C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long Tube Headers and EGR

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Long Tube Headers and EGR

Now that my ZZ4 Cam install is complete, the next step is a set of long tube headers and dual exhaust.

I want to retain the EGR system and will be removing the A.I.R. system.

Can anyone recommend a set of Long Tubes that will let me keep EGR but eliminate AIR??

Jared
Old 07-14-2019, 08:45 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Now that my ZZ4 Cam install is complete, the next step is a set of long tube headers and dual exhaust.

I want to retain the EGR system and will be removing the A.I.R. system.

Can anyone recommend a set of Long Tubes that will let me keep EGR but eliminate AIR??

Jared
Any exhaust system will allow you to keep the egr. The a.i.r. system and egr are separate entities.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:30 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by 383vett
Any exhaust system will allow you to keep the egr. The a.i.r. system and egr are separate entities.
I get that the EGR and AIR have nothing to do with each other, but the fittings for the EGR and AIR are in the OEM exhaust manifolds/headers.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone is aware of a set of long tubes that has the fitting for EGR and doesn't have the fittings for the AIR...… or is there going to be some welding involved after I purchase my new long tubes. I want to purchase them this next week so am doing the research now.

Jared

Edit: I should probably specify that my car is an 88 and has 113 aluminum heads. The feed for the EGR is external.

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 07-14-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

Tpis long tubes has the port for the EGR. You can cut off the air tubes and weld them shut or cap them off with some SS caps.

Last edited by Deepa; 07-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/57
Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
I get that the EGR and AIR have nothing to do with each other, but the fittings for the EGR and AIR are in the OEM exhaust manifolds/headers.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone is aware of a set of long tubes that has the fitting for EGR and doesn't have the fittings for the AIR...… or is there going to be some welding involved after I purchase my new long tubes. I want to purchase them this next week so am doing the research now.

Jared

Edit: I should probably specify that my car is an 88 and has 113 aluminum heads. The feed for the EGR is external.
Gotcha
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 PM
06_LT1
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a used set of Exotic Muscle long-tube headers a few years back - they had the correct EGR fittings, and the stock EGR hardware bolted right up. I do not recall any other fittings, but I may have smoked that part of the ol' cortex.

Be careful when you remove the EGR hardware from the stock manifolds if you haven't already done so - they don't tolerate manhandling very well.

Last edited by 06_LT1; 07-16-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:43 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by 06_LT1
I bought a used set of Exotic Muscle long-tube headers a few years back - they had the correct EGR fittings, and the stock EGR hardware bolted right up. I do not recall any other fittings, but I may have smoked that part of the ol' cortex.

Be careful when you remove the EGR hardware from the stock manifolds if you haven't already done so - they don't tolerate manhandling very well.
The EGR Tube for the Aluminum Head L98 is just a single tube/fitting on the passenger side manifold. You might be referring to the AIR fittings, they are in both manifolds.

I think I am going to go with a set of the 68446 Hedman Hedders. I will figure out the EGR tube issue after I get them loosely fit.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

Jared

Get notified of new replies

To Long Tube Headers and EGR

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers and EGR