C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Road Noise-Rear Wheel Well

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:07 AM
jrobin1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Road Noise-Rear Wheel Well

Last week I purchased a 93 Corvette (first time owner) and on the ride home learned a lot about the Corvette "Ride and Road Noise." I got a lot of noise from the rear so I inspected the rear wheel well, I noticed that the liner has a 1-2 inch gap across the top exposing the inner cavity of the fender. I thought something was missing so I checked a 92 Corvette and it was the same. Does anyone know why the gap in the wheel well liner exists? I was thinking that a lot of the road noise may be coming from there and that if I could fill it someway that would help reduce it. Is there a reason I should not consider this option? Has anyone here done this and if so, what material did you use and how did you do it?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Unlike the front liner, the rear wheel well liners are one-piece units and can easily be unscrewed and completely removed. (I do this each spring when I clean up the rear suspension) Thus if you want, you could put some water resistant sound deadening material on top of the liner prior to re-installation. Many folks have also removed the all of the carpeting in the rear area of the car and installed sound absorbing material under the carpet. If you use the search function you can find pictures of where folks have done this.

As to why the gap was not filled in with some material at assembly ....... it's a sports car not a Caddy.

Quick Reply: Road Noise-Rear Wheel Well