C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brief Question - air intake filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:10 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Brief Question - air intake filter

Hey Folks,

I've had my car for about 6 months now, and it has roughly 66k miles. I am going to DIY inspect the air intake filter this weekend!

I assume it is original. Should I replace it regardless? Or can they be cleaned and reused? If it should be replaced, can anyone advise on the GM, OEM part #?

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

I replace regardless.

Paper filters I assume, could be cleaned (soap & water - Harley Davidson says OK to clean and reuse their paper filters).
Once you install new paper filter, as maintenance, one can use a leaf blower and blow out the filter ever so often and don't forget to clean out the air box (leaves et al).

But best to just replace.

Paper filters filter better than foam (K&N) especially if you reside in a dusty area.

GM/ Delco brand is fine. Depending on your Vette's years I believe there is a difference in part numbers.
Cultrag (forum vender) can assist and has a parts diagram on their site.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
KingCorvette93 (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 11:54 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I replace regardless.

Paper filters I assume, could be cleaned (soap & water - Harley Davidson says OK to clean and reuse their paper filters).
Once you install new paper filter, as maintenance, one can use a leaf blower and blow out the filter ever so often and don't forget to clean out the air box (leaves et al).

But best to just replace.

Paper filters filter better than foam (K&N) especially if you reside in a dusty area.

GM/ Delco brand is fine. Depending on your Vette's years I believe there is a difference in part numbers.
Cultrag (forum vender) can assist and has a parts diagram on their site.

Good luck.
Will replace, thanks!
Old 06-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Hitesh Sonegra
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there. Curious if you replaced it yet and with what? I am considering replacing mine with K&N drop in filter as opposed to a CAI.
I've had my c6 for a week now. The filter is not super dirty or anything but, though to replace with K&N as the cost is about $40 more than a factory GM one

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:25 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by Hitesh Sonegra
Hi there. Curious if you replaced it yet and with what? I am considering replacing mine with K&N drop in filter as opposed to a CAI.
I've had my c6 for a week now. The filter is not super dirty or anything but, though to replace with K&N as the cost is about $40 more than a factory GM one

Cheers!
I'm going to replace it with a factory, OEM unit. Aftermarket filters provide a very marginal flow increase at the expense of more debris getting into the engine.
Satch0922 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 01:26 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
I'm going to replace it with a factory, OEM unit. Aftermarket filters provide a very marginal flow increase at the expense of more debris getting into the engine.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:31 AM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

And just where are you getting all this filter info that now makes you a filter expert? The K&N actually traps more dirt due to the oiled media and it actually breathes better due to the structure of that media, wash a paper filter? You ever wash a newspaper? Cheap paper filter why would you even try?
Old 06-16-2019, 02:03 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jonjoy
And just where are you getting all this filter info that now makes you a filter expert? The K&N actually traps more dirt due to the oiled media and it actually breathes better due to the structure of that media, wash a paper filter? You ever wash a newspaper? Cheap paper filter why would you even try?
100% and the K&N flows more than 50% more than the OEM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

Harley says washing their paper filter is okay.

But note is has a wire support so maybe not considered a 100% paper filter.
To me it physically looks like a similar build/ type as a Vette paper filter.

Not really a cheap paper filter I believe the cost is $30 to $50.
Below is a cut and paste from an owner's manual.

All FWIW.

See Figure 1. The engine air cleaner is a paper/wire mesh air filter element.

Refer to Maintenance Scheduling → Regular Service Intervals → Regular Service Intervals: 2007 Sportster Models. Remove air cleaner cover and inspect filter element at proper intervals. Under dusty conditions, inspect more often.
The paper/wire mesh air filter element should be washed in luke warm water with a mild detergent.
WARNING
Compressed air can pierce the skin and flying debris from compressed air could cause serious eye injury. Wear safety glasses when working with compressed air. Never use your hand to check for air leaks or to determine air flow rates. (00061a)
  • Allow filter to either air dry or blow it dry, from the inside, with low pressure air.
  • Do not use an air cleaner filter oil on the Harley-Davidson paper/wire mesh air filter element.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

I read through some threads like this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ir-filter.html

Last edited by KingCorvette93; 06-16-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Satch0922 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:46 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It's pretty simple. If you want the best filtration, a somewhat dirty Donaldson outperforms all the rest. If you want the most power, don't use any filter. Everything else is a compromise, so pick your poison.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
KingCorvette93 (06-16-2019), Satch0922 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 12:26 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Actually agreeing with me or sarcasm?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:43 PM
Satch0922
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The biggest waste of time is to argue what has already been argued 100 million times. Custom made cold air intake systems, yes.... K&N drop in vs. OE....no. Been there, wasted the $$.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by Satch0922
The biggest waste of time is to argue what has already been argued 100 million times. Custom made cold air intake systems, yes.... K&N drop in vs. OE....no. Been there, wasted the $$.
Woo
Old 06-17-2019, 07:27 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

If your OEM filter provides all the air your engine needs without restriction (and it does), a bigger, badder, freer flowing, carbon fiber, whatever..... isn't going to make more power. You can't get less restriction than "none". Check it yourself. Put a vacuum gauge between your air filter and your throttle body and check for restriction. Go WOT and read the gauge. If there's no vacuum (there won't be), there's no restriction. Adding a filter with 1000% more flow won't make you even one more HP.

A CAI that gets you a higher percentage of cooler air will make more power. Adding a "better flowing" filter to the stock CAI won't. If you believe it will, by all means, spend your money.
The following 3 users liked this post by old motorhead:
GRCTampa (06-22-2019), KingCorvette93 (06-17-2019), Satch0922 (06-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Brief Question - air intake filter

Quick Reply: Brief Question - air intake filter