Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Is it time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Is it time to buy?

As ZR1's keep dropping and are now in the $40k range, making the jump from a Z06 looks like a good idea. I still cannot bring myself to sell my Z though, I would just add the ZR. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Innovate; 06-25-2019 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
reasonable suspicion (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

You know my answer Ben... the 2012 models came w the adj side bolsters in the seats. at least mine did... They hug you like the Corbeaus… It is my understanding that the 12's, 13's got these seats. However... For me personally, if I would have found a nice 09-11 I would have bought it. fortunately for me, my 12 was within my budget and I didn't think twice.

My C6Z was raw and I loved it. the good thing is I sold it to a friend so I will see it from time to time.

I believe the C6ZR1 will only appreciate down the road. ( 5-10 yrs).. I also believe the LS7 powered C6Z will be very sought after. I am pretty sure in a few years that I will buy another as the higher mileage ones are now in the mid to low $20K range....

Just my opinion.. If it is within your budget, I say buy one!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by CBMZR1
You know my answer Ben... the 2012 models came w the adj side bolsters in the seats. at least mine did... They hug you like the Corbeaus… It is my understanding that the 12's, 13's got these seats. However... For me personally, if I would have found a nice 09-11 I would have bought it. fortunately for me, my 12 was within my budget and I didn't think twice.

My C6Z was raw and I loved it. the good thing is I sold it to a friend so I will see it from time to time.

I believe the C6ZR1 will only appreciate down the road. ( 5-10 yrs).. I also believe the LS7 powered C6Z will be very sought after. I am pretty sure in a few years that I will buy another as the higher mileage ones are now in the mid to low $20K range....

Just my opinion.. If it is within your budget, I say buy one!
I am not too worried about the year or side bolsters. I just like the whole upgraded drivetrain lol. I would grab something $50k or less with 30k miles. For what I have in my car I could have a 800hp ZR or 1k on nitrous. Is the ZR not as raw? To me right now I am more worried about power and the ZR is rwd King unless one runs a Calvo TT Viper lol. At that point I bring out the Busa.

I may give it a year and see where life and the market goes.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

**** I feel like everyone is looking now that I’m looking. Prices might start going up since more people are switching over
Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would wait for c8 stuff to roll out. I think if anything it will drop the price a lot more.
The following 3 users liked this post by Unreal:
Josh M (06-25-2019), just_a_69 (06-25-2019), yellowzron (07-02-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jayfabs
**** I feel like everyone is looking now that I’m looking. Prices might start going up since more people are switching over
Lol I doubt it, 30k mile ones are being found in the $50 or less range.

Originally Posted by Unreal
I would wait for c8 stuff to roll out. I think if anything it will drop the price a lot more.
True, if I found an IO one I may make the jump after the C8 drops.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:47 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

I have been thinking the same move but I don't wanna sell my Z06. If the prices keep dropping I really might go for it. Also been watching the C7 Z06, they are dropping big time.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:51 AM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

yes it is time to buy if you want a low mileage non molested car you should not wait too long. The newest you'll find is at least 6 years old now.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:04 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
As ZR1's keep dropping and are now in the $40k range, making the jump from a Z06 looks like a good idea. I still cannot bring myself to sell my Z though, I would just add the ZR. What do you guys think?
If you can afford it, go for it. I feel the same way about my Z. And I don't want top lose a bunch of money on it. But if power is what you are after, it is hard to go wrong with the ZR1 modding platform. I would like to have ZR1 as well, but from more of a collector standpoint. I agree with one of the other posts that both the C6 Z and ZR1 will be sought after down the road and the value could stabilize and even go up. The question is where is the bottom on the ZR1. They are getting more attractive for sure, but may have more dropping to do before they hit bottom. The ZR1 has more value potential down the road due to the rarity. Also, the ones that are really dropping in value have more miles on them. I noticed the really low mile cars are still priced pretty high - mid $60s to low $70s.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

I really don't think the C6 Z will go up anymore in value, there are way to many in existence. The ZR1 yes, i can see that going back up over time.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Ben, I will tell you unequivocally the ZR1 is as raw as the Z06... I drove mine about 150 miles today on straight highways and on curvy twisty roads... Night and Day from my H/C/I/E 08C6Z in terms of handling, ride, carving up corners and overall TQ and how quick you can get it to where you want it to go. At this point I am not so sure that I am going to begin modding right away (heavily) as she is quite a handful out of the box. Need to get to know the car and its capabilities. I am glad that I made the switch.

Love me some C6ZR1....
Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by CBMZR1
Ben, I will tell you unequivocally the ZR1 is as raw as the Z06... I drove mine about 150 miles today on straight highways and on curvy twisty roads... Night and Day from my H/C/I/E 08C6Z in terms of handling, ride, carving up corners and overall TQ and how quick you can get it to where you want it to go. At this point I am not so sure that I am going to begin modding right away (heavily) as she is quite a handful out of the box. Need to get to know the car and its capabilities. I am glad that I made the switch.

Love me some C6ZR1....
I hear you, if someone gives me what I ask I will entertain it but I want to have some fun in my Z and she still can pull on stock/bolt-on ZR1’s. The torque is what I hear is a blast. I really would only do intake/tune/exhaust. I hear the LS9 has head issues as well but this time a shop will slap on some heads and I am not fooling with a cam or anything major. I may make the switch sometime or grab one on the side. I do want one. If I find a $50k JSB car and mine sells i am in trouble haha.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:15 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
I hear you, if someone gives me what I ask I will entertain it but I want to have some fun in my Z and she still can pull on stock/bolt-on ZR1’s. The torque is what I hear is a blast. I really would only do intake/tune/exhaust. I hear the LS9 has head issues as well but this time a shop will slap on some heads and I am not fooling with a cam or anything major. I may make the switch sometime or grab one on the side. I do want one. If I find a $50k JSB car and mine sells i am in trouble haha.
friend of mine is selling his 2011 IO zr1. has right around 40k miles if your interested.

IMO people are selling zr1's way too cheap, and with the market I see them rising. I know a few people in the market and just can't find what they want and when they do its sold very fast. there are more buyers then there are sellers. once the c8 hype is gone I expect them to go back up where they were, people are just panic selling or prepping for buying a c8.

Last edited by StealthFRC; 06-25-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 PM
Faste
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFRC
friend of mine is selling his 2011 IO zr1. has right around 40k miles if your interested.

IMO people are selling zr1's way too cheap, and with the market I see them rising. I know a few people in the market and just can't find what they want and when they do its sold very fast. there are more buyers then there are sellers. once the c8 hype is gone I expect them to go back up where they were, people are just panic selling or prepping for buying a c8.
No, 50k+ USD is not cheap for a 10 year old Vette, even a ZR1. Why would someone spend that kind of dough when they can get a new or close to new Z06 with a low low interest rate AND have a newer car with similar performance?

Last edited by Faste; 06-25-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by StealthFRC

PM’d. The picky people will hurt the market, I have many colors I like lol.
Originally Posted by Faste
No, 50k+ USD is not cheap for a 10 year old Vette, even a ZR1. Why would someone spend that kind of dough when they can get a new or close to new Z06 with a low low interest rate AND have a newer car with similar performance?
$50 for a ZR is decent. I would only go C7Z for the interior. The C6ZR in a better street car.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Faste

your right, its not cheap but there is a reason it should be the price it is... go to a car show, there will be 20 c7z and you will be lucky to see 1 zr1. that's what you pay for, a car thats rare, great performer and looks perfect. something that was over engineered and not something that was built for mass production like the c7z. go buy a brand new c7z and be prepared to lose your *** the first year you own it...
Old 06-25-2019, 06:53 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

You think a Busa is enough to hang with a Calvo TT Viper? Lol. ZR1's are definitely not cheap to mod, compared to the Z06. If I ever sold my Z06 I probably would not dive back into a Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it time to buy?

Old 06-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by jayyyw
You think a Busa is enough to hang with a Calvo TT Viper? Lol. ZR1's are definitely not cheap to mod, compared to the Z06. If I ever sold my Z06 I probably would not dive back into a Corvette.
Keep up? Lol. When you have 4xx rwhp they do not matter. I know ZR1’s are not cheap to mod. I have no time to go to the track or Mexico so I really do not care to mod it if I got it anyway. I want to to keep my Z and add a ZR1, which would be dope.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 PM
SilverBulletC6Z
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

My money is still on the calvo TT viper lol
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverBulletC6Z
My money is still on the calvo TT viper lol
When my Busa is 100% done I will put money down. It will be a grudge bike. 4xx is the low end lol. There is a TT Gen 4 here in SC actually. UGR is also 2 hours from me. A 1x or 2R build may be a good run. Bike will spin too much to play with higher hp UGR cars.

Last edited by Innovate; 06-25-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Is it time to buy?