C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] C-1 vs c-2

Old 06-24-2019, 11:49 AM
fozdyck
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C-1 vs c-2

I have owned c-1 cars in the past, and have now purchased a c-2 which I won’t get possession of for 2 to 3 weeks. My question is how much better is the c-2 in handling , braking , ride , and any other way that may be of importance, the c-2 does not have pb,ps and is a 327 -300hp car , only option on this car is am/fm radio thanks in advance
Old 06-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,519 Likes on 2,783 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Better is relative. The stock suspension and steering on a C1 is an antiquated design, but properly maintained is adequate. A C2, particularly ‘65 and up, is significantly improved and can be made even better with some reasonable mods. They are also a bit more roomy and I think feel more confident to drive. As I said, the rest is relative to your expectations and desires.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The C2 has independent rear suspension and does NOT have the old center-link, king pin front steering arrangement of the C1 basically. Moreover the C1 has an "X" based frame whereas the C2 has a ladder type frame...so you sit "on" the C1 frame but a bit "in" the C2 frame. Going straight down a level road in good condition on radial tires assuming both cars are in proper mechanical form ? Not a ton of difference.. Start pushing either car in curves and at speed, yeah, you'll notice the difference real fast...

I had both for a few years and sometimes drove them both (a 61 and 63) on the same day....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-24-2019 at 12:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vetintheblood (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:02 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have both. The short answer is that the midyears doing everything better. Handling braking (65-67), ride, comfort etc. The only thing the solid axles do better is attract a crowd wherever you go. Both great cars
corvettekent (06-26-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

One of the differences in the ride is the cost of the ride.
This is one instance where better rides cost less.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

C2, much roomier. Added front disc brakes on the C1, made a big difference. I drive them pretty easy. Also power glide on the C1 and 4 speed on the C2. Both a lot of fun.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM
fozdyck
Advanced

dang I knew that and yes I have the 4-speed , thanks for that also how can I find out if it had white wall gold wall or black wall tires
Old 06-24-2019, 04:59 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by fozdyck
dang I knew that and yes I have the 4-speed , thanks for that also how can I find out if it had white wall gold wall or black wall tires
You could check for the original spare tire if it still is with the car.

I agree my 66 drives much better than my 60, but those solid axle cars have my heart. Someone once said on here a C2 will always get a look going down the road, but people will break their neck looking at a C1 passing by.

Good luck, make sure to post some pics!
65Bob-bo (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Zanny1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by fozdyck
I have owned c-1 cars in the past, and have now purchased a c-2 which I won’t get possession of for 2 to 3 weeks. My question is how much better is the c-2 in handling , braking , ride , and any other way that may be of importance, the c-2 does not have pb,ps and is a 327 -300hp car , only option on this car is am/fm radio thanks in advance
Several years ago I had a '58. It rode like a truck. I am sure there are things that could have been done to improve the ride..... but my '65 is a totally different ride. Easy to steer, nimble, comfortable, even my wife likes it and she is into foreign cars more than American stuff. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 PM
fozdyck
Advanced

Originally Posted by mr.precision
Several years ago I had a '58. It rode like a truck. I am sure there are things that could have been done to improve the ride..... but my '65 is a totally different ride. Easy to steer, nimble, comfortable, even my wife likes it and she is into foreign cars more than American stuff. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks for the insight, my last was a 58 as well and know exactly what your saying , am looking forward to the 66 , had a previous post on here that had me worried about many things on this car however since then I have had it checked out with nothing but positive feed back from a 76 yr old lifetime c-2 guy so bought it sight unseen , I’ve bought this way before with my Harley’s and 69 camaro so not real worried ,
Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I totally agree
Old 06-25-2019, 04:03 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by capevettes
I have both. The short answer is that the midyears doing everything better. Handling braking (65-67), ride, comfort etc. The only thing the solid axles do better is attract a crowd wherever you go. Both great cars

While all posts in this thread are accurate this one sums it up best in the fewest words.

Not know more about your car than what you have posted MY preference for YOUR car would to immediately put PS on it. We have all gotten used to creature comforts over the years and this would be the minimum option I personally would enjoy and make the car more pleasant to drive.

On another note, I participated in your thread about the value of the 66 Coupe you were looking at. I am assuming this is the car you bought. I hope it is all you are expecting when you get it and that I was wrong in my assessment of the car. All any of us had to go by on the car were VERY poor pictures and your description of it. You have not posted in that thread since you purchased the car. You are new to this site and you will soon learn that if you do not follow up on threads like this you create that leave questions unanswered member will often ignore your future threads. I am sure you have more detailed info and better pictures now that you had the car inspected. It would behove you to go back to that thread and follow up.

Last edited by 68hemi; 06-25-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I looked for years for a C2, drove several, and ended up with my '61 because it was a solid buy and appealed to me. Now, 4 years later, and having looked at and driven several MORE Sting Rays, I'm not that hot to get a C2, as I prefer the first gen cars. I fit well in my '61, that's part of it, but overall, the dash and interior of the early cars is much more appealing to me, along with the go-cart driving experience, and I like the '50's styling as well. I would be more likely at this stage to add a '56-'57 to my collection rather than a Sting Ray. Still, if the right '64-'66 roadster came along, you never know!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:40 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Originally Posted by 68hemi
While all posts in this thread are accurate this one sums it up best in the fewest words.

Not know more about your car than what you have posted MY preference for YOUR car would to immediately put PS on it. We have all gotten used to creature comforts over the years and this would be the minimum option I personally would enjoy and make the car more pleasant to drive.

On another note, I participated in your thread about the value of the 66 Coupe you were looking at. I am assuming this is the car you bought. I hope it is all you are expecting when you get it and that I was wrong in my assessment of the car. All any of us had to go by on the car were VERY poor pictures and your description of it. You have not posted in that thread since you purchased the car. You are new to this site and you will soon learn that if you do not follow up on threads like this you create that leave questions unanswered member will often ignore your future threads. I am sure you have more detailed info and better pictures now that you had the car inspected. It would behove you to go back to that thread and follow up.
OP,
Concur that capevette’s post was concise and helpful. I have zero interest in C1s, but can see the technical differences.

However, while it’s great when folks follow up on their posts (purchases, repairs, etc.), don’t worry- not all members will “ignore your future threads” if you don’t...

Enjoy your car and post pics when you can!
ChattanoogaJSB (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:05 PM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

I would second the PS addition, makes the car handle much easier. Being a C2 guy, I was once offered a C1 for $1500 in 1978. A super deal even back then. I drove it around the block and declined the sellers offer. Didn't like the oversized steering wheel, and the straight axle seemed to "find" every bump and crack in the road. The term "lumber wagon" came to mind. Always like the styling. A friend had a red/red 61 and whipped my butt at every car show when it was peoples choice and a non correct judged show. Wrong motor and all, his car drew more attention than my FI 65 coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To C-1 vs c-2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] C-1 vs c-2