Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

WTB: Anyone know this 427 vert?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Anyone know this 427 vert?

I noticed this ad on a certain auction site and I've been casually looking at 427 verts and I had never seen this color combo. I love it but if you look at the description, it notes that it was a lemon GM buyback but that GM basically fixed everything. I called the dealership selling and asked if they had any specfic info on what was done and or repaired on the car but they said they have no info. I know buying a car with a tainted title is risky but geez the price is 10K below market and it sure is purty. Anyone know the car?

Last edited by jerkyboy; 07-22-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 PM
jmneill
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Even at 10 under I'd want a warranty thrown in.

They tried to fix it repeatedly, unsuccessfully, or it wouldn't be where it is today.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Well I sure wouldn't touch that with a10-foot pole!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:45 PM
MeHeartCorvettes
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jmneill
Even at 10 under I'd want a warranty thrown in.

They tried to fix it repeatedly, unsuccessfully, or it wouldn't be where it is today.
Not necessarily true. Many states have manufacturer buyback laws that are incredibly favorable to the consumer. In states where the buyback laws are extremely favorable (i.e. California), many consumers use the law to their advantage when they find themselves in “over their head” financially on a car such as this. There could be absolutely nothing wrong with the car - it very well could have been repurchased because the owner couldn’t swing the payments and they used the law to their benefit. Conversely, there could have been something wrong with the car, it was bought back and fixed. Or lastly, there could still be some underlying issue, but that’s the risk you take on a manufacturer buyback. If you’re getting a warranty, it could definitely be worth the risk. It all depends on your appetite for risk.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

The color combo really caught my eye. I've never considered a car with a marked title however if it was motor related, for the price I could build the motor and still be in under market. The heads would have to be addressed regardless but maybe that was part of the buyback repair. I wonder how you would find out exactly what GM did to the car? That's why I posted and hoped this might have been somebody's car here on the forum (or nightmare)
Old 07-23-2019, 09:47 AM
jmneill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MeHeartCorvettes
Not necessarily true. Many states have manufacturer buyback laws that are incredibly favorable to the consumer. In states where the buyback laws are extremely favorable (i.e. California),.
Excluding Kali, would you mind naming a dozen of them, and of course, their incredibly favorable protections.

I think by many, you may actually mean a few.

The overwhelming odds are this car was in and out of the shop a painful number of times, or at the very least the dealer or dealers were unwilling or incapable of repairing it for an extended duration.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 AM
dklumpp
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I would go to your Chevy dealer and they can do a VIN search for gm service records or you can car fax the car and it should show some service history. You should be able to find what the complaint was. Most of the time they are minor issues that can never be duplicated or parts for the repair were on backorder for longer than the state in question allows which enables buyback or lemon law. Sometimes you can't please a picky pain in the *** customer and they buy it back just to resolve the issue. I wouldn't worry about it being a major issue if it was they would have fixed the car. Gm is not in the business of buying cars back
Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 AM
dklumpp
Pro

That is a killer color combo though I love it!
Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Did some research and found a CARFAX. Purchased in SD and first owner moved to FL. Within 4K miles the vette was at Starling Chevy in FL for "engine check" 3 times, charging system checked, body electrical system check, and "driveablity/performance checked. Car sold (when the buyback occured I assume) and same dealership reported another "Engine Check". Goes to auction. Another Chevy dealer in FL picks it up and is in dealer inventory for 1200 miles. 3rd owner in FL has the car to Dyer Chevy and there is more electrical system checks, Battery/charging check, headlights replaced (odd was there a recall?), convertible top replaced (weird again), starter replaced, then ENGINE REPLACED, followed by more electricla system checks then sold by 3rd owner. Car makes it way to NC with the 4th owner and then sold after 3K miles to the listing dealer back in NJ.

Sounds like major electrical problems with the car and a new engine. What an orphan
The following users liked this post:
jmneill (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 03:41 PM
dklumpp
Pro

As the old saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade! I wouldn't mess with electrical issues on that for sure
Old 07-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Even if you get a fantastic warranty for 10 years, it could still be a pain in the rear if you are constantly dealing with problems.
The following users liked this post:
jmneill (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:06 PM
jmneill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmneill
The overwhelming odds are this car was in and out of the shop a painful number of times

I'll just quote me...
Old 07-23-2019, 10:30 PM
Vicious_Cycle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

It possibly belonged to forum member REAL427 so you might want to message him.
It possibly had the engine replaced.
It probably had other issues, as well. Does the VIN end in 2088?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Does the VIN end in 2088?

Sure does
Old 07-25-2019, 12:15 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Have your Chevy dealer run a GMVIS report, that will tell you everything that a GM dealer did to the car

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know this 427 vert?

Quick Reply: WTB: Anyone know this 427 vert?