C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's required to remove the rear spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 05:08 PM
Rob Via
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default What's required to remove the rear spring?

I want to replace the height adjustment bolts since the rubber is shot and I want to adjust the ride height. I did the front. Moving the knuckle on the front is not too bad since there is no drive shaft.
I watched a video of someone pulling the rear spring and he disconnected the shock and sway bar link on one side and was able to get the spring out. Is that all it usually takes? I really don't want to take ball joints apart on the rear if I don't have to. I don't think I can get the bolt out of the end of the spring with it in the car.
Pulling the spring seems like the best option for this.
Other opinions? Link to good videos on doing this? All help is appreciated.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:26 AM
robert.m.kalis
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

The attached procedure is what I just used to pull out the height adjuster. If you do one side at a time there is no need to pull the spring.
Attached Images
Old 05-01-2024, 08:16 AM
Rob Via
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been soaking the bolts with PB for over a week now. I am still expecting to strip them if I try and spin the bolts with the spring in the car. At that point, I expect to take the spring out to be able to finish the job.
If the spring will come out without touching the control arms, I think that is the way to go.

Last edited by Rob Via; 05-01-2024 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:28 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Rob
Here's something you can try that's worked better than even PB Blaster for me. Background: I have worked on old woodworking machines in the past and it's not uncommon to find bolts that are rusted solid to the point you have to cut or break them off or so I thought. Over the years, someone told me about making a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Soak the fastener up with it, let it sit a while and most times it will work better than PB Blaster, WD40 and most of the other products I've tried over the years. I also like to use a low impact pneumatic wrench to try and break the fastener loose. I've used it and gotten a lot of fasteners broken loose I fully expected would break off and require drilling out.
If you want, try it and it may surprise you. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To What's required to remove the rear spring?

Quick Reply: What's required to remove the rear spring?