C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about setting rear toe on 76 coupe

Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 AM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ? about setting rear toe on 76 coupe

I think I know the answer but when setting the rear toe the 1/8" is divided between both rear tires so it would be 1/16" per wheel when shimming trailing arms. Correct?
Thanks

Phil
Old 06-19-2019, 02:35 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I didn't know that the rear tires received any toe adjustment, other than to be dead-straight. They are 'followers' to the front tires. The front tires need to have some amount of toe IN to prevent the car from wandering, or hunting.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I didn't know that the rear tires received any toe adjustment, other than to be dead-straight. They are 'followers' to the front tires. The front tires need to have some amount of toe IN to prevent the car from wandering, or hunting.
Thanks for the answer but all of the specs I can find all say 1/8" toe in on rear end so that was how I was going to set up my trailing arms after just replacing the t-arm bushings.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:05 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes, the toe in should be 1/16" per side
Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Rear toe-in on a C3 is extremely important as due to the rear suspension design it will toe out on bump. 1/8" toe-in is absolute minimum (and yes, it is total for both sides or 1/16" per side). For track use vintage racers will set it at 1/4" or more to avoid toe out on corner exit (toe-out makes it unstable and can result in a spin out).
Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by H8 mondays
I think I know the answer but when setting the rear toe the 1/8" is divided between both rear tires so it would be 1/16" per wheel when shimming trailing arms. Correct?
Thanks

Phil
Before you set the rear toe you should set the thrust angle to make sure the car will push straight during acceleration. Once the thrust angle is set then you can adjust for total toe.

Is an alignment shop doing the work, or are you DIY the alignment ?.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Yes, the toe in should be 1/16" per side
Thank you that is what i thought but wanted to be sure it too much work to do over with out asking.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:42 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Originally Posted by zwede
Rear toe-in on a C3 is extremely important as due to the rear suspension design it will toe out on bump. 1/8" toe-in is absolute minimum (and yes, it is total for both sides or 1/16" per side). For track use vintage racers will set it at 1/4" or more to avoid toe out on corner exit (toe-out makes it unstable and can result in a spin out).
This will be a toy for the wife as she always wanted a C3 after her first ride in one back in high school. so i will be using 1/8" total for rear set up.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:51 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Before you set the rear toe you should set the thrust angle to make sure the car will push straight during acceleration. Once the thrust angle is set then you can adjust for total toe.

Is an alignment shop doing the work, or are you DIY the alignment ?.
I will be taking the car to a shop to check my work and correct my mistakes if needed but I thought I would give it a try and see how close I come to getting this right. It's about 10 miles from the house to the alignment shop and I don't want to abuse the tires or risk a wreck with bad handling on my way there
I have always learned best by doing the work but this is new to me. It still seams the harder i work the luckier i get.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

This will be a toy for the wife as she always wanted a C3 after her first ride in one back in high school. so i will be using 1/8" total for rear set up.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you should set it any higher than 1/8" (re-reading my post it does sound like I do). Higher toe settings are for race use only.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:13 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

I will be taking the car to a shop to check my work and correct my mistakes if needed but I thought I would give it a try and see how close I come to getting this right. It's about 10 miles from the house to the alignment shop and I don't want to abuse the tires or risk a wreck with bad handling on my way there
I have always learned best by doing the work but this is new to me. It still seams the harder i work the luckier i get.

Thanks for the help
So your ability to DIY will depend on how you measure thrust and total toe. If you use strings then expect it won't be close and will require (correct the mistakes) But for 10 miles you should be fine. But with some basic equipment you can DIY an alignment and never need the alignment shop again.

eg. here is my example to measure thrust and total toe.

Total toe

Thrust

Camber / Caster

Last edited by cagotzmann; 06-19-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:24 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

When you measure rear thrust angle is that making sure toe on both sides is equal in relation to longitudinal axis of the car? In other words both rear wheels have the same toe in and not just total toe so the car isn't dog tracking? Thanks.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 06-19-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ? about setting rear toe on 76 coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ? about setting rear toe on 76 coupe