-to-time on a long highway cruise, but never on a normal commute or errand.

I don't think V4 harms the engine at all, but there's a prevalent theory around here that it's part of the TC reliability problem on the A8.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-25-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:19 PM
goldend
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Boss, be aware that Honda's ECO mode does NOT deactivate cylinders. It only remaps the throttle and its shift settings.
I do not know of any other manufacturer who uses the AFM with cylinder deactivation but I could be wrong.
Dodge has cylinder deactivation. They call it MDS I believe. I had it on my 2010 Ram Sport Truck.

Dennis
Old 05-25-2019, 05:57 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I have a 2017 Stingray 2LT with the 7-speed manual. The "V4" mode only activates when the car is in 'ECO' setting and I am driving at a steady speed with very little throttle input. My girlfriend has a new 2019 Stingray 1LT with the 8-speed automatic. (Both cars have the NPP performance exhaust option.) Her car will indeed go into "V4" mode with the selector in WEATHER, ECO, TOURING or SPORT........but we have never tried it set to TRACK. She doesn't even have 200 miles on it yet.

The 6.2L LT1 engine (which comes in the Stingray and Grand Sport) is based on a design that dates all the way back to 1955. The old small-block Chevy V8 has a long history of reliable performance and longevity. Ford and most other car makers have long since switched over to OHC designs, but GM has kept the old pushrod engines for the Corvette and for their trucks & SUVs. Sometimes old-school is best. The OHV V8 engines are great for low-end torque.

Your engine life should be the least of your worries on the Corvette.........especially with proper care & maintenance. I suspect there will be other issues (electronics, etc.) that will crop up long before you experience major engine trouble. The LT4 is probably stronger because it is expected to be good for another 200 ponies AND able to handle supercharging. I have never driven a car equipped with the LT4, but I suspect it will be just as bulletproof as the LT1 with adequate care.

Regarding the Z51 option on the Stingray, I don't think you really need it for a normal daily driver or a weekend car. If you track the car or drive it fast enough to need stronger brakes, then perhaps that might be the way to go. The Z51 cars have the dry-sump oil system, which requires a bit of extra TLC with the maintenance. It also costs more, but is worth it to those who want the bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, larger wheels & tires, yadda, yadda, yadda. Of course, the Grand Sport will automatically give you the dry sump oil system and even better brakes, tires, etc., etc.

Whatever Corvette you buy, you will enjoy it. GM makes them so many different ways and with so many trim levels that there is pretty much a Corvette for everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaning towards ordering a 2019 Stingray with Z51, opinions on LT1 reliability?

Old 05-25-2019, 06:29 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 241 Posts

id skip the z51. the base car is fast 'enough' and handles well 'enough' that its not a thing. it basically means that your choice is either base or grand sport. in which case you could save the money from the z51 and put that back in your pocket or just use it for NPP. values on this car are dropping hard due to the C8. theyre practically giving them away, you just have to bargain hard.

never be afraid to get up and walk, they hate that. theres literally always another dealer thatll do a little better.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 02:30 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

2019 2lt Base/Z51 M7 MSRC Convertible == perfect C7
Old 05-26-2019, 02:32 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by phalse
id skip the z51. the base car is fast 'enough' and handles well 'enough' that its not a thing. it basically means that your choice is either base or grand sport. in which case you could save the money from the z51 and put that back in your pocket or just use it for NPP. values on this car are dropping hard due to the C8. theyre practically giving them away, you just have to bargain hard.

never be afraid to get up and walk, they hate that. theres literally always another dealer thatll do a little better.
If he gets the non-Z51 base, trust me, he will want MSRC.

Quick Reply: Leaning towards ordering a 2019 Stingray with Z51, opinions on LT1 reliability?